Would you pay a premium for an itinerary you really liked?

warmwinds

We just booked Canada/New England for June 27, 2017. That's right, June, they usually only do that itin in Sept/Oct.

It is only 10 nights, overnights in Halifax, overnights in Boston (on the 4th of July), goes to Bar Harbor, Newport, RI and Portland, ME and best of all for me, the Bay of Fundy (always wanted to go there). No Quebec (we've been to Quebec many times), no PEI, no other remote cities in Canada.

Love the itinerary. The weather should be nicer than the iffy Fall.

So what's the problem?

It's virtually the same price as their 14 night Canada itins in the Fall.

I feel "taken" to pay the same for 4 less nights, but on the other hand I really like the itinerary sooo much.

We just booked Canada/New England for June 27, 2017. That's right, June, they usually only do that itin in Sept/Oct.

It is only 10 nights, overnights in Halifax, overnights in Boston (on the 4th of July), goes to Bar Harbor, Newport, RI and Portland, ME and best of all for me, the Bay of Fundy (always wanted to go there). No Quebec (we've been to Quebec many times), no PEI, no other remote cities in Canada.

Love the itinerary. The weather should be nicer than the iffy Fall.

So what's the problem?

It's virtually the same price as their 14 night Canada itins in the Fall.

I feel "taken" to pay the same for 4 less nights, but on the other hand I really like the itinerary sooo much.

Please do not mention this cruise. I booked Ireland/Iceland for May 2017 as soon as it came out because our DS has been dying to go to Iceland and asking us for a few years to go. We figured a comprise would be a cruise that goes there.

Then they release the Bermuda/Canada New England cruises for 2017 and I saw the 6/27 cruise and wanted to cry. I have been waiting years for Celebrity to do this cruise. There is no way I could do both cruises unless I win the lottery. I do not want to put off Ireland/Iceland either as Celebrity only does it once a year.

You are paying more because it's in June which is always prime vacation time. Most things close around Labor Day so the fall cruises are off season.

Edited by CruisingChick

We will pay a moderate premium for a special itinerary (like some of the ones mentioned here--once a year type, e.g.). We will pay more for an itinerary that is truly unique and of limited availability (like when we did Galapagos or an Antarctic expedition).

By the same token, if we take a run of the mill itinerary, we want a good deal to make it palatable.

Warmwinds, you answered your own question. You booked despite that ripped off feeling you had. I like that Celebrity is trying to get out of the itinerary rut they've been in. The cruises that hit New Orleans have been very fast sellers for them. People are looking for something new.

I guess it all depends on how one defines "premium".

My philosophy is that when we see an itinerary that we really want to experience, and the price is reasonably within our budget, we book it. Others may feel that we are paying a premium -- so be it. We are not saying everyone should be willing to pay that amount, but to us it feels agreeable, no premium involved. Too many factors come into play to give a hard definition as to just what constitutes a "premium".

N Ray H

There are three types of cruises....

The ones where the relax and enjoy is the focus, ports are important but not vital...

A good itinerary cruise, hitting places you would like to visit and never have...

Then there is your dream cruise.....you casually browse and suddenly you spot a cruise that is hitting everything you want!!! Bucket list places, starting and finishing in amazing destinations. You know if you do not book this cruise you will regret it forever!

When you spot one of these you just have to go for it! Have completed one such holiday and have another booked. Love cruising!!!

Please do not mention this cruise. I booked Ireland/Iceland for May 2017 as soon as it came out because our DS has been dying to go to Iceland and asking us for a few years to go. We figured a comprise would be a cruise that goes there.

Why compromise...Iceland is a wonderful country to visit and it's worth more than a fly by cruise. Rent a car and drive around. On Icelandic airlines, it's also a free (up to 7 days) stopover on a trip to Europe. We just stopped there for two days going from Boston to London.....great visit, but too short. Driving is easy if you stay on main roads which is also easy.

As far as cruising, some areas of the world are just more expensive to visit....the total of air fare plus cruise fare plus ..... We take that into consideration..it's not just cost per day stuff. We also would pay more to visit ports or waters that we want to see rather than just visiting the standard places or places we've been.

