First RCCL Cruise: Terrible Disappointment

Oxman

So now this a nearly THREE year old thread, but I realized I never followed up.

This is primarily because the internet package we purchased stopped working two days out of Hong Kong, and after we got home we had to clean things up after a typhoon that passed through while we were away!

At the time of my original posting, we had been 7 cruises; all Carnival, and all but two out of Long Beach. Over the years, as my cruising experience has increased and (perhaps more importantly) familiarity with various personalities such as brand haters and brand cheerleaders has improved, I can see now how I was led down a primrose path as to expectations. Nevertheless, most of my original complaints were not a comparison of experience versus expectations. No, the issues we experienced were simply what happened to us.

We did address our concerns to the various department heads; the answer was pretty much what some folks in this thread alluded to: they were short-staffed.

At the time of the cruise, Voyager had been based in Hong Kong and sailing north to Korea and Japan; catering mainly to mainland China clientele. All of the signs on board were in Chinese; many with English translations written in smaller type below. During the cruise, many of these were being swapped out. However, while they were cruising out of Hong Kong, most of the crew was Chinese. When the ship sailed towards Singapore, much of the crew signed off. RCI was not able to replace them all in time; apparently, most of the rest of the replacement crew was joining the ship in Sidney. Due to skeleton  staffing, service all over the ship was quite slow.

The food in the main dining room was disappointing. Again, it might have been a provisioning issue. We didn't dine in any specialty restaurants, but I can say that we didn't get a decent steak the whole voyage. I would say a good 50% of the passengers were Australians, and they also commented on the sub-par beef. Unfortunately the Windjammer Cafe was not any better.

Looking back, I'm certain this was all a result of the ship being in a state of transition. I know the crew were not pleased with their ability to deliver service. Either way, I think it was probably poor planning on RCI's part in not ensuring a smoother changeover for the crew.

Since that sailing, we haven't had an opportunity to return to RCI; mainly because we had been on a mission to reach the next level in Carnival's loyalty program. However, as part of our 20th anniversary celebration in 2019, we have booked ourselves on Vision of the Seas when she repositions from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. Yes, another reposition cruise!

We're currently staying in Oklahoma City because I came out of retirement to work as a contract instructor at the FAA Academy. We've been cruising out of Galveston, and Liberty of the Seas is there. I'm thinking she's certainly on our list; as is the Disney Wonder. We don't have the "Make It To the Next Level" fever anymore, so we're branching out!

We change lines all the time, and don't pay too much attention to peoples' personal loyalties.  After all, that is how they see it.  You like Carnival, and have some familiarity and comfort there...great.  Here on RCI, the loyalty is to RCI.   Go to Princess, and the kudos for that line abound.  I am sorry for your experience, though.  I personally (just one person's opinion) do not think that Royal Caribbean is so much better than Carnival, nor that Carnival is either so much less or so much better than any other.  The cruise is, at the end of the day, dependent on what you make of it.  Hopefully you won't depend on others' opinions anymore.  Go where you love to go, and if you're happy with one line, so be it.  I'm happy with many, so that's that.  Haven't gotten to the end of this thread, but I hope the rest of your cruise was much better than the beginning.

Also glad to see you're back cruising.Just got off the Oasis and found the service and food to be great contrary to negative reports on this forum. We have cruised Celebrity or RCCL and have never had a bad cruise. In Jan. we made the mistake of cruising on the MSC Seaside. After reading the positive reviews we were very excited and couldn't wait for the cruise. Boy did we find out different. We couldn't wait to get off that ship and get on the Oasis. Was a beautiful ship  but food and service was horrible. I think the big difference was we knew what to expect on Cel. or RCCL but on the Seaside you got what they decided to give you,sometimes right but most of the times wrong! Sounds like you had a similar experience. Happy cruising.

4 hours ago, Oxman said:

However, as part of our 20th anniversary celebration in 2019, we have booked ourselves on Vision of the Seas when she repositions from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. Yes, another reposition cruise!

Transatlantic cruises seem to be much less problematic than Pacific repositioning cruises, from what I've seen here.  

I think that's probably a combination of frequency of transitions, plus language issues (or lack thereof), plus cultural issues (or lack thereof). 

RCI does a LOT of TA cruises every year, and staff going off and staff coming on are all able to speak English and are familiar with the way Americans and Europeans cruise.  Plain and simple, the Asian market is different from the Western / English-speaking market.  

Glad to hear you're going to give it another chance.  I've cruised Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, Princess, and Royal, and I've been happy with Royal for the past five years.  

You are not on a "regular" route.....I'm pretty sure that has something to do with your disappointment.  They do "change up" food and activities to match the Asian crowd.  Try one of the normal itineraries..I bet you'll have a much better time!

