Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

I feel sorry for the family and it may sound cold, but this individual just got his 15 minutes of fame--ridiculous act.

If I had just posted a statement like that on a forum board, I would be scared to death of karma. You have a family also, and sometimes bad things happen to good people.

If I had just posted a statement like that on a forum board, I would be scared to death of karma. You have a family also, and sometimes bad things happen to good people.

..... except this didn't just "happen" to this man ... he didn't just accidentally trip, fall over the rail and end up out there ... he ELECTED to do something stupid and climb out on the lifeboat davit for whatever reason.

lets all stop being so melodramatic about this person and the really bad choice HE made.

Edited by F27TW

OMG. I am really stunned with the "stupid information".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who would've ever thought that someone in law enforcement would become abusive for no reason and then disappear so as not to face the fact that he was dead wrong :rolleyes:.

..... except this didn't just "happen" to this man ... he didn't just accidentally trip, fall over the rail and end up out there ... he ELECTED to do something stupid and climb out on the lifeboat davit for whatever reason.

lets all stop being so melodramatic about this person and the really bad choice HE made.

you were there and saw this?

That conversation was between the man on board and whomever was trying to get him away from the scene. He said" Im not going anywhere until he is back on board" Not the way you heard it. The man ONboard was also saying that those same people were at fault because they made him (the man ONboard) step out of the room.

two men reported fighting ("domestic") = husband/husband. during domestic its common to separate the couple. Let's not blame security for doing their job or for one deciding to jump over the balcony.

The suggestion being that RCCL is lying for some reason? That he did "trip" and find himself hanging for his life on a lifeboat davit?

Leaving that alone for a minute, he was resisting help. Anyone who watches the video can see he is clearly more concerned about getting attention from the idiots screaming than he is getting back on-board the boat.

The ones in the cabins are to be grabbed if necessary when you are in your cabin. Otherwise, there are plenty of life jackets stored near the muster areas also.

Anyone who is appalled by the video being posted does not have to click on it or watch it. It's a choice. In this day and age anything you do in public can be recorded.

Yes but there are always people on CC who want to act as censors for everyone else demanding that threads be pulled or locked. They just don't feel others are capable of making their own decisions on what to read or watch.

Yes.....

As others have stated, Oasis and Quantum class do not have them. Indy is not in either of those classes

Someone asked about ther ships/classes, so I responded. I have sailed the Oasis class a few times so I am well aware that they are not in the cabin.

Edited by A&L_Ont

you don't consider climbing over the rail (which witnesses saw him do) ... while screaming at your boyfriend up on deck and ending up hanging off a lifeboat to be a stupid move ??

Edited by F27TW

The use of Anderson, Williamson, or Scharnow turns is not as useful these days, and while still practiced, they are not of use for cruise ships these days.

I was on the Navigator in April 2011. The captain used one of these (I dont know the fine details) to make a quick turn when we saw struggling rafters. It was very clear that the ship was turning rather quickly. I was laying on the pool deck when I felt the ship listing a bit. I jumped up to see what was going on (along with many people around me). We were most certainly making a fairly sharp turn and a few minutes later he came over the loudspeaker to announce what was going on.

Someone asked about ther ships/classes, so I responded. I have sailed the Oasis class a few times so I am well aware that they are it in the cabin.

I have sailed in Oasis last July and they were not in the cabin. I asked cabin attendant about them and she told me that they are available at the muster station, no longer at cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He didn't crawl out on the lifeboat, he was staying in a cabin on deck 7 and jumped and landed on the lifeboat.

you don't consider climbing over the rail (which witnesses saw him do) ... while screaming at your boyfriend up on deck and ending up hanging off a lifeboat to be a stupid move ??

Totally agree with you. Feel really bad about the outcome, but people really do some unfortunate things that make me scratch my head. Such a shame.

He didn't crawl out on the lifeboat, he was staying in a cabin on deck 7 and jumped and landed on the lifeboat.

.. and that makes it sound any smarter ?? Climbing over his rail and JUMPING down onto a lifeboat ??

Totally agree with you. Feel really bad about the outcome, but people really do some unfortunate things that make me scratch my head. Such a shame.

Be careful. Someone around here will feel the need to call you out as seeming cold and heartless.:rolleyes:

Good to see you!:)

I was on the Navigator in April 2011. The captain used one of these (I dont know the fine details) to make a quick turn when we saw struggling rafters. It was very clear that the ship was turning rather quickly. I was laying on the pool deck when I felt the ship listing a bit. I jumped up to see what was going on (along with many people around me). We were most certainly making a fairly sharp turn and a few minutes later he came over the loudspeaker to announce what was going on.

I don't doubt you were listing somewhat, but if any cruise ship puts the wheel hard over at anything like full speed, the ship will heel about 30-35*. When the Sky did this, one person had an arcade machine fall on them. I worked with an engineer that was onboard at the time, and the water level was over the portholes in the ECR, which is 10-12' above the normal waterline. The pool emptied in a tidal wave. The Captain will turn the vessel as quickly as possible, allowing for the comfort and safety of the ship, and the ship would most likely have slowed prior to turning as well.

If that's what he did, yes stupid. You and I weren't there and that video doesn't tell the story at all. Witnesses aren't always reliable. He could have been pushed too. Until the investigation is complete, you and I don't know for sure what happened.

Edited by SeaUs

I don't doubt you were listing somewhat, but if any cruise ship puts the wheel hard over at anything like full speed, the ship will heel about 30-35*. When the Sky did this, one person had an arcade machine fall on them. I worked with an engineer that was onboard at the time, and the water level was over the portholes in the ECR, which is 10-12' above the normal waterline. The pool emptied in a tidal wave. The Captain will turn the vessel as quickly as possible, allowing for the comfort and safety of the ship, and the ship would most likely have slowed prior to turning as well.

I guess it was a modified version then!

As I've said before, without access to the bridge recorders, you have no idea what procedures are in place, what procedures were followed, or what needs to be reviewed or updated. With 40 years experience at sea, I won't speculate on how the situation could have been done better, since I, just like you, do not have all the data. Until you do, leave the speculation to the investigative agencies.

Cheng is quite right. We experienced this same emergency stop on LIberty once in the Gulf. The churning of the azipods as they put them in reverse was quite jolting, like "bang bang bang bang" shaking the ship and it woke me right away, I ran to the balcony and saw that the ship had gone in an arch and thrown out blinking beacons as they did, took quite a bit to totally stop. And took about an hour to locate their craft in the water with the search boat turning port to starboard and using a bull horn to try to locate the people. In our case, we rescued some Haitians. About 2:00 in the morning. I have video of them coming onboard to applause by everyone. That was a happy ending. :(This not so much.:(

We are sitting in the waiting area to board. People are still getting off the ship so no idea when we will board. Ugh.

Consecutive cruisers are now being organized to disembark and reboard...take a breathe and relax...you'll get here. Beyond Royal's control.