NCL stirs up the gratuity game

SantaFeFan

In all discussions of this sort, it would help to remember that the only reason most of us can afford to cruise at all, receiving the sort of service we do, is the difference in living standards which exists between the home countries of we who cruise and the home countries of those who serve us while we cruise.

I do realize that

I was asking what people who think the cruise line should pay a living wage what that amount should be?

see post #89

We are very lucky to live in Canada where we can make enough money to afford to cruise

Edited by LHT28

The only true differences between the old way and this new way is - under the old way (current on other lines) you can remove it before it hits the credit card / reconciliated the account before disemark. Under the new NCL way - its all after disembark, meaning they already collected it on the credit card / OBC/ Debit/ Cash connected to the card. Old way - got it back in minutes from guest services during the trip. New way - getting it back days/ weeks from the corporate office all after the trip.

You left out the important part

in the new way you actually have to report the problem onboard before you get the form to send in once you are home

For those cruisers who remove the DSC or "tips" habitually NCL's new procedure will not make much of a difference in their behavior. I may not like their behavior but, frankly it is none of my business.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment. I think undeservedly stiffing the crew is pretty crappy too, but what others do and how other people get paid is none of my business. Now that I've had time to digest NCL's new policy, I think it sucks because of the immediate recourse it takes away from people who have legitmate service problems. NCL has made a lot of controversial decisions lately and not that I was a big NCL fan to begin with, but I certainly don't like their current direction.

You left out the important part

in the new way you actually have to report the problem onboard before you get the form to send in once you are home

With NCL, they had that language regarding having a service issue on their FAQ since last year. But you have to remember - the guest contract supersedes whatever the FAQ says. Unfortunately, it states the DSC is at the discretion of the guest to lower or raise but what it doesn't say is 'When, How and Whom' (this is where the evil brilliance of this new policy shines and my god its evil - in a good outside-the- box way as couple people have stated what the side effects are).

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

With NCL, they had that language regarding having a service issue on their FAQ since last year. But you have to remember - the guest contract supersedes whatever the FAQ says. Unfortunately, it states the DSC is at the discretion of the guest to lower or raise but what it doesn't say is 'When, How and Whom' (this is where the evil brilliance of this new policy shines and my god its evil - in a good outside-the- box way as couple people have stated what the side effects are).

it will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the upcoming months or it may be just much ado about nothing ...as usual :D

Why call them cheapskates ? If they tip in cash, at least they know where their money is going, and NCL is purposely vague about how the DSC is distributed.

The people you are calling cheapskates may give much more in cash than the DSC

BTW -- Name calling is not acceptable on CC per Laura.

Swedish weave.. I am unable to reply to the email you sent to me because you have me blocked.. sorry, but this is not my board to moderate if you direct your email to hosts ann or host Sheila, perhaps they can help you.. at the bottom of the first page of each forum you will see the name or names of the moderators..

Edited by Host Star

Are you able to substantiate your claim?

Don't hold your breath. It is very clear that he cannot. Why else would he give such an evasive answer to a simple and relevant question? Bottom line: there are no facts available to prove his made-up claims.

Edited by sloopsailor

Swedish weave.. I am unable to reply to the email you sent to me because you have me blocked.. sorry, but this is not my board to moderate if you direct your email to hosts ann or host Sheila, perhaps they can help you.. at the bottom of the first page of each forum you will see the name or names of the moderators..

Host Star -- I apologize for the misunderstanding. The email went to my suspected spam file and I did not recognize the name as being you.

Your attempts to clean up some of the bad stuff on the CC boards is appreciated by many of us, and I hope the other moderators take the same stand as you have.

I don't know if I agree with that. First, going to the service desk to remove the DSC is a lot harder than the old cash-in-envelope system where non-tippers simply didn't tip.

The new NCL system via telephone takes away that personal interaction, so some people will probably find it much easier to remove their DSC. If they were willing to do it in person, I really doubt they will find it more difficult to do it via telephone.

The new system is not via telephone. A person who wants to remove the service charge has to request its removal and give a reason. This gives the ship's staff an opportunity to rectify the presumably unsatisfactory service which generated the desire to remove the charge. If the service improves, the complaining passenger will presumably let the service charge stay in place. If the service does not improve or (as may be more likely) the passenger waited until the last day to complain, then the passenger is given a form which he must complete and transmit to the line.

