Linen Shortage

BigTimeCruiser

We were surprised to find out that there is a shortage of bed linens on the Crown Princess. Not every storeroom is getting their linen changed during the week. Also , some cabin attendants have told us that even on turn around day they are short linens. We will attempt to speak with senior officers tonight about this disturbing change.

We had that situation with washcloths, and, to a lesser extent hand towels last winter on the Caribbean Princess. I had never heard of such a thing before. Our steward was waiting until nearly 10pm some nights to get washcloths to place in cabins even though he had serviced them for the evening hours earlier.

One stateroom attendant told us that they are having to decide who gets clean sheets on turn around day and who does not.

If any stateroom attendant told me that, I would be at passenger services in a heartbeat insisting on talking to the hotel manager.

Having walked the halls on more than one B2B when every stateroom door is open the first thing you see are stripped beds so I find that comment hard to believe. Not to mention the understandable uproar that would be caused by new passengers being confronted with dirty sheets and duvet covers. That's the kind of issue that no amount of public relations or goodwill gifts could overcome.

Edited by capriccio

One stateroom attendant told us that they are having to decide who gets clean sheets on turn around day and who does not.

Did you, by chance, mean that perhaps a back to back cruiser might not get clean sheets on turn around day, or (surely not!!!) a new occupant of a cabin might have the previous cruisers sheets remain on the bed? The latter would be ridiculous, not to mention disgusting.

Hi All

Seems odd, slow service may be, :(but as to quantity, always have something like 150% in stock, :)

any visit to laundry and they tell you they have silly quantities of linen on board.

As to new passengers getting used sheets :eek:,

Mutiny afoot.

yours Shogun

On the Crown in November there were no pool towels in the room. We had never seen this before and wondered if it is a new policy. You had to go the Lido deck and get them from the bins. Of course they were usually empty as the towels were all in service saving loungers. In the end we started taking any we were able to get back to the room for another day.

You may not believe this, but one storeroom attendant who we have known for years and has 20+ years with Princess has confirmed the Linen situation.

Actually, I don't believe it - it would be a public relations nightmare for Princess if proven true, and probably contravenes several health care regulations to boot !

...VTX-Al

We were surprised to find out that there is a shortage of bed linens on the Crown Princess. Not every storeroom is getting their linen changed during the week. Also , some cabin attendants have told us that even on turn around day they are short linens. We will attempt to speak with senior officers tonight about this disturbing change.

I am hoping you are able to post the response you receive from the senior officers. I am always monitoring how long it takes the steward to hang a clean shower curtain after I board and ask him. Now I have to worry about the sheets. Wow.

Most of us cruise to relax and leave the worries at home. Now we have to stress about the sheets. Wondering if its worth it.

Pam

I would tend to take the statement of failure to change linen on turn around day with a very few grains of salt.

This may be a short term problem, caused by an unexpected loss of stock. I remember when we were running short of dinner napkins, and the HD told me that they had just received a new stock of napkins, but that they were becoming "rotten" and tearing within a couple of weeks. He was blaming the washing machines, so we checked their programming, and got the representative of the laundry chemical company down to check their equipment and discuss the problem.

Because most ships use the condensation from the A/C units for the laundry, the water tends to have trace amounts of copper in it from the cooler coils. When used in a washer on hot setting, with bleach, for whites, this turns the copper green and stains the linens the same. So, the machines are programmed to meter a small amount of acid into the machines when on "whites" cycle to counteract the copper.

Well, the laundry supervisor didn't feel that the machines were adding enough acid, so rather than asking the engineers or the chemical rep to adjust the metering, she was just bunging a cupful of acid into each white load. This acid was eating the cloth fibers, causing the napkins (as only the first indicator of the problem, it eventually showed up in all linens) to rot out. It took a few weeks to get enough stock out to the ship to fully build the inventory back up to where it was, which meant the laundry was working overtime to catch up.

Yuck! So far every Princess cruise that I have taken has had a bag with fresh bed linens that shows up under the beds towards the end of the cruise. I'm assuming for a quick turn around of the cabin. Was on the Crown in March and will be on back her in 2 weeks. Hopefully the shortage is not the case.

Edited by 737binhog

Well that explains the hairs on our sheets on Embarkation day on our cruise last April and the mascara stains on the duvet on our cruise a couple of weeks ago on the Crown.

That is definitely not acceptable - what was the explanation when you complained? I would have taken this complaint to the Hotel Manager and then all the way up to customer service at headquarters -- and it is especially easy to do now since almost everyone can take pictures for documentation.

That is definitely not acceptable - what was the explanation when you complained? I would have taken this complaint to the Hotel Manager and then all the way up to customer service at headquarters -- and it is especially easy to do now since almost everyone can take pictures for documentation.

When we saw the hairs, I asked the steward to please change the sheets. He said the hairs get stuck on the sheets in the dryer. What? Really?

I told him I didn't care how they got there but to please just change them.

When I noticed the duvet cover with mascara on it towards the edge where your face is, I left a note for the steward to please change it and he did.

Since it was taken care of in both cases, I didn't escalate to the hotel manager, however I did note it on both survey's when I got home.