Mini Bar Temperature Cold Enough for Food?

jasm8449

Here's a trick I used to get a little lower temps in the fridge:

- open the wooden door above if present (most ships have the safe there) to get the warm air out

- ask for ice, use the plastic bag (closed, otherwise you'll have a water problem :)) to put it in your fridge, after an hour or so the temperature will be lower. Replace when needed and don't open the fridge too often or the cold air will float out quickly

Don't know why they don't stock decent fridges.

Really? You can't come up with a reason why?

First of all, they're not meant to be fridges for storage, they're meant to be honor bars. And such beverages really only need to be kept cool, not cold (as most alcoholic beverages including beer and many spirits are best appreciated cool and not freezing cold). And if you so desire a colder drink, there is always ample ice available.

A cooling fridge is much MUCH lighter than a conventional refirgerator, and uses far less power. Multiply that times the number of cabins...

I get wishing there was a real fridge on board, but not being able to fathom why EVERY cruise line is doing this... well, that's just trying hard to NOT understand the way the world works...

I must be lucky as I always keep milk, oj for mimosas, butter, cheese, whatever in our mini fridg and have never had an issue. I remove their items and replace them with ours. We always have breakfast in room last day of cruise and I get milk, etc. day or so before and keep it in fridg. Have been doing this for years on Celebrity.

Cle - It is just perfect for a good red wine!

Yep, and this is exactly why these coolers (not refrigerators) are designed as such. They are Mini-bars, meant to keep beverages cool, not food cold.

Cool, not cold. :D

Edited by cle-guy

What steps can one take to keep medication "cool"?

My wife needs to take an injection once a week (on Wednesdays) and the vial of stuff needs to be refrigerated.

Ask cabin steward, or guest services. They can store meds for you, or make necessary arrangements.

Alternately, get a zip-top bag, and keep in ice bucket.

I actually always request 2 champagne buckets. I put 1 inside the other, it creates some "insulation" with the air pocket and keeps ice about 6 hours longer. Also being larger than normal ice bucket can ice d0en 3-4 beverages t a time.

The problem with these refrigerators is that they are kept in an enclosed space, which heats up from the workings of the refrigerator. These are designed to cool items only a certain number of degrees cooler than the outside air. If the outside air is already warm due to the enclosed space, you get cool, not cold.

I have one of these in my office and items in it are quite cold. Of course, my office is called the meat locker by my staff! :D

Is the mini bar in the staterooms cold enough to keep milk/dessert/cheese at a safe temperature?

It can be turned up. I took some small containers of skim milk from Ocean View to have the next day with dessert. I noticed that when I ordered milk from room service, it was very strange, I think its that UHP boxed milk. Anyway, I had it outside on the balcony( alaska cruise) because it was chilly. My room attendant put it in the fridge and the fridge was a lot colder than the day we boarded. The milk was cold too. Just ask.