Will RCCL be next...

davekathy

Whilst I generally quite like traditional things, I'll be glad when formal night isn't so formal.

Perhaps this is less of an issue in the US where people drive to ports (or maybe baggage allowances are higher?) but I when I fly from the UK, I struggle to justify the luggage space/weight for a formal suit jacket and trousers and usually 2 shirts for just 2 nights. It's simply not worth it.

When I eat, I don't like eating in the jacket anyway and it usually ends up hung on the back of my chair, so I actually wear it for around 15 minutes a night (cabin to MDR and back) if that.

Recently I have taken to taking lounge suit trousers and a couple of shirts/ties to wear and must admit that I'm glad when there are plenty of others who aren't so formally dressed (though still think there should be a degree of "smartness" in the MDR) and I'll be even happier if this isn't necessary going forward!!

I wear a suit at work all day every day and when I'm on holiday I really don't want to wear one then too!!

Interestingly a relative who works in more casual wear during the week, loves to put his suit on for special occasions and if we're both attending a "smart casual" event, he will invariably be in a suit/jacket, shirt and tie where as I'll be in smart jeans/trousers and a smart open collared casual shirt!!

We have been on P&O and RCI and a rough guess would be 50% on RCI adhering to the dress code on formal nights. Whereas on P&O it is more like 95%.

And that is the reason we never plan to sail with P&O.

We welcome this news, we will certainly sail with Celebrity more in the future. We have just booked with RC, we would have chosen Celebrity had we known about this policy change.

Well done Celebrity.

The thread on this at the Celebrity boards has 760 posts.......:D

There's actually seven different threads on the Celebrity boards talking about the same thing. That poor dead old horse has been beat to a pulp. It's like the Eveready bunny...

Edited by davekathy

In that short twelve years formal has become less and less observed to the letter and more and more exceptions seemed to be made now.

That those twelve years also correspond with the airlines adding charges for checked bags is probably not a coincidence.

This issue seems so easy to me. If you want to dress to the nines, do so whenever you want, and enjoy how your party looks and the admiration you'll get as you pass by other guests. If you expect others to dress to the nines for your viewing pleasure, get over it or go sail Cuinard.

No shorts enforcement on Freedom this summer

Definitely not. When we were on FoS in August, there were tons of shorts, t-shirts (many tank tops also), and even a lot of baseball hats being worn in the MDR every night through the first 6 nights. Then, on the last night night, it seemed pretty much everyone was in shorts and/or were super-casual in some way or another. Any consideration of a dress code/suggestion/guideline went completely out the window that night.

Give it a rest...You post the same type of thing on every one of these types of threads. Not sure why I even bother responding to you, since you're just being a troll.

because its topical. and if you can talk about the same crap over and over so can i, so stick to you formal main dining and just be quiet. i can care less of your opinion just like you do of mine

Edited by SaintL

And that is the reason we never plan to sail with P&O.

We welcome this news, we will certainly sail with Celebrity more in the future. We have just booked with RC, we would have chosen Celebrity had we known about this policy change.

Well done Celebrity.

I would actually consider a return to Celebrity now with their new relaxed policy. This suddenly increases our choices.

Im sure we could all see this coming. I use to wear a coat and tie when I first started cruising, then several cruises later went down to a shirt and tie and the last few, I wore dockers and a golf type shirt. I still dont think its appropriate to wear shorts in the MDR, but that's my opinion.

That those twelve years also correspond with the airlines adding charges for checked bags is probably not a coincidence.

This issue seems so easy to me. If you want to dress to the nines, do so whenever you want, and enjoy how your party looks and the admiration you'll get as you pass by other guests. If you expect others to dress to the nines for your viewing pleasure, get over it or go sail Cuinard.

WTG.

But I still hope they formalize no formal night. I intend to dress smart casual all nights.

I hope they do away with it. I could care less if people come to the dining room in their pjs, but it will be wonderful to not hear my DH complain about wearing a suit two nights. It won't prevent people from dressing up if they want to, but will make those happy who don't like the suit and tie.

People think unless the cruise line puts a gun to everyones head and forces them to dress to the nine's that they will just default to this. It's a really strange thought pattern.

Carl_Brutananadilewski.png

Re: This guy's dress and those who turn their baseball cap bllls from the back to the front on formal night are why my wife and I always choose My Time Dinning.

It is the 21st Century, not the early 20th. Cruising now means that folks are no longer smoking everywhere and the dress code allows passengers to relax while on their vacation. It is certainly not the end of Western Civilization as we know it!

I hope that RCCL follows suit (pun intended);)

Just home today from the Enchantment of the Seas and was surprised that they allowed shorts and t-shirts on formal night. Boy was i over dressed.

I was on the Grandeur of the Seas last week and they wouldn't even let me in MDR wearing shorts for dinner. They were very nice shorts and a button up shirt. Yet someone wearing a bright red track suit gets in and others wearing NASCAR shirts.

I'm thrilled about the end of formal nights on Celebrity. It's a relic from another time. Now on my upcoming Celebrity cruise my DH and I can dress comfortably, albeit appropriately, for all nights of the cruise, without being forced to lug along clothing that we prefer not to wear on our vacation.