Announcement Today

Overtyme

So really none of us here on CC understand the point of this campaign because it isn't aimed at us.

It's aimed at the selfie-obsessed millennials who have an attention span of about 3 seconds unless it involves shaky cam and thumping music. But they are also now reaching the age where they have their own money to spend and are making their own vacation choices. So it kinda makes sense if that is the direction RC is taking.

Considering the number of complaints I read here on CC that RC and probably the other cruise lines as well seem very focused on getting new cruisers and aren't paying as much attention to the returning customer, I'm not surprised it has progressed to this. However, all can take heart... if this all goes according to RC's plan, the pool of "new" cruisers will start to drop to the point where getting "repeat" customers becomes more important.;)

I understand the concept they are going for, but the execution of that concept was a miss in my opinion.

It's one thing to show features on a cruise ship and say that this is not a cruise.

I think that's a valid point.

But it's the rest that's really not good- You are not a tourist... what are you then, when you visit foreign places?

This is not the Caribbean - Yes it is! and the ports are not unique to to Royal Caribbean (other than the private islands), and therefore, there is no Royal Caribbean Flavor of those ports. It's the same port experience that others will have regardless of what ship brings them to that port.

They should focus these ads on their fleet in my opinion, with all of it's features that make the journey unique, or that make the ship the destination.

I understand the concept they are going for, but the execution of that concept was a miss in my opinion.

It's one thing to show features on a cruise ship and say that this is not a cruise.

I think that's a valid point.

But it's the rest that's really not good- You are not a tourist... what are you then, when you visit foreign places?

This is not the Caribbean - Yes it is! and the ports are not unique to to Royal Caribbean (other than the private islands), and therefore, there is no Royal Caribbean Flavor of those ports. It's the same port experience that others will have regardless of what ship brings them to that port.

They should focus these ads on their fleet in my opinion, with all of it's features that make the journey unique, or that make the ship the destination.

I am in advertising also and I do have to agree with you.

They are trying to appeal to the huge travel segment that would never consider a cruise as an option and this might seem 'dumb' to someone who is a seasoned cruiser.

Cruise passengers traditionally are 'group' thinkers. They move with the masses.

They are wanting to reach the 'seeker' market that are looking for individual experiences and strivers that want to send 'snapshots' of their 'unique' experiences out via social media.

The, you are not a 'tourist' (group traveler), this is not a 'cruise' (resort experience with land features), this is not the 'Caribbean' (a beach is a beach)

This is 'Royal' Caribbean. (individual experiences and adventures), is just a positioning campaign

Well said.

Personally, I like the new approach. But then again, I am a lot younger that many of you. Young people have certain expectations of cruises (i.e. large amounts of elderly people, people stuffing their faces at the buffet, boring entertainment, etc.) That is probably were they got the "This is not a cruise" part from.

Additionally, these millennials aren't interested in large group, tourist trap-type travel. They want to explore and see off-the-beaten path places. At least the group that they are trying to market to want these experiences. That's where the "You are not a tourist" comes in.

Not exactly sure where the "this is not the caribbean" comes in, but my guess is that they were trying to go in the way of... the caribbean will be that much more "royal" with Royal Caribbean. Not sure if that makes sense, but in order to say "Experience the Royal Caribbean", they needed to say that its not just the caribbean. I seem to recall a vintage ad that I watched on youtube. I think the final line was "Don't just cruise the Caribbean, cruise the Royal Caribbean".

They are trying to appeal to the huge travel segment that would never consider a cruise as an option and this might seem 'dumb' to someone who is a seasoned cruiser.

Cruise passengers traditionally are 'group' thinkers. They move with the masses.

They are wanting to reach the 'seeker' market that are looking for individual experiences and strivers that want to send 'snapshots' of their 'unique' experiences out via social media.

The, you are not a 'tourist' (group traveler), this is not a 'cruise' (resort experience with land features), this is not the 'Caribbean' (a beach is a beach)

This is 'Royal' Caribbean. (individual experiences and adventures), is just a positioning campaign

Marketing 101 - use of the word "not" in an advertisement is the definition of a dumb campaign. A competent ad manager would avoid the use of that word like the plague.

The message effectively says "If you are not one of these demographics then you are not my customer". In a word - Dumb ;)

Edited by orville99

What a waste of time and $$...RCI needs to concentrate on making their website easier to use or go back to the last version...if they want to attract cruiser's..Spend the $$ to hire a new IT department that just might know what their doing and what the public wants when shopping online for a cruise.

What a bunch of @#!$%

We are tourists and we are on a cruise...

I'm in the marketing and advertising industry and I just don't get it...

Is there something more to this that I'm not getting here?

What is the message that they're trying to send?

The only thing that makes the adventure different is their ships vs. the competition, but the ports are the ports (right?).

Agreed. "This is not a cruise" and "You are not a tourist" may be slogans doomed to backfire -- especially among comparison shoppers who won't be on a cruise, nor tourists, on any RCCL ship at today's crazy prices.

