If Celebrity ceased to exist ... what would you do?

cl.klink

I have to say we're pretty loyal to Celebrity and would really have to give this one some careful thought. We very much enjoyed our 3 Azamara cruises, but I prefer the variety of entertainment Celebrity has on their ships (and I'm also not crazy about the Azamara cabins.) If Azamara had a new build with nicer cabins, that would certainly be an option; however, we'd have to go less frequently because of cost.

I'm quite stumped as to what we could try. We've tried HAL, Norwegian and Carnival, and they weren't for us. Perhaps we'd try RCL but I suspect the number of children aboard might not be our cup of tea. So far, I can't convince Jim to try Princess but maybe that would be a good fit.

I suspect that Crystal would probably suit us pretty well, although again, we'd have to go less frequently. Perhaps we'd enjoy Cunard but they don't have a huge selection of itineraries.

I hope we never have to answer this question for real. :D

It's hard to read these boards and not get a "the sky is falling" feel -- so much that so many do not like about "changes" in what Celebrity is now vs. once was vs. what it could be. Don't mean to criticize, but it's getting me down.

So, let me take a stab at looking at this in a more hopeful way -- something to look forward to.

What if rather than "fix" what is disliked about Celebrity, what if it did not exist. What line would you sail, then, and why? What's the "good alternative" here?

Looking for something to feel good about,

- Joel

I am not a cheer leader for any line. Give me good price ,good ports,new ship and I will cruise any line(but NCL). There is no such a thing like perfect Cruise line they all have problems in one area or another.

I have no problem cruising Royal Caribbean or NCL on the Getaway and am looking forward to trying the Escaoe. Am a huge fan of the rope course -- loved walking the plank and enjoyed several of the speciality restaurants . Love their spas and as long as I have a spa balcony room I will be a happy cruiser.

Life would go on,. Hevent tried Princess but am curious after reading some responses on this board .

Edited by roniruffi

Have sailed many lines for the itinerary. Celebrity is our favorite. Took dear GS on Princess, for itinerary that he wanted. At dinner one evening, a fellow cruiser asked for our favorite line. I replied Celebrity. To which another guest replied, "Well, I've never heard that before."

That was my second Princess cruise. Still prefer "X." Although the interior cabin design was excellent. No mid ship stairway and small elevators- not good. Lost my coffee card after 2 coffees - the one thing they couldn't replace.

Do as we have over the years. Cruise on RCI, Princess, NCL, HAL, MSC and Costa. No one cruise line is the best at all things. People who only cruise one cruise line are really missing out. Like many are now saying - 'I am getting tired of the same cruise line that I have been cruising on for over 10 years. What should I do?' This applies to most of the CC forums/cruise lines.

Try another cruise line!!!!!!!

Nope, neither hostile or elderly. Just replying to a post. Who wouldn't want to spend a week in a dorm Quonset hut viewing polar bears in Churchill Canada?

Uhm, perhaps you aren't aware of the fact that Road Scholar used to be Elderhostel.

Edited by Fouremco

I'd try Disney because I hear it's a lot of fun and has more adult-friendly activities than their name would suggest.

Maybe used to be true, but they've been moving away from that; they nuked their liquor policy (can't bring it onboard anymore), and they now close the adult pool and hot tubs at 10pm. And the ONLY way to avoid chaotic dining rooms full of kids is to do upcharge dining every single night. No buffet.

Source: I tried to do an adults only cruise on Dream in September. And yes I had late seating. It did NOT help.

Celebrity has just ceased to exist for us after this last cruise on the Infinity. We have cruised with Celebrity since 1987 and have loved the line in the past. However, it is not the same and we will not sail it again. The ships do not live well for us at all anymore. The service is not up to their standard. We do not like the S class ships at all - the old feel of being a cut above just isn't there.

We will continue to cruise with Princess and we love their Grand class and the Royal class ships on that line. Those ships suite the way we like to live on a cruise. We may try Oceania and cruise fewer times a year.

I did not like the Infinity.. I was on it once and never again. I like the other Celebrity ships. Try again.

Uhm, perhaps you aren't aware of the fact that Road Scholar used to be Elderhostel.

Quite aware of that. Their minimum age now, if I remember correctly, is 50. They have some very active itineraries, just not as luxurious as Celebrity, esp. when sailing in a suite. We kissed a whale in Baja with Road Scholar which was an amazing experience.