NCL stirs up the gratuity game

SantaFeFan

So you don't know three countries (that have high representation of tipped employees on cruise ships) that tax tips and wages differently.

Don't feel bad, Goggle doesn't know either [emoji14].

I can guess 3 countries and a particular European region that make up majority of cruise service staffstaffv especially on NCL and Carnival. But you know what? That's between the employee, the contractor agency / employer, employee's country of origin and/or ship's registry problem; not mine to rack my head over.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Gee, you asked me questions then answered for me?? You apparently missed my post that said WE ALWAYS PAY THE GRATUITY!!!!. My point has been that the payment of gratuity is "voluntary" and therefore a person who decides not to pay it shouldn't be called names or made fun of.

You are not going to get through to the self-righteous, judgmental ones on this forum. Do it their way or don't cruise.

You are not going to get through to the self-righteous, judgmental ones on this forum. Do it their way or don't cruise.

Well considering what NCL just did 3 weeks that just coming out this week - Yeah, pretty much have to on that line......

This thread should be either locked or deleted soon. Husky61 keeps on until that happens. :rolleyes: Must be the way he gets his jollys. Another one on the form is locked. He asked me for an example regarding one of his comments - knowing that that thread was deleted. Does anyone see a pattern with the guy?

Living wage: a wage which is high enough to maintain a normal standard of living

For those that were asking ;)

The UK's current estimate of a living wage is £7.20 ($12) outside of London.Unfortunately, the national minimum wage is 50p less than that.

Edited by Velvetwater

So then tell me, do I tip or not tip?

Just decide for yourself. After all, you have appointed yourself the dual role of expert on these matters AND the advocate for those that think they are above being kind and generous by willingly refusing to go along with a policy that really isn't that difficult to understand OR follow.

The amount of energy that some people use up to justify their reasons why they should be able to stiff the staff is mind boggling. :rolleyes:

I elect you the leader of the "WE'RE TAKING OUR GRATUITIES BACK" movement.

TAKING%20OUR%20GRATUITIES%20BACK.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

This thread should be either locked or deleted soon. Husky61 keeps on until that happens. :rolleyes: Must be the way he gets his jollys. Another one on the form is locked. He asked me for an example regarding one of his comments - knowing that that thread was deleted. Does anyone see a pattern with the guy?

Well you know- he's just a poodle wearing a duck outfit because really no need to get one knickers in bunch over comments written in general/neutral that wasn't specific naming a poster. But whatever, if the mod's shut it down, I won't object - its their forum, their rules.

So who is calling people names now? You complain when others do so, and then you jump right in and do it yourself. How can anyone trust anything you say when you change your values at your whim? :confused: :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Quite simple, everyone else needs to do things the way you do.:rolleyes:

No, but they need to pay what the cost of cruising encompasses. What way would you suggest or is that $200-300 dollars such a burden that they shouldn't pay it at all? You were the one who brought up scrimping and saving so they can just scrimp and save a bit longer......that's all. BTW, :rolleyes:

I have read through innumerable posts on this subject. The bottom line is that these people are cheap! They come up with all kinds of reasons not to leave the auto tip on that do not wash.

The bottom line is when you are paying hundreds of dollars a day for a cruise, you can certainly afford the auto tip.

I almost put these folks in the same league with ones who want to wear shorts in the MDR because they do not want to pay an extra $25 to have enough luggage to have something decent to wear.

Please pass the popcorn.

Edited by Talisker92

Why would anyone want to remove the DSC in the first place

It would have to be a really bad cruise for someone to remove all of the SC

I looked at the form & the way I read it was if you contacted their customer service about a problem & the ship was unable to fix the problem then you can remove or adjust your SC

The new program just makes people make the request in writing after the cruise

ymmv

I have no dog in the fight ..if I have a problem I speak to someone on the ship at the time of the problem & usually it is fixed

no worries

people will do what ever they want

Many people remove them after others have prepaid them for the cash.

First, it is "their" money and not the money of the crew and they don't have to justify any reason why they want it back.

Secondly, why must you resort to name calling of people who don't agree with your tipping policy? They have their reasons for not tipping and I don't see why it is your or my concern. I guess it does however guarantee you the opportunity to continue to name call.

And lastly, how do you know what their reason is for not tipping? Oh wait, is it because you think they are cheapskates and not a couple who scrimped and saved for the cruise and the extra 2 to 3 hundred dollars for tips means a lot to them?:rolleyes:

If you can't afford the few bucks to tip the crew that provides you service directly but you are willing to pay the cruise line and "tip" the main office, you shouldn't cruise. You don't go to a sit down restaurant in the US without planning on having to tip.

If you can't afford the few bucks to tip the crew that provides you service directly but you are willing to pay the cruise line and "tip" the main office, you shouldn't cruise. You don't go to a sit down restaurant in the US without planning on having to tip.

No, no, no. You have it wrong. Husky not only leaves the auto tip on, he tips extra, probably more then us. He said so earlier in the thread.

No, no, no. You have it wrong. Husky not only leaves the auto tip on, he tips extra, probably more then us. He said so earlier in the thread.

