Switching TA

skinexpert

We just came home from our first Oceania Cruise about a week ago. We loved it! This was our 2nd cruise ever. We used our the travel agent that booked our first cruise on Crystal. She was OK..not great. When we decided to book with Oceania we used her again, BIG mistake. While on Oceania we booked another cruise for next October and the person who booked our cruise on board used our current agent. I didn't have another TA at the time, but have since found one that I really like. Is it possible to switch my new cruise to her? I feel badly about this, but my current agent doesn't communicate very well and I feel like we were not really taken care of. If anyone can suggest what to do in this case I would really appreciate it. I'm not sure how this works as I've never really used a TA except for the first cruise we took 2 years ago, and now the current ones.

Thanks so much!

I believe you have to do it within 30 days of booking

I am not sure the logistics of how you do it

someone here will know ;)

Maybe call Oceania & ask to switch to the new agent & see what they say

I believe you have to do it within 30 days of booking

I am not sure the logistics of how you do it

someone here will know ;)

Maybe call Oceania & ask to switch to the new agent & see what they say

30 day window to switch.

Even though we really like our TA (who is in the O top ten group), we always keep our book-on-board cruises to ourselves and then have a perks chat with our TA once home, at which point we do the transfer.

30 day window to switch.

Even though we really like our TA (who is in the O top ten group), we always keep our book-on-board cruises to ourselves and then have a perks chat with our TA once home, at which point we do the transfer.

Actually I think you can switch after the 30 days, it's just that the new TA won't get any commission. Their main incentive to do this is future bookings. I might have this confused with another issue, but I think it's right.

Actually I think you can switch after the 30 days, it's just that the new TA won't get any commission. Their main incentive to do this is future bookings. I might have this confused with another issue, but I think it's right.

I believe that this is correct.

The experts will correct us, if needed :)

I believe you are correct but you will not get the perks that TA might be offering either

Why would they give up incentives with no commission;)

I have never booked onboard so do not know the in's & outs

I did this with a Princess cruise about a year ago. There were several requirements, including having an executive of the old travel agency submit permission in writing. They didn't make it an easy do, but did get it done. My old TA was having a serious health issue and was not at all responsive to the needs of the booking. Don't know Oceania's policy.

We will be within 30 days as we just booked it on board on Oct 12. I already am starting the process with the new agent so we'll see. As someone wrote earlier if I would have booked it without the current TA then we would be able to transfer to the new one without any problems. Lesson learned. New to cruising and the TA process so I've learned an invaluable lesson! :) This may be tricky. We have to find out Oceania's policy on this.

30 day window to switch.

Your holding all the aces... and have leverage to walk if you don't like the proposal... Its a sweetheart for an agent...no sales to work, everything in a nice little no work...just pick up the phone for your$$$ commission... from an established repeat customer... However, some agents just don't get it... and wont... Talked to one head on..".so what are you going to give me back for my business...in addition to a x% discount" We don't do that...... Click* of the receiver

You can cancel and rebook with the new ta. Usually you need to wait 30 days but O has made exceptions The new ta's perks might be greater than the on board booking credit you will forfeit. Do the math

It is all about commission. You can transfer or cancel/rebook anytime.

If within 30 days of the original booking -- the receiving agent gets the commission -- if after the 30 days then the receiving agent gets zero commission. Oceania started this policy in May 2012 when they instituted also their no advertising rebate policy.

If within 30 days of the original booking -- the receiving agent gets the commission -- if after the 30 days then the receiving agent gets zero commission. Oceania started this policy in May 2012 when they instituted also their no advertising rebate policy.

So... great for us. I think the new agent will be able to transfer the reservation to them. They will lose a small bit of the commission but my booking with all the amenities will remain intact. I think I will probably lose the OBC that I will receive but that is OK. I'm not sure if it was from my old TA or Oceania. Maybe the new agent will give me some! LOL. They didn't lose the entire commission just a small bit as I stated. Now I have to wait until the old TA tries to contact me. I'm a coward I won't respond!!! I feel badly, but when you have no communication I guess I shouldn't. Thanks for all your replies. Our first cruise on Oceania was amazing we had such a great time.

Yes I agree 30days, but even if you can't---do it know for next time. And talk about the perks you want from your TA and any OBC--next get it in writing, very important. We had a TA, very good until she didn't want to give what others we're giving. She lost are business and some of are friends-and we always go for the bigger suites.

Rick

30 day window to switch.

How would I find out who is the "O top ten group"?

How would I find out who is the "O top ten group"?

We found our guy by cross-referencing fellow O passenger recommendations at M&Gs onboard. To at least get "in the ballpark" of top producers, look for TAs who advertise their membership in Oceania's Connoisseurs' Club.

We just did this. It was actually very easy. The new agent informed O and we sent a notice to the former agent, once we did that it was done. We found that we were not getting all the "perks" we should have been getting. Much happier with our new agent!

We just did this. It was actually very easy. The new agent informed O and we sent a notice to the former agent, once we did that it was done. We found that we were not getting all the "perks" we should have been getting. Much happier with our new agent!

That's what happen to us!!!!!!!Once we realized we were not getting the full amount we should, we also made a change in TA's.

Rick

• 5 months later...

Hi - can I clarify that this is still the case? I thought I read somewhere that if I book direct and transfer my TA won't get anything so it's good to read about the 30 days. I'm assuming this applies to any booking whether brand new on the phone or on the ship?

My TA left for India yesterday and while I know she's reachable, I'd rather not bug her.

Hi - can I clarify that this is still the case? I thought I read somewhere that if I book direct and transfer my TA won't get anything so it's good to read about the 30 days. I'm assuming this applies to any booking whether brand new on the phone or on the ship?

My TA left for India yesterday and while I know she's reachable, I'd rather not bug her.

No problem you do have 30 days and you can fill out the transfer form and do it while she is away.

I need a crash course in using a TA. We've always booked cruises through our university's alumni association, which uses a TA based in Minneapolis. If individual rebates, of the kind many of you have mentioned, are involved, we haven't been sophisticated enough to ask for them.

Given that it's so easy to book a cruise online, I'm wondering why one would use a TA at all. Is it standard practice for them to rebate part of their comission to the cruiser? Are there any other advantages to using a TA? How can I locate a list of TAs who are heavy hitters with Oceania?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me! :)

I need a crash course in using a TA. We've always booked cruises through our university's alumni association, which uses a TA based in Minneapolis. If individual rebates, of the kind many of you have mentioned, are involved, we haven't been sophisticated enough to ask for them.

Given that it's so easy to book a cruise online, I'm wondering why one would use a TA at all. Is it standard practice for them to rebate part of their comission to the cruiser? Are there any other advantages to using a TA? How can I locate a list of TAs who are heavy hitters with Oceania?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me! :)

MY TA gives rebates on Oceania and other cruise lines as well.

We used an online TA once. We found that it was very hard to reach her when we had questions. Our assessment is that the online cruise TAs are better at booking land tours .... they don't have the experience to handle cruises and are not staffed for it.