Actually putting something in writing and transmitting it to the line is very different from simply doing it by telephone. It probably also allows the line to maintain a record in their data base so they will be able to recognize repeaters- of which, based upon some of the posts here on CC, I feel there may be a number.

The new system is not via telephone. A person who wants to remove the service charge has to request its removal and give a reason. This gives the ship's staff an opportunity to rectify the presumably unsatisfactory service which generated the desire to remove the charge. If the service improves, the complaining passenger will presumably let the service charge stay in place. If the service does not improve or (as may be more likely) the passenger waited until the last day to complain, then the passenger is given a form which he must complete and transmit to the line.

Actually putting something in writing and transmitting it to the line is very different from simply doing it by telephone. It probably also allows the line to maintain a record in their data base so they will be able to recognize repeaters- of which, based upon some of the posts here on CC, I feel there may be a number.

If it discourages people from removing tips for their own convenience, and not due to actual service issues, I am all for this. Although it is none of my business how other people treat the staff, it is my business how the staff treats me. If they have had a rash of selfish people removing the gratuities for no good reason on prior cruises, the staff affected can't be blamed for suffering from lowered moral. Poor moral can affect the level of service they provide to others. So, in a sense, people cheating the staff out of their well deserved income can affect the rest of us.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Your refusal to provide proof says it all. :p

CPT Trips - there is an old saying: don't argue with the ignorant- you might find yourself pulled down to their level --- where they can beat you with experience. I look forward to further discussion as we head south from New York in late February

Gotcha. Yeah, NMLady corrected me on that earlier. I'm more in agreeance with your opinion now. :)

CPT Trips - there is an old saying: don't argue with the ignorant- you might find yourself pulled down to their level --- where they can beat you with experience. I look forward to further discussion as we head south from New York in late February

You think maybe that's the name of Donny T's scalp cover? :D

If you read the actual form

You have to actually have a service issue, then report it to the customer service then if they cannot resolve it you can get the form to send in for your refund

before you just need to go to the front desk & make up a problem or say you will pay in cash;)

never read the article( and no plans to ever sail the line) but if this is true then the biggest complaints will be from the ones who claim to remove the tips so they can 'tip in cash personally'

You think maybe that's the name of Donny T's scalp cover? :D

Possibly, but a "weave" suggests some cross-over, or interlocking, of the strands. The absence of any such pattern suggests to me that Donny T is simply playing that old game of Bald Man's Bluff.

It's actually artificial turf keep flexible by all the hot air directly beneath it.

I thought it was - "Don't ever wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it". Or maybe it is both. LOL!!

DON

The more I think of this - and read some of the anti-auto-gratuity posts - the more I see the brilliance of NCLs new policy. Now, shore side will have a digitized, central record of every request for gratuities to be removed and the stated reason in the passenger's own handwriting.

Those who repeatedly complain for no legitimate reason can be told that their needs will best be served on another line.

Then there will be the Cheap Charlie or Wightwad Wallis who state that they are removing gratuities 1) because they can, 2) it's their money, 3) NCL is lining their corporate pockets with it, or 4) they're scrimping and $200-$300 means a lot to them. They can also be told that the hard working staff does their utmost to provide an enjoyable holiday, but their needs will best be served on another line.

As for those who say they will never again sail on NCL due to this policy - I'm sure the crew will be happy to see them take their business elsewhere.

The more I think of this - and read some of the anti-auto-gratuity posts - the more I see the brilliance of NCLs new policy. Now, shore side will have a digitized, central record of every request for gratuities to be removed and the stated reason in the passenger's own handwriting.

Those who repeatedly complain for no legitimate reason can be told that their needs will best be served on another line.

Then there will be the Cheap Charlie or Wightwad Wallis who state that they are removing gratuities 1) because they can, 2) it's their money, 3) NCL is lining their corporate pockets with it, or 4) they're scrimping and $200-$300 means a lot to them. They can also be told that the hard working staff does their utmost to provide an enjoyable holiday, but their needs will best be served on another line.

As for those who say they will never again sail on NCL due to this policy - I'm sure the crew will be happy to see them take their business elsewhere.

I know - its so diabolically evil, its brilliant! And that's just on the premise and setup alone - let's not even get started with all the US state laws involves on the embark /disemark ports, let alone the federal ones! Plus all those scenarios with credit cards companies & banks - it like 'Holy crap!'.

