NCL stirs up the gratuity game

SantaFeFan

The more I think of this - and read some of the anti-auto-gratuity posts - the more I see the brilliance of NCLs new policy. Now, shore side will have a digitized, central record of every request for gratuities to be removed and the stated reason in the passenger's own handwriting.

Those who repeatedly complain for no legitimate reason can be told that their needs will best be served on another line.

Then there will be the Cheap Charlie or Wightwad Wallis who state that they are removing gratuities 1) because they can, 2) it's their money, 3) NCL is lining their corporate pockets with it, or 4) they're scrimping and $200-$300 means a lot to them. They can also be told that the hard working staff does their utmost to provide an enjoyable holiday, but their needs will best be served on another line.

As for those who say they will never again sail on NCL due to this policy - I'm sure the crew will be happy to see them take their business elsewhere.

This might permit cruise lines to exercise an optional follow-up - people who have repeatedly removed the DSC could be simply be referred to other lines, or given the the alternative of paying a higher base fare, thereby satisfying their "ethical" objections to the DSC concept.

This might permit cruise lines to exercise an optional follow-up - people who have repeatedly removed the DSC could be simply be referred to other lines, or given the the alternative of paying a higher base fare, thereby satisfying their "ethical" objections to the DSC concept.

Here is how a Princess Cruise Booking Confirmation list cost:

Fare: $--------

Vacation Protection: $--------

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses: $-------

TOTAL

Gratuities are not listed on the confirmation but are listed on the web site, $11.50 to $12.00 per day per person. So a passenger knows to add this to their total. Princess does allow a passenger to remove the payment of gratuities and decide for one's self if you want to give individuals a cash tip.

NCL could add to their confirmation their "Daily Service Charge" and everyone would know what their cost will be. You can then decide to accept the cost or search other cruise lines. I would respect the cruise line for being upfront with their pricing.

NCL could add to their confirmation their "Daily Service Charge" and everyone would know what their cost will be. You can then decide to accept the cost or search other cruise lines. I would respect the cruise line for being upfront with their pricing.

do you mean like this :confused:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

looks pretty clear to me :rolleyes:

It is their constitutional right :D

No wait just a minute: I'm pretty well edjamacated but have never read in the Constitution that I have a right to complain about being told up front what my charges will be if I book a sailing. Calling my lawyer right now! :D

There you go! In writing, up front for all to see. So, why are some of the posters so upset?

There's a super simple answer to that but unfortunately, it involves calling something that quacks, moves and looks a duck, a duck. And we know how some people get upset that they are quacking and flapping their wings, even though no one is actually naming them in their posts and wasn't even talking about specifically (AKA 'You're so vain, probably thing this whole thread is about you, Don't you? Don't you?")

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

There's a super simple answer to that but unfortunately, it involves calling something that quacks, moves and looks a duck, a duck. And we know how some people get upset that they are quacking and flapping their wings, even though no one is actually naming them in their posts and wasn't even talking about specifically (AKA 'You're so vain, probably thing this whole thread is about you, Don't you? Don't you?")

Seriously, I do believe that a lot of times peoples complaints are a matter that they did not do the research, or completely read the paperwork or simply ask the right questions, i.e. are there any other fees/charges that I need to know about? We do a ton of research every time we start looking at a cruise or cruise line. We even go so far as to, once booked, study the deck plans, if it is a ship we haven't been on before. Guess you could say we are a little anal. ;)

do you mean like this :confused:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

looks pretty clear to me :rolleyes:

There you go! In writing, up front for all to see. So, why are some of the posters so upset?

Except you would only see that if you searched through the FAQ. If NCL wanted to truly be transparent they should include it in the pricing details when you are booking a cruise. It isn't now, this was taken from today:

21328905210_b29a2744cf_z.jpg

Except you would only see that if you searched through the FAQ. If NCL wanted to truly be transparent they should include it in the pricing details when you are booking a cruise. It isn't now, this was taken from today:

You are very right...it could be placed right there on the cost page but until it is done (if ever), a passenger should always search, search, search, then use sites like Cruise Critic to ask others.

You are very right...it could be placed right there on the cost page but until it is done (if ever), a passenger should always search, search, search, then use sites like Cruise Critic to ask others.

They could and some will be people using a cruise sites FAQ page or something like Cruise Critic would be a very small number of people in the overall cruise industry.

