Please join us - Spain to the New World on a new ship - LIVE from Oceania Riviera

kazu

We are in Madrid from Nov. 13-16th.

LOVE Andalusia. Spain is no stranger to us :) But we haven't been to the North of Spain so the combination of a land trip and a cruise to get home seemed perfect.

We'll be getting back into Madrid the day after you leave...but I am writing this from a Madrid hotel. Weather was beautiful yesterday..hope it stays this way for you.

Thinking about you both today and hoping you get an "all systems go" for the flights. Oh the stress of work stoppages! But you are nearly there.

Glad you travel through you and both my feet are firmly planted in terra firma until I finish the medical testing.

Can't wait for the "we arrived" post!!

Well, yesterday should have been a relaxing day of just cleaning and putting a few odds and sods in the bags & instead it was a very stressful day.

We are supposed to be flying Lufthanza out of Montreal via Munich & then to Bilbao.

Yesterday Lufthansa announced they were cancelling about 900 flights due the flight attendant's strike.

I checked their website and our flight was cancelled.

First call to Aeroplan since I have reward tickets. After about a long discussion (and me putting my foot down - I had read the rules) they said yes, I would be protected and to call Lufthansa.

So after about two hours of holds, discussions, etc. Lufthansa tells me our flight is going. I tell them the website says it is not and so does flightstats.com

They assure me it is still on so they can't change me. And then the website shows the flight is back on so I say fine.

A few hours later when I re-checked it was showing cancelled again. So after trying to get through for more times than I can count, I finally do and they are all set to re-route us with British Airways and then say "oops, can't, your flight isn't cancelled.

This morning it shows cancelled, call LH for arrivals and departures and it shows scheduled. If their day flight isn't coming in to Montreal, how are we flying out?

What was supposed to be a relaxing day has turned into a nightmare.

Those that know me, know I am a meticulous planner. You know what they say about best laid plans......

This has been a real roller coaster ride for the last 24 hours and the ride might not be over :eek:

So sorry for all the aggravation...here's hoping you WILL get off today and RELAX once you take off and the vacation begins! Luckily, because you are such a meticulous planner, you allowed time in Spain before the cruise departure! Your situation is yet another warning reminder to those who plan to fly in the same day as boarding!!!

Wishing you smooth travels from here on!

Just a quick update...we are in Montreal airport and.they have a lovely website as soon as you log in and our flight is listed in the departures.

Lufthansa website is showing us a scheduled so fingers crossed that in 5 hours we will be on the plane.

The next hurdle will be Munich as the Union has made another hit at Munich for tomorrow. It looks like long haul flights only so far (I hope) so we will just have to watch and see.

And yes, this is a very good reason why you should not fly in the day of the cruise. We usually allow at least 3 days, especially when we have a lot of time changes. This time it is a bit longer ;)

The good news is at least getting to Munich would mean you could if needed train to where you need to be. Much better than being on the other side of the ocean!

you got that right!

I'm glad things seem to be working out. Hope the cruise more than makes up for the aggravation you have been through!

at least we won't be flying back across the pond again :) Cruising is such a civilized way to travel :)

Just a quick update...we are in Montreal airport and.they have a lovely website as soon as you log in and our flight is listed in the departures.

Lufthansa website is showing us a scheduled so fingers crossed that in 5 hours we will be on the plane.

The next hurdle will be Munich as the Union has made another hit at Munich for tomorrow. It looks like long haul flights only so far (I hope) so we will just have to watch and see.

And yes, this is a very good reason why you should not fly in the day of the cruise. We usually allow at least 3 days, especially when we have a lot of time changes. This time it is a bit longer ;)

Hope you make it O.K. we are very interested in how cold this crossing will be. Looking at it for next year and it is hard to tell how cold it really will be. Love O and will be on Riviera in Feb. for 10 days. Can't wait. Have a wonderful, safe trip. :):):)

So sorry about the stress regarding the flights-no way to start a vacation.

Glad you are taking us along with you-we were so close to booking an Oceania cruise but then booked HAL. Just having trouble leaving what we are used to so am really looking forward to your comparison.

Hoping the rest of your trip goes very smooth.

Glad you are taking us along with you-we were so close to booking an Oceania cruise but then booked HAL. Just having trouble leaving what we are used to so am really looking forward to your comparison.

Oceania has some very good 'Canadian Specials'. Ask your TA about them, they

do not appear on their website. I just got an email within the last couple days. I highly recommend you give O a try, their service & food is excellent and the ships are beautiful!

YAY!!! our flight is on the board - yes, it is still there :)

Looks like we may just get outta' here.

RJB - I will certainly let you know about the weather on this crossing and we have done November before and it was nice, not hot, but nice.

The trouble with King Neptune & the weatherman is that you never know what they have in store for you. So best to plan accordingly and go with the flow ;)

thanks canuckqc - we got the Canadian specials

thanks candianbear & scopewest.

this trip has certainly turned out to be more of an adventure than I had anticipated.

Really appreciate all of the support and apologize for the diversion.

Oh, and assuming we do get on Lufthansa, kazu is a poor person with a rich man's (or should that be woman) tastes. (silk purse-sow's ear). So if this goes, we are on Lufthanza flying across the pond on First Class on a reward ticket ;) If anyone wants to anything about that, I am happy to share.

just got off the Eurodam

Oceania is a clear winner the only good thing I can say about HAL is the food in the MDR arrived fast & HOT ...Oceania could work on that

it is the little things that make a big difference

Give Oceania a try you may like it ;)