Cruise prices are out of control!

djjoe

I tend to agree with the latter statement...here's why. :o

(All prices are/were base fare, taxes and tips extra, from a well known online travel site)

Last fall I did a 23 night cruise on Celebrity Century from San Francisco to Sydney for $799pp with $250 OBC. :D

This fall I am doing a 15 night cruise on Celebrity Constellation for $799pp with $525 OBC. :)

Next spring I am doing a 35 night cruise on Explorer OTS for $1670pp with $550 OBC. :eek:

You can book a 14 night cruise on either Brilliance OTS or Vision OTS in April for only $630pp with $300 OBC. ;)

That's incredible. Can you give us any more information on how you snagged these outstanding deals other than using a well-known online TA?

I'm expecting the prices down where you booked come spring of 16. Never hurts to book early and book often.

Oh, John, I love to book often. You are so lucky living where you do. We sometimes regret not moving to a retirement community when we retired. I've got cruises booked out through Spring 17.

I don't know many people that's for, but last month you could get roundtrip first/business for ~$850 each. (departing end of nov. return 8 days later.) We could get there cheaper, but to get the same flight times I wanted coach was $700. For 5+ hours of flight time I thought it was worth it.

$3400 seems high, but I don't know your dates, preferred flight times, or home airport. Prices for my dates have gone up in the last week also, especially the first/business class tickets.

It takes longer but I'd suggest you search like this and compare.

- round trip first class

- round trip business class

Then compare that to these searches.

- one way TO first class

- one way TO business class

- one way FROM first class

- one way FROM business class

Sometimes it's cheaper to fly different airlines TO and FROM versus the same one roundtrip. Just be aware if there is a stop to check that both segments of your flight are what you want. You may be looking at a cheaper flight then realize that one segment is coach and the other is first.

I think your MO is smart for the reasons you mention above. But you really can't have a discussion about First Class anymore because its meanings are so variable. For example, two weeks ago I looked at flights from JFK to SFO five days before departure date. And saw Business Class starting at $2550 and First Class at $749. But the Business Class was for an A319 seat with 58 inch pitch and lay flat bed while the First Class was for a 757 which had a 39 inch seat pitch (the First Class for the A319 had a 62 inch pitch and lie flat bed). So by itself, First Class is not enough information as it can mean a lot of different things.

My first cruise in 1999 was on Carnival. $3600/7 days/3 ppl in an interior stateroom. My last cruise on Oasis during Easter - 15 years later. $4000/7days/4 ppl in a Grand Suite. I think there are still good deals, you may just have to research a little more.

:eek: OMG! Seriously?? 4 ppl in a grand suite for $4000 total???

PLEASE do tell how you got this deal?? Thanks in advance:)

We are booked on the Voyager for Jan 2016 out of Sydney for 12 days, I booked it within the first couple days it came out (if not the first!), the cost was $3700 for a JS with our Diamond discount. The price now, less then 5 months later is over $4800!!! There would be no way possible I would pay that!! Why it jumped that much within a short time of coming out I have no clue!!! Just glad I booked it when I did!!

I am just :):) .................all the way to the bank

RCI div yield 1.62%

I don't have to sell anything to get my interest and pay cap gains

Of course if you made 325% you have sold it all and now make 0 and if you did not sell you are making 1.62%

First, dividends compound over time - bonds pay simple interest. Einstein stated that compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe - he was right. Second, in order to be worth buying company's bonds, a company must use it's capital to generate MORE return than the interest on its issued bonds, otherwise it goes broke. So you loan RCL money, they agree to pay you 7.25% (for example), but in order to pay that 7.25% they make more money on the money borrowed (in this case, a LOT more) by buying ships and operating the company. So for every dollar they pay a lender (in this case the aforementioned bond holder), they make 3,4,5 times as much (or MORE!).

The shareholder in a profitable company will ALWAYS make more than the bondholder, Q.E.D. The risk, of course, is in WHAT you buy. Given enough time, (as WB so eloquently puts it!), equities will out-earn bonds. If this wasn't true - no one would ever start a company, let alone own its shares. ;)

That's incredible. Can you give us any more information on how you snagged these outstanding deals other than using a well-known online TA?

Just do a web search for last minute cruise deals, 90 day ticker, discount cruises, etc.

One of the sites is a regular advertiser right here on Cruise Critic.

I spend 1-3 minutes on line, checking prices every other day, and KNOW in advance what will make me pull the trigger.

Quite often the best deals are after final payment...from 9 weeks, down to 4 weeks from departure.

I got a 15 night cruise on Celebrity Reflection for only $449pp with $250 shareholder credit two years ago. :eek: :D :cool:

THAT one was REALLY last minute... only10 days prior to sail away, but I STILL got DIRT CHEAP ($508pp) last minute (only eight days prior) plane tickets to Rome through Choice Air. ;)

I also got a 14 night round trip to Alaska on Princess for $799pp AND got $500 OBC as well. Flexibility in your schedule the key.

Booking directly with the cruise line looses you money, online sites offer lower prices with "group rates" AND offer more perks/OBC.

Edited by teecee60

Just have to be patient and watch for the deals.

On our May '16 Liberty cruise we got balcony cabins for $600 pp with $175 obc.

Our Nov '16 Liberty cruise we got a GS for $1250 pp with $150 obc, specialty dinning and spa treatment.

Cruising since 2004, living in NJ, most of our cruises were out of Bayonne or Baltimore. It seems the days of reasonable price cruises are gone. The Liberty has crazy prices, the Anthem is worse. The Grandeur in Baltimore is not that much better for an old small ship without a lot to offer. RCI stock is pushing $100 and everyone at corporate is very happy. As senior citizen cruisers we are not. Am I the only one that feels this way? Just thought I would throw it out there. I will probably get flamed for my opinion.