And calling the region "The Royal Caribbean" as if they own it is a bit over the top. This baloney will become apparent as soon as they dump a ship full of newbies on some island alongside 3-4 other megaships, to fight the mobs at all the tourist traps.

Puleez!! :rolleyes:

I'm in my 40s and I totally dig the ads. They're definitely trying to entice a new generation but it's a great short ad. With a kid. Having fun. I'm not a parent, but I can see the advantage of the short twitter ad.

They had 3.5% of the American travel market in 2014. That's pretty amazing. For them to snag a bigger portion, they have to market to a bigger audience using avenues that appeal to them. I can dig this, but more cruisers means higher prices.

As for IT and the website, I've never had an issue. If you're saying you want them to make it easier for you to find the absolute best deal possible, why would they do that? They're sailing with 105% occupancy numbers, I don't think they have any financial incentive to change much.

Not saying they need to make it "easier" to find the absolute best deal...just easier to use ... PERIOD ... that's "my" point.

Great you've never had an issue with the RCI website...neither have I until this recent change....lot's of issue's with the new "improved" version that many of us are finding.

Royal Caribbean just signed with both a new creative lead agency and then decided on the media house of the same company for production.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/week-after-its-merger-mullen-lowe-wins-royal-caribbean-164766

http://www.adweek.com/news-gallery/advertising-branding/accounts-review-mediahub-builds-rep-giant-killer-165400

RCI had been with the same agency for eight years prior to the recent change.

The new agencies client portfolio is somewhat impressive and I would assume they have moved beyond Marketing 101.

http://www.mullenloweus.com/about/

Royal Caribbean just signed with both a new creative lead agency and then decided on the media house of the same company for production.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/week-after-its-merger-mullen-lowe-wins-royal-caribbean-164766

http://www.adweek.com/news-gallery/advertising-branding/accounts-review-mediahub-builds-rep-giant-killer-165400

RCI had been with the same agency for eight years prior to the recent change.

The new agencies client portfolio is somewhat impressive and I would assume they have moved beyond Marketing 101.

http://www.mullenloweus.com/about/

I am very impressed with their client list and the big guns that they beat out.

Well said.

Personally, I like the new approach. But then again, I am a lot younger that many of you. Young people have certain expectations of cruises (i.e. large amounts of elderly people, people stuffing their faces at the buffet, boring entertainment, etc.) That is probably were they got the "This is not a cruise" part from.

Additionally, these millennials aren't interested in large group, tourist trap-type travel. They want to explore and see off-the-beaten path places. At least the group that they are trying to market to want these experiences. That's where the "You are not a tourist" comes in.

Not exactly sure where the "this is not the caribbean" comes in, but my guess is that they were trying to go in the way of... the caribbean will be that much more "royal" with Royal Caribbean. Not sure if that makes sense, but in order to say "Experience the Royal Caribbean", they needed to say that its not just the caribbean. I seem to recall a vintage ad that I watched on youtube. I think the final line was "Don't just cruise the Caribbean, cruise the Royal Caribbean".

Thanks for sharing this! Honestly, if you are in the generation these ads are targeting than your opinion matters WAY more than those of us not in that generation! Although, I did like the ads. But I don't tend to over analyze what the wording means or anything. I just feel the commercial and if I like it, I like it. But again, I am not the younger generation they are targeting so I am just an added bonus.

What a bunch of @#!$%

We are tourists and we are on a cruise...

I'm in the marketing and advertising industry and I just don't get it...

Is there something more to this that I'm not getting here?

What is the message that they're trying to send?

The only thing that makes the adventure different is their ships vs. the competition, but the ports are the ports (right?).

That makes two of us ... I don't get it either.

And more puzzling ... somebody was paid a great deal of money to come up with it.

:)Interesting thing is that it is "....geared to tech savvy customers" and I wonder how RCL will employ its significant IT Capability to actually make this work?

Perhaps the first thing you may want to consider is to get your Web Apps to actually A. Work and B. Be useful-- in order to allow those very same 'Tech Savvy' people the ability to actually book something on Royal.

Anyway, I am pulling for ya Royal as I am hoping this massive expenditure may ultimately lead to an actual functioning website!!!

ROTFL!!! The truth shall set RCCL free! :)

First, why did they think this would be big news to us? Second, it was less than exciting. I think they used the IT department for their marketing (even though I know they didn't). Not impressed at all .:rolleyes:

Edited by BND

Here's their press release (via the @RoyalCaribbeanPR Twitter account):

http://m.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1200/royal-caribbean-international-invites-all-adventurers-to-come-seek/

It's all about the "Come Seek" campaign. Since this stuff is what I do for a living I'm not surprised in tactics utilized.

Edited by cj_one2000

This has been released:

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/royal-caribbean-come-seek-breaks-out-with-live-streaming-destination-focus.html

Obviously not from RCI directly. However, it is all about a new marketing strategy aimed at getting new cruise customers.

Perhaps they will release something else in conjunction, ie, new ship entertainment information, or perhaps this isn't the announcement but with the promo clips on Twitter and the slogans mentioned specifically, it seems this may be all it is!

Thanks for the link.