Digital Workshop and Windows 10

Tante Amalie

Has HAL updated its digital workshop to teaching Windows 10? Or are they still teaching 8.1? Thank You.

I think they're in transition. On Veendam, the computers were still running 8, but were due to be upgraded "soon." They did have workshops introducing 10, but I didn't go to those, so I don't know how much detail they gave. The only workshop I went to was one about "choosing your next computer." I was hoping to learn what the latest new chips are, innovations to look for. Boy, was I wrong. It should have been "buying your FIRST computer," because the advice was so obvious, like "Do you travel? Then you don't want a desktop..." No duh, as my niece used to say. But at the end, he did say that if you buy a new computer, it should be running 10, and he highlighted a few differences.

Has HAL updated its digital workshop to teaching Windows 10? Or are they still teaching 8.1? Thank You.

The upgrading schedule is probably a ship-by-ship thing, so it's unlikely that you'll find a definitive answer here on CC. HAL Ship Services would IMO be a much better source for such info.

Edited by avian777

I have 2 computers that Windows 7 and a desk top that is Windows 8.1.

I was warned not to upgrade to Windows 10 until sometime in January as they are still working on a few bugs.

I've heard that warning from other people. I usually don't do upgrades unless there's a real need for me to have the new OS. One thing I do remember from our cruise is that the "Techspert" said it would be easy to upgrade to 10. He was encouraging it, telling people how to get the upgrade. But then, the workshops are "powered by Windows," so he would say that.

Which leads to a question. Does anyone know if the "techsperts" are HAL employees or Microsoft employees?

I've heard that warning from other people. I usually don't do upgrades unless there's a real need for me to have the new OS. One thing I do remember from our cruise is that the "Techspert" said it would be easy to upgrade to 10. He was encouraging it, telling people how to get the upgrade. But then, the workshops are "powered by Windows," so he would say that.

Which leads to a question. Does anyone know if the "techsperts" are HAL employees or Microsoft employees?

I believe that our techspert said he was a Microsoft employee. But he did have to do some HAL onboard training, because he also had "emergency procedure" training.

They are Microsoft employees. Had a long talk with one of the techspert on a past cruise & he told me a bit on how they are trained by Microsoft. At that time they were still running 8.1 I did get my lap top up dated to Windows 10 so I'll have it for our next cruise.

Allan

So how different is 10 from 8 or 8.1? (I'm a power user)

If it's a big change I just may book myself for a cruise. 8 had just come out when I went to SA and I appreciated the ability to drop in with questions I couldn't fully work out on my own (in the new OS and the latest version of Office)

So how different is 10 from 8 or 8.1? (I'm a power user)

If it's a big change I just may book myself for a cruise. 8 had just come out when I went to SA and I appreciated the ability to drop in with questions I couldn't fully work out on my own (in the new OS and the latest version of Office)

One of my favorite features of Windows 10 that can only be taught with PCs having a microphone input (not sure HAL PCs do) is a personal digital assistant, Cortana. Updating all of the HAL Digital Workshop PCs with microphones might not be planned.

Windows 10 is installed on our six computers (3-PCs and 3-laptops/tablets) since the first four hours that it was available on July 29th. The opportunity to provide questions through the Feedback feature has allowed MS to become aware of issues much faster. There are no more apps screens unless I want them, better speed, and Cortana.

Using a microphone/headset, ask Cortana and she will either speak or take you to the answer. It truly saves a lot of searching. I asked Cortana, "Who is your Daddy?" and received the spoken answer, "Technically speaking, it is Bill Gates." Using Cortana sure beats going down long directory trees to find a specific file and is much quicker than using the search command.

It is certain that the first two sea days on the Oosterdam will find me in the Digital Workshop.

Edited by Crew News

One of my favorite features of Windows 10 that can only be taught with PCs having a microphone input (not sure HAL PCs do) is a personal digital assistant, Cortana. Updating all of the HAL Digital Workshop PCs with microphones might not be planned.

Windows 10 is installed on our six computers (3-PCs and 3-laptops/tablets) since the first four hours that it was available on July 29th. The opportunity to provide questions through the Feedback feature has allowed MS to become aware of issues much faster. There are no more apps screens unless I want them, better speed, and Cortana.

Using a microphone/headset, ask Cortana and she will either speak or take you to the answer. It truly saves a lot of searching. I asked Cortana, "Who is your Daddy?" and received the spoken answer, "Technically speaking, it is Bill Gates." Using Cortana sure beats going down long directory trees to find a specific file and is much quicker than using the search command.

It is certain that the first two sea days on the Oosterdam will find me in the Digital Workshop.

Cortana and the change about the app screen were two changes the techspert mentioned at the end of the lecture I went to. He did say his own computer has 10, so he was able to do demos. Several times during his lecture he moved the hdmi cable from the HAL computer to his as he showed changes to look for while shopping for a new computer, but we didn't get to see a demo of Cortana.

I have 2 computers that Windows 7 and a desk top that is Windows 8.1.

I was warned not to upgrade to Windows 10 until sometime in January as they are still working on a few bugs.

My tech also told me to hold off installing Windows 10 until they work out the bugs..

I still have windows 7 on my desktop..

The biggest bug I have run into so far is the free upgrade pop up window that doesn't work. I'm going to wait...

While I was working, I was on the cutting edge of electronic technology. I said several times each day, "I love modern technology, I love modern technology, I love modern technology.....................................etc."

One of my colleagues on a tech board was on the pre-beta test panel for Win10. He says, and I concur, wait until January or thereabouts to upgrade.

Doc:D

All right, are we ever going to get some Mac or iPad classes?

At least can we have some classes on applications that cross both platforms such as Photoshop or Adobe Acrobat.

Scott & Karen

Seems unlikely, since the workshops are "powered by windows." There are photo workshops but they're windows-based. I heard the end of one and it sounded like a lot of file management.

It's all about Microsoft products.