Cruise deals can be found everywhere and they are more prevalent than you think. Your 2 examples are certainly exceptions but for theses reasons. Any new ship out is going to command higher fares for obvious reasons. Such is the case for Anthem and will be for most any new ship. As for sailing out of Baltimore, regardless of the age of the ship, it is such a small port with so little competition that the cruise lines will command higher prices. Simple law of supply and demand. Look at prices of some of the older, more established ships sailing out of NYC and you will see that there are certainly some real good prices to be found. And search prices out of Miami and Ft Lauderdale, etc, where competition abounds , and you can run away with some terrific deals. Happy travels.

I agree with those who advocate booking early, especially for peak times. I expect to be booking summer 2017 and spring 2018 as soon as they come out. Looking forward to the Oasis out of PC.

Here is some actual data over the past three years -- same ship, same week of the year, same occupancy, same cabin type:

Freedom of the Seas - 8/10/2014 - JS - triple - $4054, with $340 OBC - booked 11 months prior

Freedom of the Seas - 8/9/2015 - JS - triple - $4187, with $310 OBC + a few other things - booked 12 months prior

Freedom of the Seas - 8/7/2016 - JS - triple - $4492, with $355 OBC - booked 16 months prior

From 2014 to 2016 , approximately a 5% annual rate of increase.

All three either did, or have, increased substantially since we booked.

mac_tlc

I don't think they are out of control but other than the bookings I made beginning of BOGOHO and 30/30 my good net rate for a balcony that was around $200 per day for 2 is now more like $250 per day for two after all taxes and discounts.

Still not bad for an ocean front room that includes all meals and happy hour drinks.

Just do a web search for last minute cruise deals, 90 day ticker, discount cruises, etc.

One of the sites is a regular advertiser right here on Cruise Critic.

If you're referring to Trip Advisor, there's a reason for that, they own and operate this site. Otherwise, anyone advertising here has paid to be here of course, but if you notice, there is a huge absence of travel agencies that anyone is allowed to mention on here. One site I see advertised on the sidebar is Viator, which is also owned by Trip Advisor.

Edited by BND

Just have to be patient and watch for the deals.

On our May '16 Liberty cruise we got balcony cabins for $600 pp with $175 obc.

Our Nov '16 Liberty cruise we got a GS for $1250 pp with $150 obc, specialty dinning and spa treatment.

WOW on those prices. THAT would make me switch from insides and PRs to a balcony in a NY minute. Never saw balcony cabins that low on any of my sailings.

I remember for a short while, maybe a year ago that Freedom PRs were going for $399 for a 7 night cruise in the Fall. I know, I know, hurricane season but that wouldn't stop me from booking if the timing was right.

Based on the posts on this thread, even as the rates fluctuate, cruising is still the best value compared to land based vacations.

If you're referring to Trip Advisor, there's a reason for that, they own and operate this site. Otherwise, anyone advertising here has paid to be here of course, but if you notice, there is a huge absence of travel agencies that anyone is allowed to mention on here. One site I see advertised on the sidebar is Viator, which is also owned by Trip Advisor.

Well, now isn't that interesting. How many times have we been told that CC won't allow mention of specific travel agencies to avoid distractions? Never understood that.

But, as was once said: "Follow the money".

Here's the NYT story on Trip Advisor and it's relationship to Cruise Critic and Expedia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/technology/04iht-trip.4.15899354.html?_r=2&

My experience is we pay less now than when we first cruised in 2003, because we learned a little about cruising. But recently we noticed the prices going up especially in NY, NJ and Baltimore. Supply and Demand. Lots of people are able to travel off peak season in those ports.

As I think they have reduced the waste on the ships to save corporate money. So we pay about the same or less, and get less 12 years later. Kind of makes sense. I will continue to cruise as long as I feel I can find a deal I'm willing to pay.

Really, our rci bonds pay 7&7 1/4 %. We can combine with anything and use it at anytime or for anything, and we don't have to fill out paperwork to do it. We look forward to them having more offerings as they increase the fleet, why would we want the stock:rolleyes:

Also bond interest is taxed at your normal rate(like cd interest), much cheaper than stock dividends or capital gains rates

What the heck are you talking about, please clarify. Unless you're are in a very low tax bracket, tax rates are more beneficial for capital gains/qualified dividends vs interest income, unless interest is derived form municipal bonds.

Also, please clarify "We can combine with anything and use it at anytime or for anything, and we don't have to fill out paperwork to do it."

This thread sounds a lot like one about climate change -- no matter what the overall reality, there are always plenty of exceptions to be found. The fact is that in the last year, the lowest price/best deal on the majority of RCI sailings has been realized by customers who bought more than a year in advance. So yes book early and definitely watch sailings after you book but also be aware that there are also non published rates that you will not see and will never be quoted by Royal Caribbean for customers who book direct.

Also, please clarify "We can combine with anything and use it at anytime or for anything, and we don't have to fill out paperwork to do it."

He's talking about the interest (cash) from his bonds. Cash is super great. It can be combined with all other offers and promos without paperwork.

If you love to cruise and find yourself with a smaller budget, the option to book a less expensive cabin might be the way to go. We booked a 7 day Thanksgiving cruise with a gty inside cabin on Reflection for $499 each. If the prices on the ocean view drop, we may consider upgrading. The fact that we found a holiday cruise, on a newer Celebrity ship, for this price point, still amazes me. There is a cruise for most every budget. Enjoy!!!!

I assume he is talking about reinvesting the dividends into buying more shares of the stock/mutual fund.Otherwise, the dividend is like simple interest.

I'm guessing he misspoke. I have a DRP for one stock and the rest I take in cash which isn't compounding.