19 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Also glad to see you're back cruising.Just got off the Oasis and found the service and food to be great contrary to negative reports on this forum. We have cruised Celebrity or RCCL and have never had a bad cruise. In Jan. we made the mistake of cruising on the MSC Seaside. After reading the positive reviews we were very excited and couldn't wait for the cruise. Boy did we find out different. We couldn't wait to get off that ship and get on the Oasis. Was a beautiful ship  but food and service was horrible. I think the big difference was we knew what to expect on Cel. or RCCL but on the Seaside you got what they decided to give you,sometimes right but most of the times wrong! Sounds like you had a similar experience.

After 32 cruises on royal we cruised MSC Seaside this past July and had a wonderful time.  Loved it and booked 4 more cruises with msc.  We did do yacht club and love that product.  

Everyone will have a different experience.  

On 10/16/2015 at 11:05 AM, champagne123 said:

This may sound like an ignorant question, having never been on a TA...but with the ships being in different countries, is the food supply from those countries?

In other words, here in the US, most of the food is supplied by the vendor Sysco....American food. So, what I am getting at is, can the quality and types of food be very different than what we are used to?

If someone likes the food in the US, which is probably one of the worst places in the world when it comes to quality as it is all about quantity and processed items. Where else in the world do you go into a supermarket finding a full Isle of Milk and Milk products and if you are lucky a hand full of products are actually made of real cow milk...

To the OP(Oxman)...Thanks for the follow-up to the old thread.  I am sure when you try RCCL again (Vision) you will not be disappointed.  We have over 35  RCCL cruises  and although the cruise line is not perfect (what is?  LOL), all of our Rccl cruises have been enjoyable...some more than others, but NONE with the issues you mentioned about your Hong Kong/Singapore cruise.  Happy cruising !

4 hours ago, frank808 said:

After 32 cruises on royal we cruised MSC Seaside this past July and had a wonderful time.  Loved it and booked 4 more cruises with msc.  We did do yacht club and love that product.  

Everyone will have a different experience.  

I agree. you will have a different experience especially in yacht club. Can't see why you would need to spend extra just to get decent food and customer service. Have been on plenty of Cel. and RCCL cruises on a standard veranda room with no complaints. Did a Fantastica veranda on MSC Seaside and it was a nightmare. The only plus is it was a beautiful ship but failed miserably otherwise. From reading some of the reviews I am not alone in my opinion! Happy sailing!

On 10/17/2015 at 2:15 PM, tattedbarbz said:

Please don't do Holland America. I really like RCI and it doesn't take much to please me, I always make the most out of any holiday, even a caravan holiday. But when I went with Holland America I actually could not wait to get home.

I did Holland America in June, and booked my 2nd cruise with them.  I like RCCL's entertainment hands down, but excellent food, service, cabins, and irineraries are going to beat lukewarm bland food.

On 11/10/2018 at 3:02 PM, Oxman said:

So now this a nearly THREE year old thread, but I realized I never followed up.

We're currently staying in Oklahoma City because I came out of retirement to work as a contract instructor at the FAA Academy. We've been cruising out of Galveston, and Liberty of the Seas is there. I'm thinking she's certainly on our list; as is the Disney Wonder. We don't have the "Make It To the Next Level" fever anymore, so we're branching out!

It doesn't matter how old a thread is, that is why CC keeps them around.

Give Liberty a try. I sailed on her last week and was impressed. I spoke with several people that have sailed both RCCL and CCL (Vista I think) out of Galveston and most said it's pretty much a toss-up between the two.  Some gave CCL a slight edge in food (quality and variety) while others gave RCCL a slight edge in entertainment/activities and overall look/layout of the ship.

On 11/11/2018 at 11:55 AM, diesel1973 said:

I agree. you will have a different experience especially in yacht club. Can't see why you would need to spend extra just to get decent food and customer service. Have been on plenty of Cel. and RCCL cruises on a standard veranda room with no complaints. Did a Fantastica veranda on MSC Seaside and it was a nightmare. The only plus is it was a beautiful ship but failed miserably otherwise. From reading some of the reviews I am not alone in my opinion! Happy sailing!

Didn't feel like I spent any extra to get decent food and service.  Price for 2 weeks on MSC Seaside this past july, in yc deluxe room would have cost less than one week in a junior suite on oasis.  Compared to royal, seaside yc was a bargain.  I actually paid less than half of what it would have cost to sail on oasis in same size cabin for a week.  

On 10/17/2015 at 4:22 PM, mollyeilis said:

So...I wonder if they could ask their server if they could get some Filipino food? Like we've asked nicely if we could get Indian food, because often that is so much tastier than what's on the menu. We've been told on DCL and RCCL that the food is made by the Indian chefs for themselves, and if they have notice ahead of time they can make more and share it with us.

