Luggage locks

What do you do? Do you have locks on your luggage for your upcoming cruise? Zip ties? We don't get to cruise often, however in the past I know we purchased small locks that have now been misplaced. Wasn't sure if they are really necessary. I never keep my high priced jewels in my luggage! :D JK

Thanks for sharing if you lock it up or don't worry about it! :)

We always lock our checked luggage with TSA approved locks.

Same for me. But the TSA Master keys have been leaked and there are now patterns available to download and print on a 3D printer...

So the PrivaSeals seems to be an interesting addition to the TSA locks!

As mentioned above, we use a twist tie where the zippers come together, and then attached to another non movable loop somewhere on the luggage.

The last time I used a lock on a piece of luggage, apparently the lock got ripped off by a piece of airline equipment. The zipper was badly mangled and the pull was gone. I was lucky I didn't have to buy a new suitcase for the return trip home.

I use the privaseals, because it makes it just a little harder for them to open. So, hopefully the smuggler will move on.

We don't check anything that can't be replaced. Learned that lesson when Royal Caribbean lost our luggage in Seattle. We had DH's wedding suit and some handknit sweaters. Fortunately, they found it and it arrived at our front door about a week later.

Edited by knittinggirl

We use the TSA locks also. Yes if you have cutters you can cut them but with a boxcutter they could rip your bag also.; The point is it makes it a little more difficult to enter bag. Old type locks that come on most luggage has universal key. I probably have ten keys over the luggage purchases that fit most.

Some argue that if your luggage goes to the narty room they can open it inspect it and if nothing illegal will return for delivery. We never place anything that would be suspected in ours. It prevent someone just opening and looking inside and then they might or might not close it back. Maybe then all your clothes may start falling out. Bob TSA the way to go

Locks and Privaseals do little more than keep your zippers together while instilling a false sense of security with the majority of suitcases. There are dozens of videos on the Internet showing how easy it is to open a locked suitcase and close it again without leaving any indication that it has been opened. This was just the first that came up with my search:

[YOUTUBE]tbpKhHwwtiY[/YOUTUBE]

On my recent Oasis cruise we diligently locked up our suitcases with TSA locks as always. Got to the hotel and discovered that I had brought the wrong lock keys. What to do?

I was through the zipper faster than unlocking the lock. Now that I've done it, and know how fast and easy, I may never unlock the zippers.

Locks and zip ties might make you feel better, but it really only takes 2 seconds (really 2 seconds) to go through the zipper. And there is no way you would ever know someone did it

I get that if someone wants in my bags they can do it fairly simply even with a lock. However, if there are two bags sitting there and one has a lock while the other doesn't which bag will they go after?

We never put anything of value in the suitcases, we use our carryons for that, but still don't want anyone going through my bags!!

I use zip ties and I put a pair of fingernail clippers in an outside pouch to make sure I can cut the tie when I arrive at my destination. I do this not really to keep thieves out, but just to make sure the zipper doesn't come open during handling. Also, I can tell if TSA did inspect my bag. Although they are supposed to put a note in it, they don't always do that.

Zip ties but it's more for slowing down the opportunist than complete security...and of course, sometimes DW's bag needs a little extra help keeping the zipper closed. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always use zip ties for my luggage and bring nail clippers to open them. I also bring extra zip ties for the return trip. Once TSA entered my bag and left a note and they used a flourescent colored zip tie on it.