Early flight out of Miami

jsf

I have a chance to fly out of Miami airport at 9:30 Am, can I make this without a problem?

J.

As previously stated if everything goes right but that is cutting it real close, especially in Miami. Do you really want to go on a cruise and have it in the back of your mind during the entire trip whether you are going to make the flight home at the end.

The last time we were in MIA, we did walk-off. We were about the 10th people in line to go through immigration. Then their computers went down. About an hour later, we made it through and were off to the airport. Think we got there about 9:30 with all the delays.

If you do the early flight, have a Plan B and maybe a Plan C ready. Know which flights, carriers and flight numbers are next in line to leave and be prepared to hop on those flights the minute you know you're going to miss your original flight IF that happens.

Greetings

Miami airport is a zoo. Do you have a TSA trusted traveler number? You could easily be in the regular security line for an hour. Do you need to check your bags? Another set of long lines. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it's not a high probability of success plan.

Good Sailing

Tom

Yes I am a pirate - 200 years too late

I know sometimes some flights can have great advantages in terms of direct, cheaper, home earlier, in work the next day....but I do find it difficult to understand why you are putting so much pressure on yourself. 9.30 is really early.

If you self disembark, if immigration goes smoothly, if there is no queue for a taxi.....if you go with this option you may even end up at the gate with time to spare. However, you will have had this worry at the back of your mind all cruise....the morning itself will be stressful enough for you to need another cruise!

NO! :eek:

For a 9:30 flight you need to be at MIA by 8:00 - earlier is better; the above description of MIA's TSA lines as a "zoo" are insulting to the animals. :o

Figure 30 minutes to get loaded into a cab and from POM to MIA during rush hour -- that translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration before 7:30.

Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused: Do yourself a favor and book a flight closer to noon. ;)

Just do typical time saving measures and you will make it (well at least the odd's will be heavily in you favor).

Some on here don't even fly out same day as arrival, and MANY insist they have to fly in 1 or more days early, "just in case of delays"...If you are a seasoned traveler, you will have no problem making flight (at least at a very high percentage of the time). If you are not a seasoned traveler, or get stressed out about such things, don't do early flight.

(check in online day before, self disembark, get in self disembark line an hour early so you are first or near first off, have TSA precheck (it's about $100 for 5 years for best program that includes precheck and expedited customs), only use carry on bags if possible, arrange car to airport (or use uber), and you SHOULD be at gate too early!

No way. Miami is bad normally and years past. But nowadays, you can bet it involves more lines and time. If you attempt it, be sure to have alternate plans in hand.

We are frequent visitors/cruisers to Fl. Listen to the experienced, not advice from people that haven't seen this port and airport in action more than a handful of times.

Look at the Florida departures board where you'll find residents that can advise too.

Edited by eandj

I am considering a 9:45 am flight in March after our next cruise on the Reflection.

The wife & I both have Global Entry/TSA Pre, I'm AA Advantage Gold so can check luggage quicker and will do walk off. If the Global Entry line is at Port of Miami, like it currently is at Port Everglads in Ft. Lauderdale I will go for the earlier flight. Am using AA points so cost is not an issue just a better departure time.

Have any recent returning Reflection sailers noticed a Global Entry sign at the Miami location?

Just off Reflection Saturday. No Global Entry. We looked and asked. If there is a line at immigration/customs, I recommend hiring a porter. Those that overpacked and needed a porter to carry their luggage got to cut to the front of the line.

Just off Reflection Saturday. No Global Entry. We looked and asked. If there is a line at immigration/customs, I recommend hiring a porter. Those that overpacked and needed a porter to carry their luggage got to cut to the front of the line.

Thanks, I will book the later flight. I'm a bit surprised there is a Global Entery line at most, if not all the terminals at Port Everglades but not at Port of Miami.

We will give you our standard answer (based on a lot of experience). If you are able to change your flight (at the last minute) without penalty to a later flight then "go for it." Otherwise, you need to consider that your ability to make that flight will depend on issues totally outside of your control. For example, your ship can dock late (this does happen because of weather, delay getting the pilot aboard, unexpected traffic in the harbor, etc) or the ships clearance can be delayed by the US authorities (CBP) for various reasons. Regarding CBP we have been on cruises where ships where not cleared until after 9am...although this is rare.

Hank

Thanks, I will book the later flight. I'm a bit surprised there is a Global Entery line at most, if not all the terminals at Port Everglades but not at Port of Miami.

If you do self-disembarkation, you won't need to worry about customs lines...there will be no lines if you are the first off the ship.(I hate to use absolutes...there is obviously always a chance that something could cause that not to be true...but the chance is so low that it is almost zero)

If you do self-disembarkation, you won't need to worry about customs lines...there will be no lines if you are the first off the ship.(I hate to use absolutes...there is obviously always a chance that something could cause that not to be true...but the chance is so low that it is almost zero)

Zero? We think not...at least based on our own meager experience. We have probably disembarked in POM/Port Everglades 60-70 times over the years. On 3 or those cruises (all quite memorable) disembarkation was delayed (for hours) due to CBP. And in other ports around the world we have had several other major delays due to late dockings. And not too long ago we docked 2 hours late in Bayonne and then CBP delayed everyone more then another hour (they had trouble coping with the late docking). Hundreds on that cruise (Celebrity) missed their flights our of various NYC airports.

