Project Edge - Status

Wayneair

Why aren't cabin beds "murphy" beds? That would make a lot of sense, and make cabins seem huge.

tv-murphy-bed.jpg

There has to be some technical reason. Engineers get paid a lot of money to make better decisions than me. It's not ceiling height, though. I'm 6'7", and I fit in the room and the bed, so there's enough space to fold...

With the wood look floors shown in the models, it seems very austere, cold and maybe slippery.....ikea dorm or institution like...not plush and soft modern luxury!

it will be interesting to see what they do...lots of time ..but if they are ordering 3..they must be happy..and maybe will be phasing out some of the M clasd ships..just so much adding, chopping etc that can be done to fit their current/future concepts

Edited by hcat

• 2 months later...

it is an interesting layout of the rooms... looking at it... it appears that the 'challenge' to the architects were to do more with less... it looks like the rooms are going to be configured to fit two rooms per pillar space rather than the standard of 1 room per space... if you look at the model, the two outside walls near the balconies have the support pillars cutouts on them. now it also could be an slightly expanded or condensed pillar spacing as well. This would also explain the beds overlapping each other in the rooms. The bathroom concept is just a bit weird... and would be interesting to see where it goes.

as far as the Murphy Bed concept... that would be cool... but the extra weight of the mechanics of the beds would probably make is not preferred. as they try to shave weight as much as possible.

as far as the Murphy Bed concept... that would be cool... but the extra weight of the mechanics of the beds would probably make is not preferred. as they try to shave weight as much as possible.

Do people want to be pulling the bed out of the wall and making the bed up every time they fancy a snooze? Aren't most cruise ship cabins twin beds made in to doubles when required? You'd also lose a lot of valuable storage space from under the bed.

• 3 months later...
The NCL Epic bathrooms have been widely hailed as the worst cruiseship bathroom design ever!

We loved NCL's Epic bathroom design - For Europeans it doesn't seem a problem - Its mostly Americans that dislike it - and Epic is in Europe for the majority of the year. We had a Spa Mini Suite and it was fantastic - Loved it so much are booked to return.

NCL Epic staterooms are by far much more spacious and practical than a solstice class balcony - Celebrity have so little storage - that bed overhead cupboard did our heads in - and no drawers (well one teency one) under the vanity mirror -

I am surprised at Celebrity's "Ladies" who had their hand in the design - couldn't come up with better storage solutions.

Hopefully X learn from that and better storage in "Edge" class.

I am glad we don't have to take kilts and formalwear on our forthcoming cruise for our 14 nights on Equinox were a wardrobe nightmare - We were shocked at how bad the storage was ... It all looks very nice - but just is not practical.

Frankly I find I kind of disgusting having to wash you hands outside the bathroom in your own cabin right in the middle of the room where anyone in the hall can see when you open the door.

:rolleyes: NO ONE can see you wash your hands from the hallway - Good Grief! And actually - if anything - it is cleaner to have the wash basin inside the cabin after one is finished touching hard surfaces.

I've heard it all now...

Epic's layout allowed for me to shower whilst my husband shaved - it was great! There were many advantages to having the sink "indoors" so to speak. I absolutely loved that I could wash my hands in between making up my face again, whilst my husband was in the shower. Hubby tends to start showering when I am getting to "put my makeup on stage" - Ladies who are into make up will know what I mean - foundation on the hands etc - Fantastic concept and personally I loved it and would have it in every cabin if I could.

We just disembarked from Equinox on Monday. We asked quite a few officers, including the Captain, for any info on the new Edge ships. They are very hush, hush on this project. The Captain did say it would have the, "wow factor". Building starts this fall.

We'll all have to wait until we actually see results!

Celebrity, as they should, will try to maximize excitiment about their new build for as long as it appears to be working. The more people speculate, the better it is for Celebrity. Those involved in the project have signed a strong non disclosure document. I know that some staff have been informed about their roles in the project, especially the Operations side. I know that the Captains were asked some time ago for imput on Bridge design and that has been completed. I'm 99% certain that a Captain has been named, but will not be announced for some time.

