SS cabins on Koningsdam very inefficient

After looking at the floor plan for an SS cabin, I could not believe that they took at least a third of it for a walled off makeup/office desk. The living/bed area are cramped, the couch is tiny, and it seems like there is no living area.

Do HAL designers think that sitting at a desk with no view, or doing makeup warrants such wasted space.

Just bad design IMHO.

One more reason why I will never book on that ship (others are the increased number of passengers, and the artificially higher prices).

Edited by jpelleti007

I think in the long run HAL will find out this was a big mistake but for now at least for the early sailings that category is selling. But who knows know one has actually seen the Signature Suites so we can only hope it is better than what it appears to be. I myself booked one of the aft Vista suites.

Number of passengers will not scare that many off and prices will drop when sales decline. As long as cabins keep selling at the current offered prices HAL will have no reason to lower prices. Basically it is supply and demand. The price for the Koningsdam is actually not that high. In time the prices will drop just like the other HAL ships and they too will have the give away pricing.

After looking at the floor plan for an SS cabin, I could not believe that they took at least a third of it for a walled off makeup/office desk. The living/bed area are cramped, the couch is tiny, and it seems like there is no living area.

Do HAL designers think that sitting at a desk with no view, or doing makeup warrants such wasted space.

Just bad design IMHO.

One more reason why I will never book on that ship (others are the increased number of passengers, and the artificially higher prices).

I had no idea. Really appreciate the info as we really like the SS/SY cabins on the other newer ships. What a foolish decision!

They would better have two of these SS together as a larger Penthhouse Category of 800 sq ft.... instead of these two 400 sq ft SS class... and will feel very cramped. Apart from the walled up compartment.... if you have these as TWO beds they will be horrible.

Even better... to get the best value.... they should have been as SINGLES.... and have them as Neptune Suites. A lot of people would like to have Neptune Suites.... as singles. This way they would give singles excellent value.

Maybe we should wait and see what the cabins actually have available from passengers rather than bash the published lay-out. Now I appreciate the design schematics may be accurate but one never knows. until you walk in the door.

I agree. It's hard to believe that people are condemning a ship before the first passenger crosses the gangway!

Regarding "artificially high prices", they are a result of supply and demand. The "latest and greatest" almost always costs more initially. I've already seen the K'dam prices come in line with the other HAL ships sailing the Caribbean February, 2017.

I was also surprised by the design of the SS cabin. It certainly does look cramped.

We have a balcony cabin booked on the King. We compared prices and while I would agree that HAL is charging higher fares for bookings on the new ship, the overall fare was much lower than their competition.

You all need to look at the "Sticky" about the "new refurbishment " that will go on with the other ships, too. The new colors, etc. are great...BUT...look at the floorplans that are going to go with them, along with the photo of the Konigsdam SS photo. There is no way that these "upgrades" will be good for the ships. To hide you away at a desk with "that wall" is stupid. Who wants the view to be just from the bed during the day...I use that desk a LOT in the SS and do not want to hide in a hole.

It certainly will change our sailing habits once they do that...wouldn't bother to get higher cabins.

I'm not sure how much I would trust those graphics. They are just "renderings". After reading this thread I went and looked for myself and they do look different. However, if you look at the "renderings" of the SS staterooms on the Vista and Signature class they don't match the actual layout either. Look at the rendering and then look at the 360 "virtual tour" and they don't look at all alike. Maybe it's best if we wait to see a "virtual tour" picture instead of a graphic artist rendering.

Maybe we should wait and see what the cabins actually have available from passengers rather than bash the published lay-out. Now I appreciate the design schematics may be accurate but one never knows. until you walk in the door.

I agree as well. Seems very premature until the ship is actually afloat. Things change, or they may not be what is drawn up.

We haven't booked the Koningsdam -- yet.

We are waiting to read about the ship and see the actual pictures before we make a decision as to whether or not we will sail on her.

I am also waiting to hear comments from CC'ers after they actually sail the ship. :)

I really like Topsham's suggestion about making the SS cabins Solo Neptune Suites. That could really appeal to me.

