Celebrity computer problems again?

AtleeH

I was able to get into our reservation. It came up with online check-in 70%. I know it was complete before. I tried to complete it but it say Unable to save information currently. It also says our email & our emergency email is invalid. Now it's saying 0% complete on the online check-in.

Can I turn up without an xpress pass?

I'm going to take a different tact on the IT department. I suspect the guys working in IT may be as frustrated as we are on the user side. I wonder if it's really a hardware / infrastructure problem that restricts them?

If the system worked ten years ago but investments haven't been made in updating the equipment over the years to keep up with new technology needs, speed and the ability to handle larger computing demand, then there's not much any IT worker can do but put a band-aid on the problem.

I would place the blame, in that case, squarely on Celebrities shoulders for not being forward thinking enough to handle the problem before it grew so huge that they can't fix it.

Just another perspective perhaps?

I'm going to take a different tact on the IT department. I suspect the guys working in IT may be as frustrated as we are on the user side. I wonder if it's really a hardware / infrastructure problem that restricts them?

If the system worked ten years ago but investments haven't been made in updating the equipment over the years to keep up with new technology needs, speed and the ability to handle larger computing demand, then there's not much any IT worker can do but put a band-aid on the problem.

I would place the blame, in that case, squarely on Celebrities shoulders for not being forward thinking enough to handle the problem before it grew so huge that they can't fix it.

Just another perspective perhaps?

Very GOOD and valid point(btw, dh and ds are both in IT).

Nope, feels like a database problem affecting specific accounts. Hardware problems would likely result in a more consistent experience with poor performance across the board. Some of us are totally unaffected.

I doubt they HAVE an IT department to speak of, and my suspicion is all this work was/is outsourced.

Edited by perditax

I was able to get into our reservation. It came up with online check-in 70%. I know it was complete before. I tried to complete it but it say Unable to save information currently. It also says our email & our emergency email is invalid. Now it's saying 0% complete on the online check-in.

We will be turning up at the port without Express Passes as we cannot access our reservation online to complete it . If others are in a similar position it will be an interesting embarkation .

Yes. The express pass is a piece of paper with a place for you to sign, thereby authorizing a draw against your credit card (or whatever other mechanism you have set up for payment of onboard charges). They want a piece of paper with an actual signature on it. If you don't have one with you, they will print out a new agreement for you to sign. So there may be a small additional delay.

The express pass also has information such as your reservation number, cabin number, and a scanable area which they can use to quickly find your information. Without the express pass, they should be able to find you by name. If you have your reservation number at hand that may help as well.

See you onboard in 24 days!

I spent 35 minutes on the phone to Celebrity earlier today with the same problem, the agent kept trying to complete my check in, tried several web browsers, got very frustrated (join the club!!) She couldn't understand why it wouldn't save any info, then said Oh your email address is wrong (no it isn't!!)

She gave up in the end and said "don't worry, you won't need your express pass to check in"!!!

Great service!! :confused:

Sue

I spent 35 minutes on the phone to Celebrity earlier today with the same problem, the agent kept trying to complete my check in, tried several web browsers, got very frustrated (join the club!!) She couldn't understand why it wouldn't save any info, then said Oh your email address is wrong (no it isn't!!)

She gave up in the end and said "don't worry, you won't need your express pass to check in"!!!

Great service!! :confused:

Sue

Hmm, so even the agents can't get into these locked accounts. Very interesting.

Especially since it has been reported that Celebrity is not even aware they have a problem :(. Go figure.

Hank:eek:

Yeah, this is why I've been repeating a couple of theories and one exclamation in these threads as they keep getting bumped:

1) I bet the customer support people aren't even in the same country as the web folks ...

2) If X even HAS a web department, and did not outsource the work ...

3) Hit them on social media: facebook and twitter. Don't bother taking it out on the customer support people, there is probably no way for them to get info 'up the chain' to the technical folks, if those even exist at X in any meaningful sense.

Especially since it has been reported that Celebrity is not even aware they have a problem :(. Go figure.

They definitely are aware, at least about the online check-in problems.

When I called, as soon as I started to mention the error message that appeared on my screen the agent immediately replied that they had a lot people reporting the same problem,

they are very aware of it and are working on it,

and to wait until tomorrow morning before trying again.

It was caused by some recent changes they made to the format that were not tested properly before going live with them.

(What a surprise! ;) )

I did notice that the appearance of the check-in screen is now different than the last time I checked in for a cruise, when it worked correctly.

Oh well - will just try again tomorrow, with fingers crossed.

No point wasting any more time on it today.

