Eclipse - Our recent experience

WALKER1313

NOT SO GREAT...

Shows - TOPPER - Eclectic group of performers enslaved in a giant hat. "Is it wrong for me to keep people locked up in a hat for my amusement" Yes it is. 3 Stars- mainly because of familiar songs.

CHANDELIER - Ugh Eclectic group of people visit hotel, Chandelier decides who lives or dies??? no good illusion, bad story line, not Audrey II (or not Audrey Jr, if you prefer) not saved even with familiar songs and it is not even as fun as Chandelier the drinking game - 1 Star.

ROCK - Stadium Anthem Rock all Broadway'd up. - Angus Young is rolling over in his grave- and he isn't even dead. 2 Stars - six singers can really hack up great songs.

Captain's Club Host - No energy, pleasant but no effort to go for it., she seemed to be doing the minimum necessary to get the job done, more worried about time off than performing well. I give her a little break, as she has been on the job for only a couple months. (Customer Service convert) Don't see her lasting in this position.

Cafe El Bacio - Service was poor. The staff basically ignored the customers at the tables. Slow. But the treats available were outstanding as always.

Wasn't impressed with the Captain or other senior officers.

The elegant tea wasn't elegant. - Who's fault? (CC host ?, Maitre 'd?)

GOOD/GREAT

The ship looks top notch. Clean, well maintained...

Guest entertainers were quite enjoyable. -

December '63 figured out how to get the quartet back on a ship - Frankie Valli tribute group.

Music volumes in all venues were appropriate.

Murano, Qsine were fantastic as always. Didn't go to Tuscan Grill other than for the Elite Breakfast but others were raving about it. Only issue was that we purchased Murano for $20 each twice and BOGO once during the cruise.

Cruise director - Rich Spacey was humorous and apparently efficient.

Buffet had a good variety of offerings - all prepared well.

MDR - We didn't have a bad meal. We really don't like the two part menu.(starters and main course) This has become the norm with most cruise lines, but we still try to order 3 courses. Only MDR issue was (we had select dining) that we got stuck at a table for two back in the back of the dining room. They tried seating us there again, but no...

Top Chef was packed. Get there early.

Celebrity life speakers were a mystery writer and a former White house employee. Okay

The "games" by the activity staff were fun though we weren't contestants.

The small shows by the entertainment singers/dancers were better than the main stage shows.

MUTS was a joke. My home TV is larger.

Only a few games at the lawn.

Thanks for the details! Let me throw a couple more at you... Top Chef I thought was only on Reflection. What do they do on the Eclipse?

Also, what lawn games did they do? Bocce only?

Thanks again,

Thanks Not really concerned. Any day on a cruise is a GREAT day

Normally I would agree. But we stepped off the Eclipse to a 4night Carnival cruise. (Long story). First time in 20 years, last time for 40 years more. Still a little foggy.

Sorry to disagree with original contributor but we were on Eclipse in October. Fabulous in all departments, including shows, food, service in all areas. Entertainment will always be personal choice but at the end of the day, not everyone will enjoy everything but it doesn't mean it's any less good

Thanks for the review, really enjoyed Richard Spacey on RCCL ships. Can you still get specialty coffees and Igloo's @ Café l Baccio using Classic Drink plan or has that changed?

Glad the music has quieted down, it was TOO LOUD!!! Did you go to Sunset Bar, used to be our fav place after dinner.... Thanks for answers!

At the Pool area with a "large" TV screen.

It looks like we were on the cruise before you. We did not notice any TV screen at the pool, but I have to say we spent very little time there, mostly just passing through. Maybe they installed it in Miami.

As for the shows, I totally agree with you. We don't go much to the shows unless it is a solo performance of some kind. However, we had heard quite a bit about new shows, so we did go to Top Hat and Chandelier. I liked some of the songs too, but I just couldn't get the point of either story. If the chandelier was supposed to get rid of the people at the end of the show, why did they not have them stand on that part of the stage that lowers and have them disappear? I just couldn't understand much of that show. Liked all the colors though!!

We had a violinist also and we were looking forward to that show. Well, it turned out to be some kind of rap. Really, I don't know what she was trying to accomplish with flying hair and all sorts of cavorting on the stage while she played. She probably was a great violinist but I felt the way she played was an insult to the violin. We endured about 10 minutes of the show, then left, as did the people beside us and in front of us!

We found the food very good in the MDR. Our meals were made special by a waiter we had on Equinox in 2011. He recognized us the first day in the buffet. So, we asked for him (Select) and got him every night. He's an amazing waiter and very funny.

I agree with you also about the Captains Club Hostess. It seemed an effort for her to greet people. Maybe she was shy but I think she needs to either get a lot better or find another position. She seemed to have no life.

Yes, service was slow in Cafe al Baccio.

However, we still really enjoyed ourselves and we hope to continue cruising with Celebrity if they keep the prices reasonable and stop cutting things.

MDR - We didn't have a bad meal.

Celebrity life speakers were a mystery writer and a former White house employee. Okay

The "games" by the activity staff were fun though we weren't contestants.

The small shows by the entertainment singers/dancers were better than the main stage shows.

MUTS was a joke. My home TV is larger.

We were probably on the same cruise. Unit food cost (i.e. cost per meal) in the MDR has been reduced to $18, according to one of the supervisory MDR staff. This is in order to redirect funds to Blu, Luminae, and the specialty restaurants. Entree items included meatloaf, fried chicken, mac and cheese, and yes, pork and beans (regardless of how fancy you name it). This was the first cruise when either I or one of my table mates, had to send back food that was inedible, and this happened several times. The Oceanview Cafe was better.

I agree about the entertainment. The production numbers were well done, and the aerial dancers very good, but the story lines were vague and the music unrecognizable. We spoke with one couple who like rock music and who had been looking forward to "Rock City", but didn't enjoy it because they didn't know any of the music. The venues for the small shows given by the guest artists and entertainers were too small and very congested. Same thing for the "games" by the activities staff - too small a venue. Maarten the Asst. Cruise Director did a good job, 'tho.

Didn't bother to go up to MUTS as we could watch the same movie in the comfort of our cabin, and whatever they rigged up wouldn't compare to Princess.