Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

Debarkation was very disorganized and slow this morning. Lots of angry guests and crew alike. We did self assist, but were still sitting in the theater for 45 minutes or so waiting for the line to move.

Too their credit, Customs was moving people through fast. No lines at all one we were free of the ship.

I just know when we were on a cruise in oct/nov and a crew member died I cried. I didn't want to continue on this cruise. It was very,very sad.

It isn't unusual for someone to die on a cruise. A lot of people with medical issues take cruises. If it puts you into such a funk maybe you should reconsider your choice of vacation?

two men reported fighting ("domestic") = husband/husband. during domestic its common to separate the couple. Let's not blame security for doing their job or for one deciding to jump over the balcony.

Who is blaming? If you can read,I posted what the man was saying, not my personal opinion

I don't doubt you were listing somewhat, but if any cruise ship puts the wheel hard over at anything like full speed, the ship will heel about 30-35*. When the Sky did this, one person had an arcade machine fall on them. I worked with an engineer that was onboard at the time, and the water level was over the portholes in the ECR, which is 10-12' above the normal waterline. The pool emptied in a tidal wave. The Captain will turn the vessel as quickly as possible, allowing for the comfort and safety of the ship, and the ship would most likely have slowed prior to turning as well.

Exactly! If the Captain threw the wheel over hard and did what the ship is capable of doing, there would have been a lot of damage on board, not to mention injuries and possible death. I don't expect the everyday cruise passenger to know this, but you and I certain do. Been there, done that. ;)

I have sailed in Oasis last July and they were not in the cabin. I asked cabin attendant about them and she told me that they are available at the muster station, no longer at cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can confirm this, in Oasis class they are at the muster station.

Exactly! If the Captain threw the wheel over hard and did what the ship is capable of doing, there would have been a lot of damage on board, not to mention injuries and possible death. I don't expect the everyday cruise passenger to know this, but you and I certain do. Been there, done that. ;)

Not to derail the thread but this is interesting. Can a ship this large really turn fast enough that people could be injured?

Not to derail the thread but this is interesting. Can a ship this large really turn fast enough that people could be injured?

As I said, the Sky turned in 2001 so violently that when the pool emptied, a passenger broke his/her pelvis from being washed out of the pool. If you google the Sky, Wikipedia mentions the accident. Carnival Ecstasy in 2010 injured 60 people from a turn, and Princess had a ship earlier this year in NZ that had a serious turn, but I don't think there were any injuries.

this is Mr Spook's old ship. while he was NOT on the bridge for this particular evolution, he has done this before

pay close attention the audio, especially at the beginning when they are announcing how fast she is going and when they announce full stop and astern. then pay attention to the wake and side.

and then laugh at the people who didn't believe the Blue Shirts when they were told the waves would come over the stern.

As I said, the Sky turned in 2001 so violently that when the pool emptied, a passenger broke his/her pelvis from being washed out of the pool. If you google the Sky, Wikipedia mentions the accident. Carnival Ecstasy in 2010 injured 60 people from a turn, and Princess had a ship earlier this year in NZ that had a serious turn, but I don't think there were any injuries.

The Grand Princess also had a hard turn off the coast of Galvenston a number of years ago that caused damage on board the ship. I do not remember if people were injured.

Absolutely. Norwegian Sky had an incident, as did the Crown Princess. There's a bunch of videos on You Tube of the Crown Princess incident. The Second Officer made a critical error, causing the severe list.

Edited by Aquahound

And it seems VERY irresponsible to me for the Master of a ship full of thousands of people to risk injury to his/her own passengers and crew (and the ship itself) just to "slam on the brakes" and do a hard turn to go back and pluck some damn fool out of the water who chose to hurl themselves overboard.

I can understand making a reasonable effort to search ... but not to the extent that it puts everyone else in danger.

It isn't unusual for someone to die on a cruise. A lot of people with medical issues take cruises. If it puts you into such a funk maybe you should reconsider your choice of vacation?

No kidding. On my recent Snowbird Migration cruise (14 day Canada to Florida) I saw four ambulances meet the ship in various ports, and heard one Alpha Alpha Alpha call. That's just the stuff I witnessed. With the age of passengers on that cruise, it wouldn't surprise me to find out there were more incidents. Thankfully nobody had a fight and got pushed/jumped overboard though. Hearing that Alpha call was scary enough. I hope to never hear the Oscar call.

According to my conversation with a 2nd officer, it takes six minutes and one mile to stop the Oasis. This is very fast for a ship this size.

Good information, maybe this is true when it travels at full speed (23kts), but on this itinerary they were on their last two sea days, and Oasis usually cruises at 16kts on those days, so it could take less than that.

Now I wonder how long it could take to QM2 to come to complete stop from it's 30kts cruise speed... That's a FAST ship.

this is Mr Spook's old ship. while he was NOT on the bridge for this particular evolution, he has done this before

pay close attention the audio, especially at the beginning when they are announcing how fast she is going and when they announce full stop and astern. then pay attention to the wake and side.

and then laugh at the people who didn't believe the Blue Shirts when they were told the waves would come over the stern.

That video made me smile. I miss my father's navy days. I always loved family day on the ships.

If I had just posted a statement like that on a forum board, I would be scared to death of karma. You have a family also, and sometimes bad things happen to good people.

You're kidding--bad karma, don't believe in it. At least knowing my immediate family, they love life too much to take such a irrational act. Wonder if this fellow had mental issues.

No kidding. On my recent Snowbird Migration cruise (14 day Canada to Florida) I saw four ambulances meet the ship in various ports, and heard one Alpha Alpha Alpha call. That's just the stuff I witnessed. With the age of passengers on that cruise, it wouldn't surprise me to find out there were more incidents. Thankfully nobody had a fight and got pushed/jumped overboard though. Hearing that Alpha call was scary enough. I hope to never hear the Oscar call.

On our last cruise in Indy there was a medical call for the starboard side of the solarium. I'm lying on a lounger and think to myself, W*T*F, I'm on the starboard side of the solarium. I get up and someone is down no more than 30 feet away from me. I was the first physician, and first person with any medical training for that matter, on the scene. Looking back on the incident it was interesting to be involved with it. Unfortunately, his family was there also witnessing the event.

Edited by Ocean Boy

This is a very sad and tragic event for the man, and all who know him. Also my prays go out to him, his family, friends, the crew/staff and officers who tried to help him and those who saw this happen on board the ship. Seeing some one go overboard will stay in these people hearts and minds for a long time. Very, very dad. I pray that he ids found alive.

This is a very sad and tragic event for the man, and all who know him. Also my prays go out to him, his family, friends, the crew/staff and officers who tried to help him and those who saw this happen on board the ship. Seeing some one go overboard will stay in these people hearts and minds for a long time. Very, very dad. I pray that he ids found alive.

search was called off

Where do you get your stupid information that there are no life vests in the cabins?

NCL Sun 10-2012,

RCCL Allure OTS 10-13-13,

NCL Getaway 9-26-2015

You sailed on Allure and didn't notice the absence of lifejackets in your stateroom? So you attend to Muster drills, but don't pay attention to instructions. You are a danger to fellow passengers buddy. You should be banned from cruises.

Was the search called off by RCCL and the Coast Guard?

Coast Guard. RCI hasn't been involved since the search was turned over to the Coast Guard Friday morning.

http://www.wptv.com/news/world/person-jumps-from-royal-caribbeans-oasis-of-the-seas-cruise-ship

Edited by Yorkvillain