LOVE our Upsell Offer!

2pbears

We will be doing a 7 day California Coastal cruise in about 5 weeks. We booked an Obstructed Ocean View (OW) cabin during Princess' Mothers Day sale because it was a great price and included OBC. We have never sailed with anything less than a balcony but we decided that for the price paid we could live with this cabin. Well, a couple of weeks ago we started having second thoughts so I checked the Princess website and found that it would only be about $500 more to upgrade to a balcony. I called Princess, but learned that the price on their website was for new bookings only (I missed the fine print). To upgrade to a balcony would have been way more than we wanted to pay so we decided to live with the OW cabin and hope for an upsell offer. Yesterday we got the Upsell email and I called right away. Princess called back within 5 hours and moved us to a Premium Balcony on Caribe deck Mid Aft for an additional $99 per person. We are thrilled. Now we're really looking forward to this cruise! :D

Excited for you and us!!! :D We got the exact same upsell for our Coastal in two weeks. We booked 8 weeks ago. This was the first time we booked a guarantee. The price was too good to resist and a guarantee was the only option.

Cheers, Denise

Excited for you and us!!! :D We got the exact same upsell for our Coastal in two weeks. We booked 8 weeks ago. This was the first time we booked a guarantee. The price was too good to resist and a guarantee was the only option.

Cheers, Denise

Congrats to you too and enjoy your cruise!

We will be doing a 7 day California Coastal cruise in about 5 weeks. We booked an Obstructed Ocean View (OW) cabin during Princess' Mothers Day sale because it was a great price and included OBC. We have never sailed with anything less than a balcony but we decided that for the price paid we could live with this cabin. Well, a couple of weeks ago we started having second thoughts so I checked the Princess website and found that it would only be about $500 more to upgrade to a balcony. I called Princess, but learned that the price on their website was for new bookings only (I missed the fine print). To upgrade to a balcony would have been way more than we wanted to pay so we decided to live with the OW cabin and hope for an upsell offer. Yesterday we got the Upsell email and I called right away. Princess called back within 5 hours and moved us to a Premium Balcony on Caribe deck Mid Aft for an additional $99 per person. We are thrilled. Now we're really looking forward to this cruise! :D

We'll be neighbors - we were upsold to mid aft Caribe deck balcony as well :D

Makes me wonder....with so many of us getting upsells to Caribe balconies, is Princess pricing this category too high? There were many B2 balconies available on the 10-17 cruise.

Cheers, Denise

My guess is that it's kind of a chain reaction that starts with upsells from minis to suites a few weeks ago, then upsells from balconies to minis, and so on. Now it's the balconies that are available for dealing. Next week it'll be the OVs.

Jim

My guess is that it's kind of a chain reaction that starts with upsells from minis to suites a few weeks ago, then upsells from balconies to minis, and so on. Now it's the balconies that are available for dealing. Next week it'll be the OVs.

Jim

Hi Jim

Actually we were offered a balcony upsell for $99 first. Our TA called back and they were all taken. Two days later we were offered the Premium Balcony!! :eek: Figuring out the upsell/upgrade method is almost impossible.

Cheers, Denise

We got an offer to upgrade to balcony for $129 on Thursday 9/24 for our Oct 31 sailing. Our travel agent left the first voice mail to the person at the Inventory Department per instruction on Friday 09/25 and several more voicemails this week. Their agent did not bother to call back until Wednesday 9/30 with a cabin offer and let be known if we did not decide AT THAT MOMENT they got 33 more calls to deal with after ours. We ended did not take it because the bad location.

This upcoming cruise will be our 15 with Princess and are their fan (?). If their customer service is SO POOR to handling the UPSALE promotion PRINCESS should not offer at all. Should we bother to take the bait in the future if we will stick out with Princess?.

A bad thing is at the sale ending date and this morning, the price is the same on their website as their UPSALE Promotion. IT IS A SCAM under my point of view.