Edited by fleckle

I have to think the web site was largely built about 10-15 years ago and either it was built by consultants, or the people who built it are long gone and weren't really replaced by anything but the bare minimum to keep it semi-functional.

It's too bad because a really well done modern website could do a lot to both improve customer experience and actually sell cruises and extras.

I tried that option and sent an email - with no response yet.

I am going to phone the local representative TA that was on the international tab on the contact us link.

My tribulations continue.

Phoned the local agent, who said that they were receiving a lot of calls from clients who could not check in via the website.

When I told them that I had managed to check in and wanted to add a speciality restaurant reservation they advised that they could not do that and I must phone "head office" in the US.

Still no response from the email "black hole"

Booked & paid for a day trip for earlier in our holiday - in Guadalajara - simple and user friendly - a few clicks, a few minutes, and done.

• 1 month later...

IT has never responded to emails and customer service has sent my account to IT, also to no avail. Have been locked out for about three weeks! Now they tell me it's because of Special Services-I need wheelchair upon getting on and off ship in Seattle and husband requires extension cord due to Cpap machine. They tell me that's the hangup. Have tried logging in every which way. Working beautifully and then boom, no good. Waiting for a response from someone. I even called Captain's Club and was told the same thing.

IT has never responded to emails and customer service has sent my account to IT, also to no avail. Have been locked out for about three weeks! Now they tell me it's because of Special Services-I need wheelchair upon getting on and off ship in Seattle and husband requires extension cord due to Cpap machine. They tell me that's the hangup. Have tried logging in every which way. Working beautifully and then boom, no good. Waiting for a response from someone. I even called Captain's Club and was told the same thing.

I have neither of those issues and I have been locked out for weeks. I was told that there was issues with "My Celebrity" so to use the the "Already Booked? "section to order tours, dinners. etc. Well that does not work either. I too have written and have not gotten an answer. I have given up.

I have neither of those issues and I have been locked out for weeks. I was told that there was issues with "My Celebrity" so to use the the "Already Booked? "section to order tours, dinners. etc. Well that does not work either. I too have written and have not gotten an answer. I have given up.

I am disappointed in Celebrity! This is my first cruise with them and I'm not impressed.

Considering the thousands of bookings on Celebrity ships, the few complaints about the website or phone call issues that we see on CC are fairly small in my opinion. People use different computers, browsers, mobile devices, etc. this complicates things. When the online and phone issues cause X to lose money, then they will make it right. The ships almost always fill up. If someone has loyalty status on a cruise line, it will take a lot for them to switch and start accumulating points on a new Line.

Edited by bananawindnj

It was fixed for me for a while. Fortunately, the fix came during the time for me to do the pre cruise check in, and to print my Express Check-In form.

But it's down again for me. Those people are stupid.

Considering the thousands of bookings on Celebrity ships, the few complaints about the website or phone call issues that we see on CC are fairly small in my opinion. People use different computers, browsers, mobile devices, etc. this complicates things. When the online and phone issues cause X to lose money, then they will make it right. The ships almost always fill up. If someone has loyalty status on a cruise line, it will take a lot for them to switch and start accumulating points on a new Line.

The "number" of complaints you see here about the website are just an indicator of a more widespread problem... the people on CC are a minute part of the cruising world .... you don't really think the only people affected are people on CC, right?

Yes, the ships fill up but to discount the frustration of travelers by insinuating the problem isn't big enough to be concerned is not looking at the bigger picture at all. It's NOT a trivial problem......

I used to be somewhat cavalier about the website....but then I hadn't been bitten by the issue.....I now understand the frustration and am amazed at Celebrity's inability to fix this issue.....

Call Celebirty.

I actually had an exact similar problem. Until I called Captain's Club and told them about it, then after a short hold, they asked me to try again.

I never had this problem again with that particular reservation.

Not sure if I made a new booking, this will occur again until I call.. as I haven't had a new booking yet since then.

The "number" of complaints you see here about the website are just an indicator of a more widespread problem... the people on CC are a minute part of the cruising world .... you don't really think the only people affected are people on CC, right?

Yes, the ships fill up but to discount the frustration of travelers by insinuating the problem isn't big enough to be concerned is not looking at the bigger picture at all. It's NOT a trivial problem......

I used to be somewhat cavalier about the website....but then I hadn't been bitten by the issue.....I now understand the frustration and am amazed at Celebrity's inability to fix this issue.....

Well Gracie , you may be amazed , but as someone leaves Celebrity , they are replaced by a newbie. IMO practically no one will leave Celebrity because they have a terrible functioning website or phone service. It will give them something to complain about here on CC. Be realistic!