Glass show on the Equinox going away?

Mcobean

I really hope not. We booked the April TA on Equinox for our honeymoon and are REALLY looking forward to the glass show. We loved it on the Solstice and given all the sea days on a TA look forward to seeing several shows.

Did he give any indication as to timing? I'm not entire surprised, as I imagine the glass shops aren't easy to keep up. But they're a special part of the ships that have them and the shows are always very popular. I really hope they don't go away.

I suggest the original overall contract with the Glass Making Company, dating back to 2007 while the ''S'' class first of the class was being built ,is expiring.

Also, Lawn Grill Club has proven to be a better revenue producer for

==X== in that overall space.

Thus ,it's on the last 2 ''S'' class and now introduced on the ''M'' class,rebranded as ''Roof top .....''.

My opinion anyways.

We don't like the glass shows, seen it twice (on two different ships) so we would love to see the space used for something different - e.g. the Lawn Club Grill. Sorry all Glass Show lovers :)

However, I really hope it does not get just another bar, even if it is a Whiskey bar then.

Edited by UniPac

Celebrity pays Corning for the glass show....it is an expense to Celebrity. Clearly, to me, the shows will be replaced when the current contract runs out and the space will be converted to a profit center rather than a cost center. One would assume the timing will probably be during the next drydock for each ship, after the contract runs out or is affordably terminable.

Edited by ghstudio

Just my two cents, but I'd much prefer the Lawn Grill or similar eatery to a Whiskey Bar. Having yet another drinking venue on board just doesn't appeal to me.

Given the amount of electric power in that area, I'd bet on something on the food side, not another bar...especially since there is already a bar quite close on that deck. The one thing you can count on though...the decision will be made based on $'s of profit per square foot and there is far more profit on drinks than food...ask any restaurant owner.

Given the amount of electric power in that area, I'd bet on something on the food side, not another bar...especially since there is already a bar quite close on that deck. The one thing you can count on though...the decision will be made based on $'s of profit per square foot and there is far more profit on drinks than food...ask any restaurant owner.

Celebrity's calculation would not be the same as the restaurant owner's. Question for X is how much another bar would increase cash (non-package) sales of drinks, since it's not likely to affect the sales of drink packages. Of course one can ask the same question about another food service space, which would depend on the sort of restaurant it would be.

We have seen the show on two separate cruises, the first time it is a novelty, but can become boring after a time. The lawn deck is a fantastic area on the Equinox, great place to read and book and relax, but honestly, it is a very under utilized area of the ship. In today's climate, ships have to make money on more restaurants, bars, venues. I would certainly expect that the Equinox, as the newer Solstice Class Ships have done, will use it for either a restaurant, bar etc. Just hope they will make it a "high class" activity.

Just off the Equinox TA this week and had heard from a World Class bar tender that they would be replacing the glass show with a whiskey bar. Anyone else hear this?

We left the Equinox November 9th after spending a month onboard, and also heard about the upcoming whiskey bar.

But what we heard was something different -- the whiskey bar is not replacing the hot glass show by the lawn but instead will be in that interior small space which was a glass exhibit in the past. If you look at the Equinox deck plans that space is on the port side of deck 15 right beside the stairs and just aft of the elevator bank. The lights inside are often off but the door open. It is under-utilized and easy to overlook now.

Our source was not a bartender but one of the "stripes." Will be interesting to see who was more accurate -- the bartender or the "stripe."

We left the Equinox November 9th after spending a month onboard, and also heard about the upcoming whiskey bar.

But what we heard was something different -- the whiskey bar is not replacing the hot glass show by the lawn but instead will be in that interior small space which was a glass exhibit in the past. If you look at the Equinox deck plans that space is on the port side of deck 15 right beside the stairs and just aft of the elevator bank. The lights inside are often off but the door open. It is under-utilized and easy to overlook now.

