UDP & Happy Hour

figmentdj

Okay,

So we always purchase the Unlimited Drink Package. Between the drinks, juices, sodas, water, etc, we get our money's worth.

Heard a lot about the 2 for 1 Happy Hours (never been) and folks being able to leave with unopened beers.

You ask, why would you need a Happy Hour with the UDP?

1. The atmosphere may be fun, music, drawings, etc. Yes?

2. Would I with a UDP be able to get 2 for 1, drink a few there and take a couple unopened back to the cabin for convenience?

Thanks.

Okay,

So we always purchase the Unlimited Drink Package. Between the drinks, juices, sodas, water, etc, we get our money's worth.

Heard a lot about the 2 for 1 Happy Hours (never been) and folks being able to leave with unopened beers.

You ask, why would you need a Happy Hour with the UDP?

1. The atmosphere may be fun, music, drawings, etc. Yes?

2. Would I with a UDP be able to get 2 for 1, drink a few there and take a couple unopened back to the cabin for convenience?

Thanks.

Because the BYGO $1 is few and far between and only offered in a lounge or 2 at night at odd hours. Do you think they would endanger the all inclusive package by giving better deals on drinks?

I would never count on a happy hour BOGO.

Because the BYGO $1 is few and far between and only offered in a lounge or 2 at night at odd hours. Do you think they would endanger the all inclusive package by giving better deals on drinks?

I would never count on a happy hour BOGO.

Not hearing me.

Not looking for a "better deal" Basically can I use the UDP at one of "few and far between" happy hours? When I do can I take unopened beers back to the cabin as others have said they've done without the UDP?

My last Princess cruise I had the beverage package and I accidentally went to the bar where the 2 for 1 drinks were going on and it was a bit of a nightmare- super duper crowded and really loud. People were really getting their money's worth. I had to go to another bar to get a drink without having a wait.

I don't think they'll give you two drinks at once with only one card. I always had to present both cards to get two drinks.

Not hearing me.

Not looking for a "better deal" Basically can I use the UDP at one of "few and far between" happy hours? When I do can I take unopened beers back to the cabin as others have said they've done without the UDP?

I think the "left with an unopened bottle of beer" is the rare occurrence. Just happened, bartender was so busy, didn't care.

To count on going to the bar with the intent on taking two or three back to your room, is something I wouldn't count on.

And as someone just posted, getting a 2-for-1 while paying in cash is different than going to the same bar with your drink package. They are more likely not to give you two .

I think the "left with an unopened bottle of beer" is the rare occurrence. Just happened, bartender was so busy, didn't care.

To count on going to the bar with the intent on taking two or three back to your room, is something I wouldn't count on.

A

Not so. I did it and my wife did it and we saw a lot of others doing the same on our recent Panama Canal cruise. Order 2 beers and they bring two bottles but only open one of them. They don't force you to sit there with the second beer open and going flat while you drink the first one.

I have no clue how it works with the drink package.

Edited by Thrak

Not hearing me.

That's a big "No." Again, someone trying to eat his cake and get one to go... it's funny how, when given something, someone always wants more! With people like that, the BOGO will be yanked.

That's a big "No." Again, someone trying to eat his cake and get one to go... it's funny how, when given something, someone always wants more! With people like that, the BOGO will be yanked.

On three different ships this year (Island, Pacific, Caribbean), would buy 3 beers, get 3 more and take all 6 back to cabin unopened.

Edited by kb4683

I was on the Royal in March and participated in the BOGO "Happy Hour".

The "Happy Hour" times were somewhat inconvenient being at 3pm and 11pm ship time. 3pm was at Crooners and I don't remember which bar had the 11pm slot. Crooners was always busy and the 11pm time was not. I would order and pay for 1 or 2 beers and ask to only open one. The bartender always obliged and I would take the unopened beers back to the rooms mini-fridge for the next day at the pool or whatever.

The BOGO limit was you had to order the same drink. I couldn't get a beer for me and order an umbrella drink for the wife.

We usually hit the happy hour during the day -- not the evening one and they have always allowed us to take one unopened beer per purchased beer back to our room with us. It was always super crowded during the day time happy hour. I mean ... standing room only!!

One of our friends had the beverage package and she was only allowed to get ONE drink at a time...even in the Happy Hour bar.

At least your room is never too far from a bar.

When you have the AIBP there is no need to get into all of the BOGO mob!

Easy to just enjoy being a another bar. :D

Besides, as crowded as it gets with people only hoping to get a tiny bit of what you already have, within a time-frame of only one hour...please be kind, be considerate. Don't add to the throngs of people and over-worked waiters just to add to your already abundant selection and ship-wide service of alcohol. The rest of us will greatly appreciate it. ;)

Edited by iceleven

On Emerald last year my friend and I each bought 3 beers and got 3 free, they only opened one for each of us and we took the rest back to our room.