Edited by ChattTenn

We got an offer to upgrade to balcony for $129 on Thursday 9/24 for our Oct 31 sailing. Our travel agent left the first voice mail to the person at the Inventory Department per instruction on Friday 09/25 and several more voicemails this week. Their agent did not bother to call back until Wednesday 9/30 with a cabin offer and let be known if we did not decide AT THAT MOMENT they got 33 more calls to deal with after ours. We ended did not take it because the bad location.

This upcoming cruise will be our 15 with Princess and are their fan (?). If their customer service is SO POOR to handling the UPSALE promotion PRINCESS should not offer at all. Should we bother to take the bait in the future if we will stick out with Princess?.

A bad thing is at the sale ending date and this morning, the price is the same on their website as their UPSALE Promotion. IT IS A SCAM under my point of view.

But remember, the price on the website is for new bookings only. So basically Princess is allowing you to upgrade at the "new bookings only" price even though you were previously booked.

As for the five day delay in getting a return call from Princess, I can't really explain that. We got a call back within five or six hours. I'm not sure if having a TA involved affects how these calls are handled. I wouldn't think so.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy your cruise.:)

The department is no doubt working with offers on a number of cruises and can't get back to everyone at the same time. They do promise to get back to you in the order that messages were left on their answering machine.

Also, I wonder if that department works on Sat and Sun. If not, they got back to you in three business days.

My agent left the 1st voicemail on Friday morning and per their message "they will call back in the order of received and it may be up to 24 HOURS" . It was clearly understood on our part as they might have a fleet wise promotion. My agent called back again on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday left more messages then late on Wednesday Princess agent bothered to return her call (this is the part that had bothered me). It was almost 5 days later . Princess does open on Saturday and Sunday per their website.

As said we are Princess fan with 14 of their sailings under our belt of +30 cruises all together because we like cruising and will not let this stuff to ruin this cruise or future cruising but this kind of promotion IS A BIG JOKE.

Edited by ChattTenn

For the record, while Princess reservations is open daily, the "upsell" department is open Monday-Friday per the email offer I received a few weeks ago. As info, I just now called the number in my email to listen to what the current recording says. It's for the week of September 28 and it states the person who handles the upsells would be out of the office on Monday, Sept 28, returning on Tuesday, September 29. So between the department being closed on Saturday and Sunday, it was also closed an additional day on Monday, Sept 28. So that can lend some explanation why Princess didn't return the call to your TA right away. (I'm not siding with Princess, just offering some explanations)

"This offer is ONLY available by calling (Mon-Fri) and expires September 18, 2015."

ChattTenn, did the upsell offer come directly to you from Princess? Or did they send it to your TA who in turn notified you of the offer?

Edited by BEAV

Your agent called back the day after the email offer. Lots of people possibly called before she did for the offer. When we got upsell, we didn't have an agent (booked direct).Email came in late evening. I didn't wait till next day to call, I called and left a message right away.

Next morning, 8:05am I got my call back. I guess it pays to call as soon as email comes in, I must have been first.I asked which balconies were available and got a choice. Also Princess message says please call only once(not multiple times).

Of course none of us know why Princess took so long to return your agents call.

Of course none of us know why Princess took so long to return your agents call.

See my edited post right above yours which offers some explanation why it took Princess several days to return the call.

I agree with you that time is of the essence in this situation. Our upsell offer came for a cheap, short 4 day cruise. Because of this we had booked directly with Princess instead of going through a TA like we normally do for longer voyages. This time the cruise was so cheap that a TA could have added little (or no) value such as OBC, etc. So in hindsight I was glad I had booked directly with Princess, because if I had gone through a TA, who knows how long it would have taken them to forward the offer to me? As it was I responded to the email within 20 minutes of receiving it (7:00am) and called right away. Princess called back about 3 hours later and we were fortunate to be able to upgrade to the Grand Suite, even though there were also offers for lower category suites. Had a 3rd party TA been involved, I'm certain the Grand Suite would have been taken by the time we would have responded.