Cruise prices are out of control!

djjoe

You are right about the prices. What I am surprised about its that the price on the Grandeur is sometimes higher than the Anthem! Really! What were they thinking!

Who are "they?" Royal has computer models that determine where pricing goes after a sailing opens based on cabins sold and # of days prior to sailing. I've often had issues with this computer model because it apparently fails to take into account unsold group space, but it is what it is.

I know it's not against the CC rules to discuss prices paid, but maybe it's a bit "unkosher"? At the expense of that, I will say that I was looking back at our 2007 Freedom 7-night Western Caribbean cruise and comparing it to our currently booked October Western Caribbean cruise on Navigator. Eight years ago, we paid just over $4,000 for that cruise on FotS - 2 adults in a GS, Now, for the NotS cruise, it's $6,300 for 3 adults in an OS. If we drop the 3rd adult, it would be $5,500. And as I recall, it was about 10% more to go from a GS to an OS, so we could have gotten the GS for 2 on NotS for about $5,000.

Yes, I know NotS is smaller than FotS, and Galveston might not be the most desired departure port, and we skip Labadee this time, but honestly, it's all pretty much the same to me, and for just a $1,000 price increase in 8 years? That's a bargain.

Cruising since 2004, living in NJ, most of our cruises were out of Bayonne or Baltimore. It seems the days of reasonable price cruises are gone. The Liberty has crazy prices, the Anthem is worse. The Grandeur in Baltimore is not that much better for an old small ship without a lot to offer. RCI stock is pushing $100 and everyone at corporate is very happy. As senior citizen cruisers we are not. Am I the only one that feels this way? Just thought I would throw it out there. I will probably get flamed for my opinion.

You are correct in your statement.

The great prices are there, but you have to look, and be willing to cruise in the "off season". We booked LOS in Dec 2016 during the last big sale, BOGOHO, 50% off 3rd--5th guests, and got the Royal Family Suite for $4400.00. A great price for 5 ppl we thought. :D:D

I would suggest booking next March when the next schedule is released. Works for us

Yep, this is the plan in our household right now. We book as early as possible and we currently have two cruises booked, both have been on the books for 18+ months. And both cruise are currently double the rate from the rate we initially booked.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Yep, this is the plan in our household right now. We book as early as possible and we currently have two cruises booked, both have been on the books for 18+ months. And both cruise are double the rate as of today's pricing.

Just curious, does it bother you that today's price is higher than what you booked. Or our you like me and don't care

I know it's not against the CC rules to discuss prices paid, but maybe it's a bit "unkosher"? At the expense of that, I will say that I was looking back at our 2007 Freedom 7-night Western Caribbean cruise and comparing it to our currently booked October Western Caribbean cruise on Navigator. Eight years ago, we paid just over $4,000 for that cruise on FotS - 2 adults in a GS, Now, for the NotS cruise, it's $6,300 for 3 adults in an OS. If we drop the 3rd adult, it would be $5,500. And as I recall, it was about 10% more to go from a GS to an OS, so we could have gotten the GS for 2 on NotS for about $5,000.

Yes, I know NotS is smaller than FotS, and Galveston might not be the most desired departure port, and we skip Labadee this time, but honestly, it's all pretty much the same to me, and for just a $1,000 price increase in 8 years? That's a bargain.

You aren't comparing apples with apples. Cruising has changed in the last eight years, not for the better. Cruise price is just a portion of your total cost, compare tours, specialty restaurants, shop pricing, gratuities,and especially drinks. Eight years ago you paid $4,000, this time you paid $1,000 more. That's 25% divided by eight years is a little over 3%. The cost of living didn't go up that much. Bottom line, you paid more, for a less desirable ship, leaving from a less desirable port, and onboard cost could be up quite a bit, depending on how much you spend, it's a bargin if you say so.

Just curious, does it bother you that today's price is higher than what you booked. Or our you like me and don't care

It doesn't bother me. Of course it'd bother me if I was looking to book the same cruise/cabin today. I did notice this... yesterday, RCCL sent me an email with BogoHo-Ho-Ho sale for a holiday sailing for 2015 & 2016. This bothered me. If I booked a 2016 Holiday (16 months out) sailing on the Liberty out of Galveston, the rate would be $1400 more than it was just a month ago. So... I just don't book. Cruise fares are very, very subjective to one's budget and expectations. Some would be happy with the above priced cruise, not so for us. So we move along and wait until we find a cruise and cabin that we're comfortable with.