Again, the original question was can you get the 2 for 1 when you have the AIBP... the answer to that is no.

I think we all know that we can get a beer and bring a bottle back to the cabin. With the AIBP, you'll get one drink at a time.

You cannot get two for one with the All Inclusive Drink Package. However, if the goal of your wuestion is how to get an unopened beer to take back to your cabin to enjoy later -it's not a problem at all, at any bar, with the AIBP. Simply order your beer, ask the bartender to jot open it and take it to your cabin. Pass every bar you like on the way back to your cabin and collect a beer from each - no need to wait for the two one-hour BOGOHO deals to do so with the package - you can start as soon as a bar is open and pick up an unopened beer to take back to cabin. We do this with a couple of cans of soda at the beginning of the sailing, along with a few bottles of water to have on hand in the cabin withoit needing to run out. Absolutely no problem

You cannot get two for one with the package though -and there is no need, as you can get as many as you want, one at a time, all day long.

Enjoy your sailing.

You cannot get two for one with the All Inclusive Drink Package. However, if the goal of your wuestion is how to get an unopened beer to take back to your cabin to enjoy later -it's not a problem at all, at any bar, with the AIBP. Simply order your beer, ask the bartender to jot open it and take it to your cabin. Pass every bar you like on the way back to your cabin and collect a beer from each - no need to wait for the two one-hour BOGOHO deals to do so with the package - you can start as soon as a bar is open and pick up an unopened beer to take back to cabin. We do this with a couple of cans of soda at the beginning of the sailing, along with a few bottles of water to have on hand in the cabin withoit needing to run out. Absolutely no problem

You cannot get two for one with the package though -and there is no need, as you can get as many as you want, one at a time, all day long.

Enjoy your sailing.

I agree with reed, THAT'S the way to do what the OP wanted (take beer back to cabin)!

BTW, I do believe the BOGO (free) Happy Hours are a thing of the past. On my last two cruises it's been Buy One, get another for $1. IF, and I do mean IF, the bartenders would give an AIBP holder two drinks at once during Happy Hour, they might try to charge a buck for each second drink.

Again, do as reed suggested...

Enjoy your sailing.

This is what my friend did. You just have to tell the bartender you want a beer and please don't open it. He left a couple of beers in the fridge as he didn't drink all the ones that he brought back to the cabin. I like the champagne splits so I go to the happy hour and get two or four and take the rest back to the cabin for later in the evening or the next day. I can't drink enough to justify the beverage package so this works great for me.

Candi

Thanks for those with the helpful comments like reedprincess, A8tor, candigirl41, etc). That's what I was inquiring about.

And poo on those for the snarky replies (you know who you are). I was not looking to get "more". I was not looking to "cheat" the system. I was looking for convenience.

BTW, there was a time on CC when all questions were answered in a helpful manner or not answered at all. Now days, there seems to be more folks with attitudes or opinions (not answers or advice) that provide a not so helpful environment. Guess I'll just lurk and hope someone else asks a question that might be important to me. Sorry for the rant. I'm going to get me a beer now (or maybe two).

Hi Figmentdj,

I know how you feel. I am a lurker for that very reason.

"Now days, there seems to be more folks with attitudes or opinions (not answers or advice) that provide a not so helpful environment."

i don't need to be berated or belittled.... just looking for information.

Bob

The problem with the forums is that the prices and rules change all the time and some of the old topics should have been archived a long time ago. Everything depends on which ship you're cruising on and where you are sailing.

I can only say what my experience has been. In July I was on the Dawn Princess out of Fremantle in Australia. A month before, in June, friends of mine were on a previous cruise on the same ship where Happy Hour in the Wheelhouse bar at 3pm was buy one get one free. On my cruise just a month later it was buy one get one for a dollar. It can change that quickly. I'm a beer drinker so I would order a beer and get 2 bottles with one not open. Then I would order another unopened (one regular price and one for a dollar) and take 3 back to my fridge.

But if you drink spirits and wine it may be better to buy the All Inclusive package because you don't get the benefit of taking unopened bottles back to the fridge. At happy hour you have to buy the same drink, so if you order a Marguerita they come in these huge bowl glasses that take forever to drink (for me anyway). It was worth going to Happy Hour just to see the wide eyes of people when 2 of these massive drinks were set in front of them.

On my cruise the price of the ALL-INCLUSIVE BEVERAGE PACKAGE was AU$56.35 per day. In November I'm going on the Diamond out of Fremantle and cost of the AIBP is AU$64.90. I'm hoping the Diamond has Happy Hour.