It is so very nice to see that some people are so much better than we common and average people. Huskey61 is a fine example of the perfect person. Not only is he the self appointed advocate for the poor who are so destitute that can't afford to tip while on their cruise, he reassures us that he is probably much more generous than the average person, single-handedly making the world whole again.

God bless his large, oversized heart. May he be rewarded with the biggest tip jar on his well earned last cruise to heaven.

0.jpg

I mean this from the heart of my bottom.

.... ooops, I meant from the bottom of my heart. My mistake! :eek:

Edited by PTMary

A recent news article on CC reports that NCL has introduced a policy where anyone who wants to remove their gratuities must do so by contacting the cruise line AFTER the cruise is over. The article has a very active readers comments section. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6529

I am not an NCL fan, but for this I think they have done the right thing. All cruise lines should take this approach. Then the cheapskates will have to make that extra effort to stiff the crew.

So basically you can be quite friendly to the staff; face to face and give them every indication that you are paying the full wack tipwise no need to go to hide in the buffet final night to avoid them or anything like that. To obtain the most tip top excellent service and lovely ambience. Just shake hands last day in the MDR with all your waiters etc. and slope off home where you can send off your form and get all your money back.

I am bewildered.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Our Province's minimum wage is $11 CAD per hr

Liquor server $9.55 CAD per hr

will increase Oct 1st

I will bet the crew will not get anything close to that

In all discussions of this sort, it would help to remember that the only reason most of us can afford to cruise at all, receiving the sort of service we do, is the difference in living standards which exists between the home countries of we who cruise and the home countries of those who serve us while we cruise.

So then tell me, do I tip or not tip?

I have no idea if you tip or not. I suspect no one on this forum does either. Unless, of course, they either know who you are and looked over your shoulder on a cruise at some point or they searched every single post you have ever made on CC and in one you mentioned it.;)

The practical me wouldn't mind having the DSC rolled into the base fair and be done with it. However, the contrarian/libertarian me would like to have the option of removing the DSC or any of the lines' "Tips" if the service was really really bad. I don't think that would ever happen but it might. Others might want that option if the service was only really bad, or just bad, or for whatever reason. If I want my option, who am I to tell others they can't have theirs.

NCL is making the removal option a bit harder and this may dissuade some people from removing the DSC for minor issues which is fine by me - it gives the cruisers time for some refection or a sober second thought, if you will. (The Canucks here will know that phrase).

For those cruisers who remove the DSC or "tips" habitually NCL's new procedure will not make much of a difference in their behavior. I may not like their behavior but, frankly it is none of my business. It is an issue between the cruise line, its employees and those people. If it becomes a huge issue NCL could always make the DSC non-removable. If that happens we will see if the practical me or the contrarian/libertarian me prevails. Most likely the cheapskate me will prevail and I would still cruise on NCL if the price was right.:);)

Edited by DirtyDawg

I have no idea if you tip or not. I suspect no one on this forum does either. Unless, of course, they either know who you are and looked over your shoulder on a cruise at some point or they searched every single post you have ever made on CC and in one you mentioned it.;)

The practical me wouldn't mind having the DSC rolled into the base fair and be done with it. However, the contrarian/libertarian me would like to have the option of removing the DSC or any of the lines' "Tips" if the service was really really bad. I don't think that would ever happen but it might. Others might want that option if the service was only really bad, or just bad, or for whatever reason. If I want my option, who am I to tell others they can't have theirs.

NCL is making the removal option a bit harder and this may dissuade some people from removing the DSC for minor issues which is fine by me - it gives the cruisers time for some refection or a sober second thought, if you will. (The Canucks here will know that phrase).

For those cruisers who remove the DSC or "tips" habitually NCL's new procedure will not make much of a difference in their behavior. I may not like their behavior but, frankly it is none of my business. It is an issue between the cruise line, its employees and those people. If it becomes a huge issue NCL could always make the DSC non-removable. If that happens we will see if the practical me or the contrarian/libertarian me prevails. Most likely the cheapskate me will prevail and I would still cruise on NCL if the price was right.:);)

The only true differences between the old way and this new way is - under the old way (current on other lines) you can remove it before it hits the credit card / reconciliated the account before disemark. Under the new NCL way - its all after disembark, meaning they already collected it on the credit card / OBC/ Debit/ Cash connected to the card. Old way - got it back in minutes from guest services during the trip. New way - getting it back days/ weeks from the corporate office all after the trip.

Very sobering thought to think about and you're right - only the downright super serious are going to apply.

So basically you can be quite friendly to the staff; face to face and give them every indication that you are paying the full wack tipwise no need to go to hide in the buffet final night to avoid them or anything like that. To obtain the most tip top excellent service and lovely ambience. Just shake hands last day in the MDR with all your waiters etc. and slope off home where you can send off your form and get all your money back.

I am bewildered.

Regards John

If you read the actual form

You have to actually have a service issue, then report it to the customer service then if they cannot resolve it you can get the form to send in for your refund

before you just need to go to the front desk & make up a problem or say you will pay in cash;)