I own RCL shares and go on their ships. I wonder if the people who complain about RCL profits, aren't the ones who own fixed investments like bonds, etc. and are receiving negligible rates of return? If you don't invest properly, or prefer "safe" investments that are actually poor ones, is that RCL's fault?

I own RCL shares and go on their ships. I wonder if the people who complain about RCL profits, aren't the ones who own fixed investments like bonds, etc. and are receiving negligible rates of return? If you don't invest properly, or prefer "safe" investments that are actually poor ones, is that RCL's fault?

Really, our rci bonds pay 7&7 1/4 %. We can combine with anything and use it at anytime or for anything, and we don't have to fill out paperwork to do it. We look forward to them having more offerings as they increase the fleet, why would we want the stock:rolleyes:

Also bond interest is taxed at your normal rate(like cd interest), much cheaper than stock dividends or capital gains rates

Edited by setsail

Really, our rci bonds pay 7&7 1/4 %. We can combine with anything and use it at anytime or for anything, and we don't have to fill out paperwork to do it. We look forward to them having more offerings as they increase the fleet, why would we want the stock:rolleyes:

Also bond interest is taxed at your normal rate(like cd interest), much cheaper than stock dividends or capital gains rates

Equities average better than bonds. The 7-7.25% rate you are getting is dwarfed by the 325% increase in the price of the stock over the last 4 years(not to mention dividends - RCL increased it's dividend by 25% just this quarter - something you'll never get in a bond!). If you are satisfied by peanuts - hey, it's your call - but consider this: when you get a bond, you get only a very small portion of a profitable company. When you own the stock you get it all!

Warren Buffet didn't get rich owning bonds. Quote from WB:

"Berkshire’s goal will be to increase its ownership of first-class businesses. Our first choice will be to own them in their entirety — but we will also be owners by way of holding sizable amounts of marketable stocks. I believe that over any extended period of time this category of investing will prove to be the runaway winner among the three we’ve examined. More important, it will be by far the safest."

http://fortune.com/2012/02/09/warren-buffett-why-stocks-beat-gold-and-bonds/

Warren is right! Owning bonds is like eating a wrapper the steak came in as opposed to eating the steak. :rolleyes:

Equities average better than bonds. The 7-7.25% rate you are getting is dwarfed by the 325% increase in the price of the stock over the last 4 years(not to mention dividends - RCL increased it's dividend by 25% just this quarter - something you'll never get in a bond!). If you are satisfied by peanuts - hey, it's your call - but consider this: when you get a bond, you get only a very small portion of a profitable company. When you own the stock you get it all!

Warren Buffet didn't get rich owning bonds. Quote from WB:

"Berkshire’s goal will be to increase its ownership of first-class businesses. Our first choice will be to own them in their entirety — but we will also be owners by way of holding sizable amounts of marketable stocks. I believe that over any extended period of time this category of investing will prove to be the runaway winner among the three we’ve examined. More important, it will be by far the safest."

http://fortune.com/2012/02/09/warren-buffett-why-stocks-beat-gold-and-bonds/

Warren is right! Owning bonds is like eating a wrapper the steak came in as opposed to eating the steak. :rolleyes:

I am just :):) .................all the way to the bank

RCI div yield 1.62%

I don't have to sell anything to get my interest and pay cap gains

Of course if you made 325% you have sold it all and now make 0 and if you did not sell you are making 1.62%

Edited by setsail

It seems to take a lot of work to find a deal.9ce16.jpg[/i think you are right about Royal. We switched to Celebrity a couple of years ago and got cheaper cruises. Got a12 day from Rome to Venice last year for 900 each and on board credit with 10 ports on Silhouette. Like the entertainment better on Royal but Celebrity ships are first rate and cabins are nicer. Just my opinion. Though we loved the Jewel.

John, I've got two cruises booked on RCI and both would cost me at least twice what I booked them for. That bothers me. Oh, don't get me wrong. Part of me says look at the bargain you got. But the other part of me hopes I won't have to pay those higher prices when I book my next set of cruises.

We book suites and it's been my experience that waiting for a price drop on a suite is a fools game. Might happen but about as likely as a complimentary upgrade from an oceanview GTY to an owners suite. We book as soon as they come out.

Looking forward to the release of the Fall 2017 schedules. Maybe if we book at release, we will be able to get a good deal on Oasis out of PCO. If not, always wanted to try Holland.