Since the OP has been living in the Philippines it might make them happier to have that food.

Last year, I sailed on the Freedom doing a Med cruise.  I was traveling with 13 in-laws.  I was the token caucasion and another family member was Thai.  The rest were Filipinos.  The maitre'd was Filipino.  One of my wife's uncles smooched him.  Every night besided the normal menu, they brought out a Filipino dish.   That was a lot of eating.

4 hours ago, frank808 said:

Didn't feel like I spent any extra to get decent food and service.  Price for 2 weeks on MSC Seaside this past july, in yc deluxe room would have cost less than one week in a junior suite on oasis.  Compared to royal, seaside yc was a bargain.  I actually paid less than half of what it would have cost to sail on oasis in same size cabin for a week.  

Evidently you didn't read my post. I have never booked a suite or plan on doing it in the future! I am content in a standard veranda room. A suite or YC room costs more than a veranda room. So as I stated before, why do I need to book a YC or suite to get decent service or food when I can get it on a different cruise line in a veranda room for less money? You can shake your MSC pom-poms all you like but I know better! Happy cruising.

I just got off the Symphony. First timer as well. Food was worst of the 11 prior cruises I’ve been on. Service in the MDR was atrocious. At times waiters would just show up to our table with drinks we didn’t order (not complaining, just baffling) bc they had no idea who ordered them. First night dinner took 2 hours +. Not the end of the world but when it’s 9pm and you sat at 7, haven’t gotten dinner yet and have young kids tired from the long day already, it’s a recipe for disaster. 

That said the ship was incredible and helped make up for the shortcomings. 

On 10/15/2015 at 11:20 PM, Oxman said:

I agree that setting expectations too high is a bad thing. However, I'm simply comparing our current experience with our past experience on Carnival. The service and food aboard are far below what we experienced in the past. Maybe that's what you get cruising is Asia. If that's the case, then we know what to expect in the future. And that makes the cost far too high for the value of the product.

I understand this completely and this will also be the template I judge Royal Caribbean by on my first cruise with them in 49 days. I have been on seven Carnival cruises and although there are things I dislike, overall Carnival has been a good brand to me. Everything is more expensive on RCCL, drink packages, pictures, internet, specialty foods, everything, so I expect a step up in all departments. Better food, service, organization and entertainment  If that is not the case, I will be disappointed. I am paying more, I expect to get a little more. 

On 11/11/2018 at 1:08 PM, LXA350 said:

If someone likes the food in the US, which is probably one of the worst places in the world when it comes to quality as it is all about quantity and processed items. Where else in the world do you go into a supermarket finding a full Isle of Milk and Milk products and if you are lucky a hand full of products are actually made of real cow milk...

There is some truly spectacular food in the US made from excellent, top quality ingredients. Yes, there is also lots of crap food, but it's not fair to put a blanket over all of American cuisine. I have had some truly amazing meals in the US and some truly awful meals in Portugal or Italy or Sweden, and vice versa.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2015 at 4:15 PM, tattedbarbz said:

Please don't do Holland America. I really like RCI and it doesn't take much to please me, I always make the most out of any holiday, even a caravan holiday. But when I went with Holland America I actually could not wait to get home.

Several people have told me Holland was their best experience. 

Our first RCCL cruise on the Mariner continues to be our least fav cruise. We had cruised Princess 4x prior plus DCL. But we won an Allure cruise on that cruise (Playing poker) & it has been our VERY fav cruise ever! 

I have reflected why. My thoughts are this:

1--We didn't like MX Riviera as well as Caribbean

2--The activities seemed thin compared to Princess. I initially blamed it on ship size. Having sailed even smaller ships, I now put blame on a the cruise director. On Princess we typically have 2 or 3 activities at any time that we want to do. On that ship we literally had dead time...time when we could find NOTHING to fill our time. If our children hadn't been with us, sitting & having a cocktail is fine, but that didn't fly with them

The Allure being such a large ship was constantly filled with activities, just as we had found on all our Princess cruises.

Don't blame a line on one bad cruise. ANY cruise, hotel, restaurant can have a bad moment, even week. Allure had a nearly absent cabin steward. (still fav cruise!). One cruise had an nearly absent asst waiter--making our main waiter's job overwhelming. But he handled it with such grace, he is still one of our favorites. I have had a food item I didn't care for, a room with issues, etc. I try very hard not to blame a service based business on one bad experience; I nearly always give them another try. (meh, there's a couple hotels in DT Vegas I don't need to stay at again...luckily no need to)