What's the Reasoning?

tuxjamie

We were on Carnival ship and had wonderful time. On the day of getting off the ship we kept hearing our names called over the loud speaker, over and over again. We went to the front desk and asked why and next thing we know we are following a purser off the ship passing the long lines and going down back alley ways on the ship. They put us in a room and searched through all of our luggage and frisked both of us. No reason to why they were doing this. No one to answer any of our questions. They didn't find anything and to this day still do not know why. When all done they wouldn't even let us take our luggage. Very rude and told us to leave and they would bring our luggage to the bus. Our stuff was just thrown back into our suitcases. Hoping anyone out there can give us a reason why they did this. The Cruise line would not tell us.

We were on Carnival ship and had wonderful time. On the day of getting off the ship we kept hearing our names called over the loud speaker, over and over again. We went to the front desk and asked why and next thing we know we are following a purser off the ship passing the long lines and going down back alley ways on the ship. They put us in a room and searched through all of our luggage and frisked both of us. No reason to why they were doing this. No one to answer any of our questions. They didn't find anything and to this day still do not know why. When all done they wouldn't even let us take our luggage. Very rude and told us to leave and they would bring our luggage to the bus. Our stuff was just thrown back into our suitcases. Hoping anyone out there can give us a reason why they did this. The Cruise line would not tell us.

Who did the searching, ship's security or customs?

Ships security doesn't have any more authority than any other law enforcement, who need to give a reason and justification for search. Sloppy -- and I would agree you need to file a formal complaint.

Actually Customs at a port of entry doesn't need a reason or permission (unlike other law enforcement agencies).

OP, the only thing that I can think of is that someone that looked like you or your traveling companion was seen on video stealing something and they were looking for it. Of course they didn't find it because it wasn't you in the tape.

Ships security doesn't have any more authority than any other law enforcement, who need to give a reason and justification for search. Sloppy -- and I would agree you need to file a formal complaint.

Actually, if you read your ticket contract, you give the cruise line the authority to search you and your belongings at any time, with or without your knowledge or consent.

"All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. "

"(b) All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Guest’s stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search or screen any Guest, and/or personal effects, at any location, to ensure compliance with any of the restrictions set forth in this agreement. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued."

It could have been either a crew report or surveillance noting illegal activity or contraband items. Since it happened on the last day, the ship could have been notified by CBP or other law enforcement agency that someone with the OP's name had issues with smuggling. It may be that a drug or explosive dog hit on their luggage. It could even be a "punking", where someone called in a report on them, either as a prank or as retribution for a perceived slight. Who knows.

I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming it all happened just that way. I'm also in agreement that, yes, the cruise security surely can search your things anytime they like. But, and I'm still giving the OP complete benefit of doubt, couldn't security have done their search in a more courteous manner? It doesn't sound like they behaved as well as they might have.

We do not believe that is true. When you go on a ship you agree to the terms and conditions of the passenger contract (nobody ever reads all this stuff) which gives them just about total control over your life while onboard. And this is further buttressed by International Maritime Law which gives a ship's Captain nearly total control of everything on board his/her vessel. The Captain delegates his authority to various officials including the head of security and the Staff Captain. Unlike on land, they do not need a search warrant of even reasonable cause to conduct a search.

If what the OP described happened to us we would certainly file a complaint (on the spot) and follow-up with a written complaint to the CEO of the cruise line. But we do not think they have any legal obligation to explain their action or even offer a response.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

OP -- when did this happen? Your only count-down clock is from five years ago (Glory 2011). You said that the cruise line (Carnival) would not tell you why they searched you. Did you contact their corporate offices, when you returned? :confused:

Wondering too if this was a recent cruise or the one back in 2011.

All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. "

Sounds like the perfect time to refuse the search and let 'em disembark you!

First question I have for you....why did you hesitate going to the front desk? Why didn't you go the first time you heard your name called? Second question...you said you were led off the ship and searched. It doesn't sound right to me that ship security would be the only ones involved if you were led off the ship first.

As for the search, the others already correctly explained Carnival's permissions. As for the reason, considering you were targeted and this wasn't random, something must have happened on board. You were either reported to security by another guest, or someone of authority on the ship saw you or your partner doing something unlawful. If you are correct that this was security, not Customs or local LE, my guess is you were accused of theft on board.

Edited by Aquahound

Sounds like the perfect time to refuse the search and let 'em disembark you!

I suspect (but certainly do not know for sure) such a refusal well could trigger an in-depth scrutiny by CBP In U.S. port or whichever authorities in a foreign port. Based on what OP wrote, it seems clear Carnival had full intention these guests and their luggage were to be fully inspected. CBP unquestionably has the authority to hold and inspect each of us and all things we are bringing ashore.

I also wonder why OP 'mentioned' it took multiple calls for them to report to the Front Office. Presumably they heard their names being called so one has to wonder why the delay in presenting themselves?

Edited by sail7seas

OP, since you are on line right now could you perhaps answer the questions that have been asked of you?

Fill us in with more details.

Apparently, OP is not liking the tenor of the responses here, since they were on for a couple of hours, and started a new thread, but didn't come back to the first post and first thread started in 4 years.

New thread is on RCI forum, and is about cruising and not getting off ship, so I think OP may have some known issues with ship security or with LEO's in the various ports. They also state on that thread that their last cruise was 5 years ago, so this is when the security issue happened. Very strange that they would wait this long, but I guess they are looking for possible reasons to avoid another shakedown.

Edited by chengkp75