And funniest thing about the discussion on CC - some people who are claiming to remove the DSC are stilm saying that going sail with NCL again in the future! That basically giving NCL free advertisement - "I hate the line with all their rules and changes, but I'm still going to sail on it anyway!". Its like go right ahead and look like a fool because a reasonable person who want their DSC without hassle and a 2 week waiting period is going to cruise with a completely different line!

Having never sailed on NCL before, I am going to make a couple of assumptions and anyone with knowledge who would like to correct me, please do. First, I assume that NCL, like other cruise lines, had in place a "gratuities" program that billed you either before the cruise, during the cruise or at the end of the cruise; I am assuming that they have now changed that program to a "daily service charge" or "DSC" that is billed as part of your cruise fare, much like the port charges and fees; I am also assuming that if someone wants to have the DSC removed from their billing, there is a process to get that done although many are explaining that it is cumbersome.

Assuming that my assumptions are correct, it would seem that NCL could have just advertised that they were doing away with the "gratuities" element and replacing it with a "daily service charge" and like port charges and fees, can only be changed if the ship misses a port or the port changes their fees. I look at this the same as staying at a hotel; you get billed for the room, tax, state occupancy tax and a local occupancy tax. I would suggest that NCL just make it a charge/fee that can not be reduced or changed, unless of course the cruise is cancelled or the length of the cruise is changed. Those that are loyal to NCL will remain and those that want a choice of whether or not to pay "gratuities" will go to other cruise lines.

Having never sailed on NCL before, I am going to make a couple of assumptions and anyone with knowledge who would like to correct me, please do. First, I assume that NCL, like other cruise lines, had in place a "gratuities" program that billed you either before the cruise, during the cruise or at the end of the cruise; I am assuming that they have now changed that program to a "daily service charge" or "DSC" that is billed as part of your cruise fare, much like the port charges and fees; I am also assuming that if someone wants to have the DSC removed from their billing, there is a process to get that done although many are explaining that it is cumbersome.

Assuming that my assumptions are correct, it would seem that NCL could have just advertised that they were doing away with the "gratuities" element and replacing it with a "daily service charge" and like port charges and fees, can only be changed if the ship misses a port or the port changes their fees. I look at this the same as staying at a hotel; you get billed for the room, tax, state occupancy tax and a local occupancy tax. I would suggest that NCL just make it a charge/fee that can not be reduced or changed, unless of course the cruise is cancelled or the length of the cruise is changed. Those that are loyal to NCL will remain and those that want a choice of whether or not to pay "gratuities" will go to other cruise lines.

The only difference is NCL calls their automatically added gratuities/tips, service charges - people on CC calls it DSC for quicker typing and the 'D' can stand for either daily or discretionary (the legalese with NCL is astounding - one have to really pay attention to the details, especially on the United States website because that whom it primarily affects). Otherwise, your post almost right - this change makes it close to mandatory as it gets to the point that they might as well say it outright.

The only difference is NCL calls their automatically added gratuities/tips, service charges - people on CC calls it DSC for quicker typing and the 'D' can stand for either daily or discretionary (the legalese with NCL is astounding - one have to really pay attention to the details, especially on the United States website because that whom it primarily affects). Otherwise, your post almost right - this change makes it close to mandatory as it gets to the point that they might as well say it outright.

Thanks! I don't mind mandatory fees or charges as long as I know about them up front. When we plan for a cruise, and you can see we plan well ahead, we like to know exactly what the cruise will cost, excursion will cost, etc. so if it is shown on their boarding summary when we book, we are ok with it.

Thanks! I don't mind mandatory fees or charges as long as I know about them up front. When we plan for a cruise, and you can see we plan well ahead, we like to know exactly what the cruise will cost, excursion will cost, etc. so if it is shown on their boarding summary when we book, we are ok with it.

Agreed - that's why I'm liking cruising more than other vacation types right now because basically there's 2 things that are mandatory costs but they're not hidden from view. Those are services charges / auto gratuities -tips and the cruise fare, otherwise everything else is not important or mandatory to enjoy your trip; unless you truly need or want it to enhance your vacation experience/enjoyment/comfort such as spa, specialty dining, wine, etc.

I guess that's why it so humorous reading the posts of DCS-removers that take off because they don't want to pay for it at all - they don't want pay $12-13.50 a day per person for 2 -4 people to but still have no problem paying a $20-60 a day per person drinking packages or $140 per person for 7 days specialty dining packages, etc. Never gets old...