Lanyards

Hows the Serenity

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance, as a new HAL cruiser.

Do HAL supply lanyards for the cruise cards (not sure what they are called that you use to book up to your cruise account on board), or do I need to bring our own.

If we need to bring our own, do we need the little plastic sleeve for them to fit into, or do they come with a whole punched in the card.

Inane question isnt it, but often I dont have pockets, so a lanyard is best for me.

Thank you

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi' date='

Do HAL supply lanyards for the cruise cards (not sure what they are called that you use to book up to your cruise account on board), or do I need to bring our own.

If we need to bring our own, do we need the little plastic sleeve for them to fit into, or do they come with a whole punched in the card.

Inane question isnt it, but often I dont have pockets, so a lanyard is best for me.

Thank you

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

HAL does not supply lanyards but they are available in the Shops once at sea. We bring our own.

You don't need the sleeve and can get a hole punched in your stateroom card at the Front Desk (I bring my own hole punch and pass it around to those waiting in the terminal with me).

Edited by Crew News

Hi' date='

Thank you

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

The shop sells some nice lanyards, and you can get a hole punched in your card at the front office (or concierge if you are lucky enough to be in a Neptune suite). I do like the little sleeve however, as I find my card often gets de-magnetized if close to my tablet or some other darned thing that de-magnetizes!

I may be the only one, but TWICE I've had my card fall out of the plastic sleeve, and both times another pax picked it up.

The first time was on a hike in Skagway DH and I did independently. I heard someone behind us say "whose **** (my name)?" They had found it in the dirt.

The second time was in Punta Arenas, chile. When I tried to revoard I couldn't find the card. Anywhere. The SO asked lots of questions, then cleared me to re-enter and go immediately to the front desk. As I walked through the metal detector, someone behind me loudly asked "is *** here?" Yep, they had found my card on the ground at the plaza de armas and brought it back.

I now get the card punched.:D

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I don't like using a lanyard, especially when I'm in Port.. IMO carrying a card around my neck makes me a target for thieves..

Instead I get a hole punched in my card & put it on a badge reel... I can attach it in my pocket or attach it inside a small purse which I carry in port or on the ship.. In my purse is only my card, Picture ID, some Cash, tissues plus a lipstick & comb...

I get my Badge reels from a WEB site called BooJee Beads.. Have also given them as Christmas or Birthday gifts..

http://www.boojeebeads.com/badge-reels/badge-reel-jewels/vintage-square-badge-reel.html

BTW they carry lanyards too..

Edited by serendipity1499

I don't like using a lanyard, especially when I'm in Port.. IMO carrying a card around my neck makes me a target for thieves..

Instead I get a hole punched in my card & put it on a badge reel... I can attach it in my pocket or attach it inside a small purse which I carry in port or on the ship.. In my purse is only my card, Picture ID, some Cash, tissues plus a lipstick & comb...

I get my Badge reels from a WEB site called BooJee Beads.. Have also given them as Christmas or Birthday gifts..

http://www.boojeebeads.com/badge-reels/badge-reel-jewels/vintage-square-badge-reel.html

I understand your concern.

I only want to use the lanyard on the ship, I dont want to carry a purse and I rarely have pockets in my pants (unless I am wearing jeans which is rare). Off the ship I use an over the shoulder bag that cannot be cut and is rfid protected.

Thank you

Chris

I may be the only one, but TWICE I've had my card fall out of the plastic sleeve, and both times another pax picked it up.

The first time was on a hike in Skagway DH and I did independently. I heard someone behind us say "whose **** (my name)?" They had found it in the dirt.

The second time was in Punta Arenas, chile. When I tried to revoard I couldn't find the card. Anywhere. The SO asked lots of questions, then cleared me to re-enter and go immediately to the front desk. As I walked through the metal detector, someone behind me loudly asked "is *** here?" Yep, they had found my card on the ground at the plaza de armas and brought it back.

I now get the card punched.:D

Great idea

Why in the world would you wear it in port? Mine goes into my bag when I get off the ship. I don't like the ones with the sleeve. I get my card punched. I've purchased my recent ones from the dollar store.

Why in the world would you wear it in port? Mine goes into my bag when I get off the ship. I don't like the ones with the sleeve. I get my card punched. I've purchased my recent ones from the dollar store.

I've seen many cruise Psgrs wearing them in port..And I don't enjoy wearing it around my neck.. I'm happy with my badge reels, which BTW you can get plain ones as Staples..

I love my lanyards. I wouldn't trust the plastic card holder for me. I always get a hole punched in the card. I do wear mine in port sometimes. It depends on the port. Another thing I've done is bring a large safety pin and I pin the card to my clothing .... like a belt loop on my pants. For me, pinning is handy at the beach. I've never lost a card that was pinned to me!

We all have different ideas about the cruise cards and how to carry them.

For me, as I said, I dont want to carry a purse on the ship, so a lanyard works perfectly - it means both my hands are free to carry food, drinks etc, carry books.................they work for me

As far as getting off the ship, I carry my over the shoulder bag with all I need on shore - my lanyard firmly tucked away inside.

We are seasoned travellers, but have only ever cruised all inclusive previously, so have never needed to carry these cards, just our room card, which I used as a bookmark to carry it, or my husband carried one for us both - on this cruise I have to be a little more circumspect, as these cards are like money.

So hands fancy free and a lanyard for me !!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your advice

Chris

I don't wear mine on the ship but do in ports. I tuck it inside the neck of my shirt so it neither shows nor gets blown around by the wind. I've never had an issue with my card even starting to come out of the sleeve on my HAL lanyard.

Roy

Thanks for the idea , I told my wife ...

We're not lanyard wearers on a cruise. For probably 30 of my 42 years in the government I had to wear a lanyard at work, and Mrs K still does at work, so the last thing we want to do is wear them on vacation. As it is, thanks to the "cashless society", we carry virtually nothing around the ship so stuffing our cards in a pocket is typically not an issue. In ports and off the ship we carry as little as possible so pockets or my wife's security purse works.

Neither of us use a lanyard as we do not like things hanging around our necks.

DH keeps his in his pocket, I keep mine either in my pocket or in a tiny purse on the ship.

Also when off the ship having the lanyard around your neck screams to people that you are a tourist.

This. During the last years "at the office," I had to wear an electronic card around my neck for security purposes, and it felt like a digital cowbell. Darned if I'm going to repeat that experience and brand myself a tourista besides. That's what pockets are for.

It's funny that people say they don't like wearing a lanyard because of years of wearing one for work. That is exactly why it was comfortable for me to start wearing one on a ship years ago. It's funny how people react to the same thing differently.

I agree! I have no trouble wearing one now, in fact it is just so much easier. And as for wearing one when you go ashore - really, how hard is it to slip it under your t-shirt or shirt? But, each to his own, and for those who do not like wearing one - fine. Just don't impose your opinion that it should not be done on others.

It's funny that people say they don't like wearing a lanyard because of years of wearing one for work. That is exactly why it was comfortable for me to start wearing one on a ship years ago. It's funny how people react to the same thing differently.

It is kind of ironic. Some people object to lanyards because they had to wear them for work. Some folks object to suits for the same reason. Do you think those people wore underwear to work every day? Are they "going commando" because they're on vacation or retired? What about people who had to dress business casual for work, but didn’t have to wear an ID badge on lanyard? Are they in jacket and tie with lanyards on vacation?

My wife and DSIL use a waterproof case on a lanyard for ID, cash, and credit cards. I use my pocket - except when swimming, when I use a waterproof case on a carabiner clip. They're Witz See It Safes. Highly recommended.

Edited by POA1