Having sailed so many times in Neptunes with my late DH, I am not sure how happy I would be staying alone in that same cabin. To have a Neptune with different layout would be a great idea for me to try.

Edited by sail7seas

Just bad design IMHO.

You are so right!

That is why instead of booking HAL we are doing Viking Ocean in 2017.

We love HAL, but felt the design was weird with the SS suites. I will wait for a lot of our CCers for their reviews from the cruise before we actually decide if we say no in the future.

Denise:)

I'm not sure how much I would trust those graphics. They are just "renderings". After reading this thread I went and looked for myself and they do look different. However, if you look at the "renderings" of the SS staterooms on the Vista and Signature class they don't match the actual layout either. Look at the rendering and then look at the 360 "virtual tour" and they don't look at all alike. Maybe it's best if we wait to see a "virtual tour" picture instead of a graphic artist rendering.

Really awful layout for one or two. The walled off area is where the murphy bed is hidden. Privacy for three people was a trade-off paid for by sacrificing any kind of more usable layout for one or two people.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

Really awful layout for one or two. The walled off area is where the murphy bed is hidden. Privacy for three people was a trade-off paid for by sacrificing any kind of more usable layout for one or two people.

Good point, and as you say the majority of SS cabin bookers are a couple. The foldout couch is a tried and true system for three. A full couch is a must for that cabin category.

I always liked the desk in the window, and the bed to be back in the room to leave living space near the verandah doors.

I guess we will see once the ship is out.

Edited by jpelleti007

HAL's offerings for triples and quads have been slim on the other ships in the fleet. My days of booking a quad are coming to an end, but the layout would have been very appealing a couple of years ago. Who knows, as my youngest child continues to cruise with me for the next few years, we may book one of those cabins for the privacy.

Just bad design IMHO.

The whole thing is tiny. I printed the deck plan, and the whole room can be covered by sunflower seed. ;)

In defense of the windowless desk though - I do a fair bit of work while I'm on a cruise and I have to close the drapes every time. The computer screen gets washed out by the sunlight if I don't. The window might be great for writing post cards longhand, or writing in your Moleskine journal, but it's a hindrance if you are working on a tablet or a big boy computer. The same might be true of the make up table. "Putting on your face" in bright sunlight for a formal (strike that) festive (try again) gala evening (Yeah, that's the ticket!) night seems like it might end poorly. (Cue "Thunder and Blazes.")

IZp2WGbva44

I think that the Koningsdam definitely went light on the number of SS cabins. They seem to be steering people toward the "Vista Suite" or enhanced balcony rooms. It's a shame, because we tried an SS after well over a decade in Neptune Suites. (This was on the Nieuw Amsterdam about a year ago.) The Vista and Pinnacle class SS staterooms are a really nice product, probably doubly so if you are 4*+. (We were 3 star at the time.)

Realistically, we're so far out from the launch that it seems silly to worry about the room configurations now. At this point, there's only one realistic concern: Are they keeping those horribly uncomfortable Lido pool bar stools?

fish-butt-stools1.jpg

Edited by POA1

At this point, there's only one realistic concern: Are they keeping those horribly uncomfortable Lido pool bar stools?

fish-butt-stools1.jpg

According to the still (opting not to play the video) it appears they are gone

http://koningsdam.hollandamerica.com/activity/lido-pool-1

Seems the stools at the bar are similar to what we see close up in this still of "Gelato"

http://koningsdam.hollandamerica.com/uploads/culinary/KO_Culinary_Gelato.jpg

In defense of the windowless desk though - I do a fair bit of work while I'm on a cruise and I have to close the drapes every time. The computer screen gets washed out by the sunlight if I don't. The window might be great for writing post cards longhand, or writing in your Moleskine journal, but it's a hindrance if you are working on a tablet or a big boy computer.

Why don't you just admit that you easily get distracted looking out the window and at the ocean and then forget about what you were doing? :D

Edited by Boytjie

Why don't you just admit that you easily get distracted looking out the window and at the ocean and then forget about what you were doing? :D

I don't know what you're talking about.... Oooh! Shiny object!

xrAIGLkSMls