John, I've got two cruises booked on RCI and both would cost me at least twice what I booked them for. That bothers me. Oh, don't get me wrong. Part of me says look at the bargain you got. But the other part of me hopes I won't have to pay those higher prices when I book my next set of cruises.

We book suites and it's been my experience that waiting for a price drop on a suite is a fools game. Might happen but about as likely as a complimentary upgrade from an oceanview GTY to an owners suite. We book as soon as they come out.

Looking forward to the release of the Fall 2017 schedules. Maybe if we book at release, we will be able to get a good deal on Oasis out of PCO. If not, always wanted to try Holland.

Rocketman, I was in a similar situation. I had booked three or four cruises about 16 months ago when the first BOGOHO happened and the savings were really good (at least for a few days). The prices of those cruises eventually rose between 50% and 80%, so I was thinking anything new would be expensive. Still, this past June I was able to book Harmony for February 2017 for a great price, though that has also jumped by about $1500 at last check.

Best of luck in finding a good deal!

It seems the days of reasonable price cruises are gone. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Cruise prices are not out of control. If you so your homework you can find a deal.

I tend to agree with the latter statement...here's why. :o

(All prices are/were base fare, taxes and tips extra, from a well known online travel site)

Last fall I did a 23 night cruise on Celebrity Century from San Francisco to Sydney for $799pp with $250 OBC. :D

This fall I am doing a 15 night cruise on Celebrity Constellation for $799pp with $525 OBC. :)

Next spring I am doing a 35 night cruise on Explorer OTS for $1670pp with $550 OBC. :eek:

You can book a 14 night cruise on either Brilliance OTS or Vision OTS in April for only $630pp with $300 OBC. ;)

Edited by teecee60

Well just my take, but there are fantastic deals still out there - you just have to look and it really isn't very difficult.

But, if you are only willing to cruise on one line, have a particular itinerary that is the only one you will consider, and aren't flexible with dates, the yes, I guess you are locked into higher prices.

Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean June 2014. Three people in a D1. $3896 (incl. taxes, not gratuities). That was booked in January 2014.

Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean July 2016. Three people in a D1. $4096 (incl. taxes, not gratuities). This was booked in March of 2015.

$165pp more in two years doesn't really seem like much of an increase.

Rocketman, I was in a similar situation. I had booked three or four cruises about 16 months ago when the first BOGOHO happened and the savings were really good (at least for a few days). The prices of those cruises eventually rose between 50% and 80%, so I was thinking anything new would be expensive. Still, this past June I was able to book Harmony for February 2017 for a great price, though that has also jumped by about $1500 at last check.

Best of luck in finding a good deal!

I appreciate your sharing that. There's no way I would pay current prices when there are so many other options. I haven't seen any thing like the price increases on RCI on the other lines. Fortunately, we're retired so we have considerable flexibility in dates. We would like a cruise on Oasis out of PCO because that saves us a couple of hours of drive time. We'll see when the new schedules come out.

I assume you don't pay attention come tax time because unless you are earning around the poverty rate (I assume most folks who can afford to cruise and hang out here are not earning poverty rate), you would have seen that taxes on long term capital gains (15%) will always be the less than taxes on interest or dividends (20% and up). Really rich folks got that way on long term capital gains, not interest, or dividends, or a salary.

Biker, who likes to raise the BS flag once in a while.

I am more concerned about the cost of air fare. Our first class, five hour trip from the midwest United States to San Juan for a cruise on Adventure is $3,400.00 USD. That is more than our week long cruise in a GS.

I don't know many people that's for, but last month you could get roundtrip first/business for ~$850 each. (departing end of nov. return 8 days later.) We could get there cheaper, but to get the same flight times I wanted coach was $700. For 5+ hours of flight time I thought it was worth it.

$3400 seems high, but I don't know your dates, preferred flight times, or home airport. Prices for my dates have gone up in the last week also, especially the first/business class tickets.

It takes longer but I'd suggest you search like this and compare.

- round trip first class

- round trip business class

Then compare that to these searches.

- one way TO first class

- one way TO business class

- one way FROM first class

- one way FROM business class

Sometimes it's cheaper to fly different airlines TO and FROM versus the same one roundtrip. Just be aware if there is a stop to check that both segments of your flight are what you want. You may be looking at a cheaper flight then realize that one segment is coach and the other is first.

I'm expecting the prices down where you booked come spring of 16. Never hurts to book early and book often.