So here is rhetorical question? While some cruisers really need to catch early flights due to scheduling issues, many just do it because they simply want to be off the ship and home. Why? Given a choice (and we understand that not everyone has a choice) we would always opt to be among the last off a ship. Rather then have the anxiety of trying to be among the first off, catching an early flight, getting an early taxi, etc. why not stay aboard until 9:30, have a nice relaxing breakfast, relax on the pool deck (while hundreds or thousands of your fellow cruisers are stressing-out trying to rush off the ship), and then later in the morning simply take an elevator (no delays or crowds at this point), stroll off the ship without having to move your own luggage hundreds of yards, quickly find your luggage from among the few remaining pieces, easily grab a taxi (no lines), etc.

Hank

Zero? We think not...at least based on our own meager experience. We have probably disembarked in POM/Port Everglades 60-70 times over the years. On 3 or those cruises (all quite memorable) disembarkation was delayed (for hours) due to CBP. And in other ports around the world we have had several other major delays due to late dockings. And not too long ago we docked 2 hours late in Bayonne and then CBP delayed everyone more then another hour (they had trouble coping with the late docking). Hundreds on that cruise (Celebrity) missed their flights our of various NYC airports.

So here is rhetorical question? While some cruisers really need to catch early flights due to scheduling issues, many just do it because they simply want to be off the ship and home. Why? Given a choice (and we understand that not everyone has a choice) we would always opt to be among the last off a ship. Rather then have the anxiety of trying to be among the first off, catching an early flight, getting an early taxi, etc. why not stay aboard until 9:30, have a nice relaxing breakfast, relax on the pool deck (while hundreds or thousands of your fellow cruisers are stressing-out trying to rush off the ship), and then later in the morning simply take an elevator (no delays or crowds at this point), stroll off the ship without having to move your own luggage hundreds of yards, quickly find your luggage from among the few remaining pieces, easily grab a taxi (no lines), etc.

Hank

Two reasons that we seem to use each time, Early off the ship means (typically) Customs is MUCH quicker to get through (before the major back up happens), and the flights are (usually) much cheaper in the early a.m. (probably because they know the later flights will sell out and thus can charge a higher price).

I would rather sit at a lounge at the airport (with full serives) than sit on the ship that has shut down services (knowing that we are through the gauntlet of getting to the airport).

Your example is why I don't like to use absolutes...in your example 3 of 70 cruises had issues...If that was the only stat I had, I would take the early flight gamble...but obviously others would not do that or would be really nervous.

Two reasons that we seem to use each time, Early off the ship means (typically) Customs is MUCH quicker to get through (before the major back up happens), and the flights are (usually) much cheaper in the early a.m. (probably because they know the later flights will sell out and thus can charge a higher price).

I would rather sit at a lounge at the airport (with full serives) than sit on the ship that has shut down services (knowing that we are through the gauntlet of getting to the airport).

Your example is why I don't like to use absolutes...in your example 3 of 70 cruises had issues...If that was the only stat I had, I would take the early flight gamble...but obviously others would not do that or would be really nervous.

Ahhhh, but the reality is that many lines do not really shut down services...but you would not know since you are already off the ship :). For example, on our recent Regal Princess cruise (3 weeks ago) the Lido buffet was operating until 9:30 and the International Cafe (coffee, espresso, pastries, etc) was always open. We relaxed on the ship until around 9:15, and then walked off with no line (Global Entry helped) and no delays.

As to very early flights costing less, we agree this can be a strong incentive. On the other hand, if you were to miss that early flight how much would you have to pay to rebook? But the truth is we love to see many rushing off the ship early, or even waiting in long queues...because it means it is just more quiet and relaxing for those of us who find a nice spot to relax and extend our cruise a few more hours.

Hank

Ahhhh, but the reality is that many lines do not really shut down services...but you would not know since you are already off the ship :). For example, on our recent Regal Princess cruise (3 weeks ago) the Lido buffet was operating until 9:30 and the International Cafe (coffee, espresso, pastries, etc) was always open. We relaxed on the ship until around 9:15, and then walked off with no line (Global Entry helped) and no delays.

As to very early flights costing less, we agree this can be a strong incentive. On the other hand, if you were to miss that early flight how much would you have to pay to rebook? But the truth is we love to see many rushing off the ship early, or even waiting in long queues...because it means it is just more quiet and relaxing for those of us who find a nice spot to relax and extend our cruise a few more hours.

Hank

good points...i've only sailed Celebrity (one lindblad..but that's not comparable), so my posts only directly relate to X.

And the way we do it (getting to door an hour early), we are at front of line, or close to it...while in line other person can go and get some food or drink. I would rather get to airport lounge and relax instead of being last off the ship (with no/limited service and a highly likely massive backup at customs).

Don't get me wrong, self disembarkation isn't for everyone (or even for most), and I'm glad that is the case!

Please come back and let us know if you were able to make your plane. It might be useful info for other cruisers

In actuality, it really wouldn't be "useful", as every single circumstance is different for every traveler. For every cruiser who actually made an early flight, there are probably many who didn't. This question gets asked here frequently, and always gets answered the exact same way..... "yes" and "no". It absolutely all depends... :eek: