Packing

beachbum314

Suitcases come out of the attic about 4 days before we leave for the airport hotel.

Same day I check my computer packing lists -- especially to update prescriptions as DH's doctors are constantly changing his meds. Once lists are updated I run them off.

Next day I count out all medications and make certain that I have at least 5 extra days worth -- just in case. And pack the carry-ons.

The following day suitcases are packed.

The last day suitcases go into car and after lunch we leave for the airport hotel.

When is too soon to start packing? We are less than 30 days till cruise time. Is it to soon to start I am ready.

Well, we start putting out stuff (designated spot in the dining room) that we're packing about that time. But, it doesn't actually get packed until about 2 days before.

Make a list.

We start packing about a week before. Toiletries, medications, documents, identification, some clothing in each of the carry-ons.

The rest of clothing and shoes, go into one 28" luggage. Then it gets weighed on scale so we don't exceed 50 lbs for our flight.

Don't forget your other things to do before you leave. - arrangements for pets, mail, plant watering, notifying family in case of emergency.

I organize all of my toiletries and start to put clothes that I know are coming that I won't need before cruise about 2 weeks before. I also make a checklist that I keep in one of the suitcases so I don't have to start from scratch each cruise and likely forget something. It's generally my goal to be packed 2 days before we leave.

Suggestion.

We have two lists in our cabin for every cruise:

1. A list of what we packed but didn't really need.

2. A blank sheet of paper where we list everything we wish we had packed but didn't. Listing these things when they come to mind during the cruise is far better than trying to remember those things back when you get home.

These lists come in handy when we're getting ready for the next cruise.

I have a packing list I make based on the cruise itinerary. I make a day-to-day list. If we are going on a Caribbean cruise, I'll look at the itinerary and pack differently than a Med cruise. I also pack according to how many days pre-cruise and post cruise. I list outfits I'll need for an excursion or a day at sea. I take that list and make a list showing X number of swimsuits and cover-ups, X formal outfits and put the actual pieces of clothing in the spare closet ready to pack. Then I put the undies and swimsuits in a suitcase in the spare closet. A couple of days before we leave, I get the carry-on suitcase ready and include the meds. Then I move on to the main suitcase with the rest of my things. I lay out the outfit I'll travel in and shoes, a lightweight jacket and my purse. I usually know that I'll be getting some of my things sent to the laundry if we have several days pre-cruise and/or post cruise so that I don't have to pack as much, plus I have favorite slacks, etc and I like to have them clean in case I repeat with them. In spite of all that, I usually still pack too much.

Make a packing list.. Make a packing list..

Once you have that - if this is your first cruise - you will not need half of the changes of clothing you are packing....

But in all seriousness about 1 week out is when most start packing with a real focus about 2 days before the leave home...

Make a packing list.. Make a packing list..

Once you have that - if this is your first cruise - you will not need half of the changes of clothing you are packing....

But in all seriousness about 1 week out is when most start packing with a real focus about 2 days before the leave home...

I never make a list.

I know I need X pairs of undies, Y shirts, and Z shirts, etc, I can work it from there. Toiletries ... tick ... and the Camera gear and I'm ready to rock.

But hey we are all different.

My DW couldn't pack my way and I couldn't pack hers, are either of us wrong ... nope.

When is too soon to start packing? We are less than 30 days till cruise time. Is it to soon to start I am ready.

Because we take mainly long cruises we have learned that it's never too early to pack.

Packing earlier gives you more time to think through what you need and if you have missed anything.

We also keep a list of what goes into each suitcase. Why? Because if for some reasons one of the bags is lost it will be very helpful not only to file a claim but to quickly know what we are missing.

Keith

Whether you work from a written list or mental list depends on how good your memory is. Here's something I learned the hard way. Before you start putting things in your suitcase, group related items together. Swim suit with flip-flops (or sandals), and sun block. Suit (or blazer and slacks) with dress shirt, tie and dress shoes. Chargers with electronic items that require them. Etc. etc. You get the idea. Ever since I forgot to pack a dress shirt with my suit, I have used this method of grouping things together. It also helps cut down on over-packing (at least for me). As to when to pack, the day before we leave is when we pack. I'm guessing people that pack a week or more ahead have lots of extra socks and underwear (or go commando before the cruise). :D

Edited by beachbum53

I'm another one that has a packing list on my computer that I modify depending on where we're going. We take longer cruises now that we're retired so a bit more advanced planning is required.

About 2 months out I start getting the OTC meds we want to take with us - 1 or 2 each time we go grocery shopping.

A month out I move most of the clothes into the "cruise closet" - hall closet by the front door. We try things on we haven't worn in while to make sure there hasn't been any shrinkage.

If we need anything we'll make a couple of shopping trips to the outlet malls.

I'll pack the carry-ons and backpacks a week before and the regular bags the day before we leave. Some things like computer, tablets, phone go in the backpacks the morning we leave.

There are some items that are solely for cruise use. Magnets for the walls, mesh laundry bags, extension cords and plug adapters, shorex bags, boonie hats, coffee mugs and the like. As soon as I come home from a cruise, they go straight into the "cruise box" for the next cruise.

Also endorse the idea of a checklist - preferably on your computer so you can save and revise from trip to trip. The truly winner idea is making lists of what you didn't use/need on your trip and of what you wish you had. Take those and adapt your checklist, so that it's a dynamic reflection of your real needs.

As soon as I come home from a cruise, they go straight into the "cruise box" for the next cruise.

I love the idea of the cruise box. I am totally going to do that once we get back from our first cruise in Feb.

I am a list person myself. I have started doing my research and looking into things that other cruisers have said that they bring on cruises and added some of those things to my list.

Well I packed yesterday for my October 10th cruise 😃 I have packed much earlier than that too. I love packing. I might even unpack everything and pack again. I've gone on 3 week holidays with just hand luggage or a big suitcase, which all depends how much moving about I will be doing & what luggage allowance my flights allow. But really all you need is a change of underwear for each day plus spare, 7 tops a couple of bottoms and something nice in the evening. If going to Caribbean a couple of swimsuits which I end up wearing all the time with a cover up and I still bring clothes home I haven't worn. I once went on a round the world with 60-70 lbs of luggage which I had to haul everywhere with me, this cured me of over packing once and for all. As long as you remember travel documents and credit cards your sorted really