You're forgotting about the actual MyNCL website that you have to make a login account. Its under the vacation summary under the 'Pre-pay Service Charges' and it says ' We are unable to display thia option at this time", then give them a call to ask what the amount is. Or wait a few days and it will magically appear - their website has issues....

They could and some will be people using a cruise sites FAQ page or something like Cruise Critic would be a very small number of people in the overall cruise industry.

Consumer be ware!, something I learned many, (way too many) years ago. One only needs to look at a tv commercial and hit the pause button when those tiny tiny tinny words are displayed at the bottom of the screen: (This discount is only for sales of $15,000.00, completed on the second Tuesday of the thirteenth month following the eclipse).

You're forgotting about the actual MyNCL website that you have to make a login account. Its under the vacation summary under the 'Pre-pay Service Charges' and it says ' We are unable to display thia option at this time", then give them a call to ask what the amount is. Or wait a few days and it will magically appear - their website has issues....

But my point is that if anyone decides to do a search on their site in order to compare cruises the total price should be displayed at that point. It isn't and that is a problem, they are not being upfront about the actual cost of the cruise.

But my point is that if anyone decides to do a search on their site in order to compare cruises the total price should be displayed at that point. It isn't and that is a problem, they are not being upfront about the actual cost of the cruise.

I agree that it would certainly be great for the passenger to see everything up front but again, the consumer needs to take some responsibility and ask questions, even if you begin searching a cruise and get a price, take a screen shot and call the cruise line and ask, what are the additional charges I will have?

Most people do not even read their invoice they receive to know when their FP is due so it does not surprise me they do not read the T & C 's of any cruise line

My TA sends me an invoice when I book.... it has date of payments, cancellation penalties etc

The DSC could easily be added to the list

ALL cruise lines could just add the DSC into the fares as a cruise tax, resort tax or whatever name they dream up

or just raise the bottom line so they can pay the wages of the crew without having to break it all down for the consumer who is just looking at the bottom line

NO TIPPING REQUIRED used to be the slogan for one cruise line in the past just make it for all lines & everyone will think they are getting a great deal:D

Off my soapbox

no point in beating a dead horse or duck any further ;)

Check out what I found for your listening pleasure. :p See, I do know how to do a web search :rolleyes:

LOL! Music was so much more sophisticated in the "old days". ;)

I have never reported a post to the moderators, even if it is an insult to me. If I don't like it, I simply move on. Some on these boards have tissue paper thin skins, and have to run to the moderators - just like Tattle Tale Duck in the song - every time they read something they don't like.

I have no use for intolerant people like that.

Edited by sloopsailor

Here is how a Princess Cruise Booking Confirmation list cost:

Fare: $--------

Vacation Protection: $--------

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses: $-------

TOTAL

Gratuities are not listed on the confirmation but are listed on the web site, $11.50 to $12.00 per day per person. So a passenger knows to add this to their total. Princess does allow a passenger to remove the payment of gratuities and decide for one's self if you want to give individuals a cash tip.

Why not complain that the cruise line does not enter line items for every other

type of DISCRETIONARY additional cost? Say: BEER, WINE, MIXED DRINKS; and ART PURCHASES; and SOUVENIRS; and LAUNDRY/DRY CLEANING; and INTERNET.

These are all items which may, OR MAY NOT, add to the cost the passenger must be prepared to pay. Because the passenger has the ability to remove the DSC, it is no more a CERTAIN cost factor than any other discretionary expense.

How far must the line go to protect the feckless from their laziness? Anyone spending many hundreds, or thousands, on a cruise who does not do enough homework to find out what he is, or is not, buying.

By your rationale, car dealers should advise purchasers of tire replacement costs, oil change expenses, and why not reasonably anticipated parking fees?

Why not complain that the cruise line does not enter line items for every other

type of DISCRETIONARY additional cost? Say: BEER, WINE, MIXED DRINKS; and ART PURCHASES; and SOUVENIRS; and LAUNDRY/DRY CLEANING; and INTERNET.

These are all items which may, OR MAY NOT, add to the cost the passenger must be prepared to pay. Because the passenger has the ability to remove the DSC, it is no more a CERTAIN cost factor than any other discretionary expense.

How far must the line go to protect the feckless from their laziness? Anyone spending many hundreds, or thousands, on a cruise who does not do enough homework to find out what he is, or is not, buying.

By your rationale, car dealers should advise purchasers of tire replacement costs, oil change expenses, and why not reasonably anticipated parking fees?

But these are no longer discretionary costs.