Celebrity will reveal what they want to reveal when they want to reveal it. It's all part of the marketing plan.

Celebrity, as they should, will try to maximize excitiment about their new build for as long as it appears to be working. The more people speculate, the better it is for Celebrity. Those involved in the project have signed a strong non disclosure document. I know that some staff have been informed about their roles in the project, especially the Operations side. I know that the Captains were asked some time ago for imput on Bridge design and that has been completed. I'm 99% certain that a Captain has been named, but will not be announced for some time.

Celebrity will reveal what they want to reveal when they want to reveal it. It's all part of the marketing plan.

That's exactly what they have done in the past, look for the name of the ship to be released on the date of a change of seasons, that seems to be their practice.

:rolleyes: NO ONE can see you wash your hands from the hallway - Good Grief! And actually - if anything - it is cleaner to have the wash basin inside the cabin after one is finished touching hard surfaces.

I've heard it all now...

Epic's layout allowed for me to shower whilst my husband shaved - it was great! There were many advantages to having the sink "indoors" so to speak. I absolutely loved that I could wash my hands in between making up my face again, whilst my husband was in the shower. Hubby tends to start showering when I am getting to "put my makeup on stage" - Ladies who are into make up will know what I mean - foundation on the hands etc - Fantastic concept and personally I loved it and would have it in every cabin if I could.

Might work fine if both occupants are awake at exactly the same time. My wife and I have different sleep patterns. She is an early riser, I am a stay up late type. Having the sink in the room would introduce additional noise and light for the person trying to sleep. Even for those who have the same sleep patterns, having to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and then having to wash hands while someone is trying to sleep just a couple of feet away is not a good thing.

NOT a good design at all! It's no surprise that this kind of arrangement is not the norm.

Edited by sloopsailor

We just disembarked from Equinox on Monday. We asked quite a few officers, including the Captain, for any info on the new Edge ships. They are very hush, hush on this project. The Captain did say it would have the, "wow factor". Building starts this fall.

We'll all have to wait until we actually see results!

If building starts this Fall and the ship's inaugural sailing is scheduled for the Fall of 2018, then bookings will probably open sometime next year.

I remember the excitement shared by everyone here on CC as we all speculated about the Solstice while we watched her being built from the keel up! :)

That's exactly what they have done in the past, look for the name of the ship to be released on the date of a change of seasons, that seems to be their practice.

Perhaps the Autumnal Equinox or the Winter Solstice of this year?

• 1 month later...

Exciting times again about X introducing new designed cruise ships :D

Perhaps when the new Edge class ships arrive into service ,Celebrity will place a M class ship here on the California coast in the LA or San Diego areas ;)

Interestingly, the Activities Manager on RCCL's Brilliance mentioned that they at RCCL were getting some information about "their" new class of ships - Edge class. So is this possibly going to be a bridge between the two divisions??

this could have been what the AM was talking about.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-cruises-expands-oasis-and-edge-class-300275158.html

Huh? Edge class was announced with 4 orders right? Or am I mistaken?

"Although our first Edge-class vessel is still over two years away from delivery, there has been a tremendous amount of interest around the new standard of style Edge-class will introduce," said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. She actually meant to say; "the lack of news about a ship that is 2 years out is tremendous, which got our anxious awaiting guests almost to frustration." ;)

Not sure how X can pretend there's much fuzz and info around on Edge, all kept pretty secret which would be the only thing to be proud about LOL. :)

Huh? Edge class was announced with 4 orders right? Or am I mistaken?

"Although our first Edge-class vessel is still over two years away from delivery, there has been a tremendous amount of interest around the new standard of style Edge-class will introduce," said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. She actually meant to say; "the lack of news about a ship that is 2 years out is tremendous, which got our anxious awaiting guests almost to frustration." ;)

Not sure how X can pretend there's much fuzz and info around on Edge, all kept pretty secret which would be the only thing to be proud about LOL. :)

first announcement was 2 ships. 2 more were added a month or so ago.

• 7 months later...