Edited by ghstudio

I am paying a premium for our Around The Horn cruise. It's 3x-4x more than we pay per night on a Caribbean cruise. But hey, bucket list right? Although it's a bargain compared to the cost now.

Edited by sr4mjc

Just to point out - not only is this a July 4th cruise, it is also a July 1st cruise, overnighting in Halifax on that night, a Saturday to boot. You can count on a big celebration there that night, too, likely also with lots of fireworks.

This cruise would be a big sell for both Americans and Canadians. Double celebrations!

I had no idea about Canada Day being July 1! I am feeling great about this cruise now, lol!

Seriously, I am...

My point was the same basic trip ("Canada/New England") 10 days for the price of 14...but who cares, it's only money, and it DOES sound special!

Thanks everyone, you put it all into perspective.

Since the itinerary is a high priority for us, I suppose we do pay "premium" for an itinerary we find appealing.

Do consider a trip to Iceland itself. In 2014 we spent a week in Iceland following the Constellation spring TA (plus a week in Brussels and another week in Amsterdam). While we have been to Amsterdam on prior occasions and we also throughly enjoyed Brussels (and would return in a heart-beat) the week in Iceland was just intriguing. Navigating this island nation by rental car was easy-peasy. And we had so much fun that we are returning (following a series of Eclipse cruises including the 12 night Iceland and Ireland cruise) for a longer stay this next May.

Did you ever see the Walter Mitty movie? He has to race a volcanic eruption on Iceland.

I would love to go there someday, and the "free" stopover sounds really intriguing. I'm probably showing my age, but back in the late 60's they had the same deal, everyone would fly Icelandic to Europe and stop there.

We were fortunate to get some amazing deals on Celebrity in the last few years. (which explains why we've cruised in Europe 5 times in the last 6 years!)

We've managed to cruise on the awesome S class ships for as less as USD 105 (per person, per night) for a veranda stateroom. We usually pay USD 100 pp/pn for inside staterooms.

Earlier this year, Celebrity Silhouette started sailing the Baltic. We loved the itinerary and we booked it for just under USD 200 per person per night (veranda stateroom). It was easily amongst the best cruises and holidays we ever had.

The maximum we've stretched ourselves for an itinerary we like is USD 220 per person per night (inside stateroom) for the Rio Carnival cruise in 2017. For the same price we'll be able to snag a suite on another ship, but this one's purely for the itinerary.

Plenty of time to save up for that cruise.

If it ends up in Quebec or not, but prefer to board or disembark in Quebec. I did Quebec to FLL last fall. basically the same ports, and it was COLD, but FUN. It was especially great because we stayed in Quebec for 4 days prior to the cruise. Quebec is a special city, but by Florida standards PRICY.

Yes I would pay dear for a Itinerary that was a must do.

Then they release the Bermuda/Canada New England cruises for 2017 and I saw the 6/27 cruise and wanted to cry. I have been waiting years for Celebrity to do this cruise. There is no way I could do both cruises unless I win the lottery. I do not want to put off Ireland/Iceland either as Celebrity only does it once a year.

You are paying more because it's in June which is always prime vacation time. Most things close around Labor Day so the fall cruises are off season.

You will love Iceland, it was amazing.

A British Isles cruise was never on our radar because we've spent weeks in Scotland, England and Ireland and the ports were not exciting to us.

But because my SiL has a British Isles cruise on her bucket list, I began looking at Celebrity's offerings. When I saw the Aug. 6th Silhouette 14 night out of Amsterdam that overnights for the Tattoo in Edinburgh, I was amazed that we'd only been to 2 ports previously, not counting Edinburgh, which we've visited but not during the Tattoo! Plus it leaves/returns from Amsterdam which was a city on my bucket list!

DH & I booked this cruise in August- 9 months after the itinerary came out and prices were higher than any other cruise we've taken thus far. It took awhile to commit, and, when we did, we lucked out in that the cabin price of $3099pp hadn't increased but the promotions had! So we were able to Go Better for that price. And our TA is giving $500 OBC. Today the OV is $4049!!

If the same itinerary is available for 2017, I'd encourage booking as ASAP

Ironically, SiL/BiL opted not to take this cruise:confused:!