Cruise Cards Demagnetizing

SteerageJack

Anyone else tired to schlepping to the Passenger Services desk to have their cruise card replaced because something has demagnetized it? It happened to me 12 times on the Royal's recent TA to Ft Lauderdale.

It is decidedly not helpful to be advised by passenger services that cards should be kept away from cameras, cellphones, tablets, etc. That was good advice in the days when Dad loaded the family into the Nash Rambler for a night at the drive-in, but is virtually impossible in the 21st century.

I was particularly amused when a Passenger Services employee told me on our recent cruise that there were 4000 passengers aboard and virtually none had cruise card problems...except me, evidently. Of course, another employee said that they replace hundreds of cards per day.

This technology was invented in the 1950s and has been used on plastic cards since the 1960s.

it is time for Princess to upgrade their awful cruise cards and stop blaming the passengers for Princess' failure to keep up with technology.

Edited by SteerageJack

So because one out of 4000 had a problem, Princess should upgrade the cards and the locks (which would also have to be changed) on 18 ships with over 72,000 cabins to be changed.

Sound right to me. I am sure it's on the list of things to do, Perhaps not at the top though. Be Patient.

So because one out of 4000 had a problem, Princess should upgrade the cards and the locks (which would also have to be changed) on 18 ships with over 72,000 cabins to be changed.

Sound right to me. I am sure it's on the list of things to do, Perhaps not at the top though. Be Patient.

I was on the Star two weeks ago and needed to get a new card 5 times,

Yes, had that happen on the Star. Every few days my card stopped working. At one time they gave me a replacement card and that didn't work.....so they had a guy do something to the door and the cards worked again. Funny thing was, when my original card worked the replacement card worked......when the original card didn't work, the replacement card didn't' work (and I had kept the replacement card in the room away from phones tablets, cameras etc). All the while, the spouse's card worked just fine, never a problem......go figure.

Yes, had that happen on the Star. Every few days my card stopped working. At one time they gave me a replacement card and that didn't work.....so they had a guy do something to the door and the cards worked again. Funny thing was, when my original card worked the replacement card worked......when the original card didn't work, the replacement card didn't' work (and I had kept the replacement card in the room away from phones tablets, cameras etc). All the while, the spouse's card worked just fine, never a problem......go figure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like a problem with the lock, not an issue of the card being demagnetized.

I have had a problem with demagnetizing my card. Figured out it was the tablet that I constantly carry. Still had an issue. I couldn't keep it away from the card unless I constantly paid attention to it. Not gonna happen.

I wear a lanyard and started putting the lanyard hanging down my back (under my shirt so I didn't look completely dorky). That worked.:D

It has happened to me as well. 3 times on the first day of one cruise and one other time. I have an Apple smart cover for my iPad mini and magnetic closures on my handbags. They were correct though, it only happened if I got the card to close to the iPad/cover or the magnets.

So, I bought a travel handbag with no magnets, and bought a cloth cover for the iPad when traveling. That and remembering to put my cruise card aside when I use the iPad has taken care of it.

Anyone else tired to schlepping to the Passenger Services desk to have their cruise card replaced because something has demagnetized it? It happened to me 12 times on the Royal's recent TA to Ft Lauderdale.

It is decidedly not helpful to be advised by passenger services that cards should be kept away from cameras, cellphones, tablets, etc. That was good advice in the days when Dad loaded the family into the Nash Rambler for a night at the drive-in, but is virtually impossible in the 21st century.

12 times??!! :eek: This is just me talking, but I think I would have stopped carrying it with my cell phone after, say, the first time it happened.

I was particularly amused when a Passenger Services employee told me on our recent cruise that there were 4000 passengers aboard and virtually none had cruise card problems...except me, evidently. Of course, another employee said that they replace hundreds of cards per day.

This technology was invented in the 1950s and has been used on plastic cards since the 1960s.

it is time for Princess to upgrade their awful cruise cards and stop blaming the passengers for Princess' failure to keep up with technology.