Our source was not a bartender but one of the "stripes." Will be interesting to see who was more accurate -- the bartender or the "stripe."

That would be a tiny bar/venue....but it is essentially wasted space. I can't see that space being converted...not worth the cost.

Your are right about the Sunset bar being close to the glassblowing. But on Silhouette they removed the Oceanveiw Bar deck 10. It was difficult to get drinks last March on Silhouette. Service on deck 10 was slow. Adding another bar might help.

I would much rather have the Glassblowing show. I go to more glassblowing shows than entertainment in the theater.

The bartender only said it would be "soon" (whatever that means) and he thought it would be a good addition to the ship.

Well of course he would. He's a bartender! :rolleyes: Personally I love the fact that the Corning Glass Show still exists. It is unique to X and though maybe not enjoyable to all, it provides a different form of entertainment to many who do enjoy it. Certainly don't need another bar - and a "specialty" one at that. Just another way for X to grab extra $$ from us. Oh well.....Why don't we all just wait until a formal announcement is made??

And I agree that it won't be in the immediate future since they are under contract to Corning.

I would also like to see the other green space near the show remain green! A ship needs SOME open space and there just isn't much left. (JMHO)

They just grabbed the last "open space" on the Summit & Infinity with their jumbotrons, aka "Rooftop Terrace".

Open space/free venues = gone. If it doesn't make or take money, it's gone. Sad.

My wife will be heartbroken if the Glass Show goes away.

I'm not in the business, so I could possibly be wrong (it has happened before), but a whiskey bar seems like a terrible idea. Whiskey appeals to a very narrow demographic: whiskey drinkers. Those who like it tend to really like it. Those who could do without it vastly outnumber those who do and will likely never darken the door in such a place. An alternative eatery makes exponentially better sense in my mind. If they just absolutely had to try the whiskey experiment, tuck it into that little showroom off the elevator lobby where they keep the glass supplies. Or the crummy little t-shirt shop on the other side that's never open.

My wife will be heartbroken if the Glass Show goes away.

I'm not in the business, so I could possibly be wrong (it has happened before), but a whiskey bar seems like a terrible idea. Whiskey appeals to a very narrow demographic: whiskey drinkers. Those who like it tend to really like it. Those who could do without it vastly outnumber those who do and will likely never darken the door in such a place. An alternative eatery makes exponentially better sense in my mind. If they just absolutely had to try the whiskey experiment, tuck it into that little showroom off the elevator lobby where they keep the glass supplies. Or the crummy little t-shirt shop on the other side that's never open.

Whiskeys and Bourbons are the new wines. They are tall the rage these days, where wine had a good 10 year run. Evidence: Cellar Masters rise and fall.

We love the itineraries offered by Equinox, (next year she is overnight in Ibiza, and visiting Valencia, etc) but the ship not offering what Reflection or Silhouette offers makes us hesitant to book, we love the lawn club grill, and the hideaway....

For me, food is always a winner, winner, chicken dinner!:D

You cant eat those glass things.

The "glass blowing" is getting a bit old. Maybe, it's time for a change. :)

That seems to be the consensus here, yet I've never sat in on or walked by a demonstration that hasn't been SRO. Perhaps it's a reflection of the fact that, unlike most of those who have posted here, there are lots of passengers on every cruise who have not been previously sailed on a ship offering the glass blowing.

That seems to be the consensus here, yet I've never sat in on or walked by a demonstration that hasn't been SRO. Perhaps it's a reflection of the fact that, unlike most of those who have posted here, there are lots of passengers on every cruise who have not been previously sailed on a ship offering the glass blowing.

I've seen the glass shows on maybe four or five cruises and when on one of the three ships, I try not to miss a single show. Personally, I'd rather watch someone who's extremely talented demonstrate their artistic skill than to watch an art auctioneer trying to pump a piece of art....or sit through a talk on where to shop in a port (otherwise known as where to shop so the ship person gets a commission).