First mistake: going on a ship with 4,000 people.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

To understand the problem, you also need to know how cards work, especially what's known as multi-user sync. (I am using hotel doors for this example, but most systems are similar).

Importantly, the door locks are not connected to the keying system, they are self contained. When a key is initialized its set up with a code string and a set code. When you insert it in the door, the door lock is 'set' to that code string. The set code is then cleared or ignored depending on the locking system.

The reason this is important is when you have more than 1 key. If you get a replacement card, most times they re-key, which means that it gets a new set code and string. So you go into the room with that card. Now, your roomie comes along, their key still has a set code on it because you opened the door initially. So it resets to the old code. Now your card doesn't work again (different code, set code cleared). So you think its demagged, go down, get a new card, cycle repeats. To avoid this, if you have an issue, its best to get all keys recoded (most pax services folks seem to have no idea how the system works)

Alternately, its possible your card just had a bad stripe. Did they ever reprint it, or just recode it each time? After 3 times, should be a reprint.

I do wish Princess would move up to RFID keys at some point, but that is a considerable investment (remember they would have to upgrade all POS and security systems to do it right) and the individual cards cost 6x as much or more. There's not a lot of cost benefit to them to switch.

Yep , had the problem also, but thank goodness not 12 times . I really do try to keep it away from magnetic items , cases, both tablet and phone and purses as well. Think I will try the lanyard thingie see if that helps.

Also thanks Loonbeam : Explanation helps me understand the problem better.

Cori

To understand the problem, you also need to know how cards work, especially what's known as multi-user sync. (I am using hotel doors for this example, but most systems are similar).

Importantly, the door locks are not connected to the keying system, they are self contained. When a key is initialized its set up with a code string and a set code. When you insert it in the door, the door lock is 'set' to that code string. The set code is then cleared or ignored depending on the locking system.

The reason this is important is when you have more than 1 key. If you get a replacement card, most times they re-key, which means that it gets a new set code and string. So you go into the room with that card. Now, your roomie comes along, their key still has a set code on it because you opened the door initially. So it resets to the old code. Now your card doesn't work again (different code, set code cleared). So you think its demagged, go down, get a new card, cycle repeats. To avoid this, if you have an issue, its best to get all keys recoded (most pax services folks seem to have no idea how the system works)

Alternately, its possible your card just had a bad stripe. Did they ever reprint it, or just recode it each time? After 3 times, should be a reprint.

I do wish Princess would move up to RFID keys at some point, but that is a considerable investment (remember they would have to upgrade all POS and security systems to do it right) and the individual cards cost 6x as much or more. There's not a lot of cost benefit to them to switch.

Amazing post! Thank you! I think they re-keyed once or twice, then reprinted. And, then I figured out I was the problem, lol.

We had the same problem on the Regal. They kept saying it was our fault, but then they found that our steward's key didn't work either. One time when I returned with the replacement key that didn't work, they made a new replacement key and the Passenger Services person brought it up to the cabin (to prove to me, I think, that I was doing something wrong.) Her key didn't work either. Then they believed that it was something with the lock and not us. They ended up replacing the lock twice. It was Regal, cabin A233.

This also happend to my SO on our 2-week cruise in July no fewer than FIVE times. Even I was telling her, gee, maybe put the card elsewhere... But I toned down my being critical after (on the very last day) mine failed too. That said, I'd have to believe this "1 in 4,000" guess is somebody's wishful thinking (or maybe this was their first time working on a ship...) -- also, the person we interfaced with at the front desk said it happened all the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like a problem with the lock, not an issue of the card being demagnetized.

One would think.....but as I said, the spouse's card worked fine tho mine didn't. If it had been the lock wouldn't you think that the spouse's card would NOT have worked.

Here's hopping that there is no problems with the card on the up coming cruise. :)