Even cheaper than 3rd-world staff paid below minimum wage

voyageur9

Carnival to replace staff with 'humanoid' robots (not kidding)

Costa is first. Will HAL be next.

Here's the announcement from Carnival.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2122617

And here's the 'Pepper' robots soon to be answering your questions and (maybe) cleaning your room.

https://www.aldebaran.com/en/a-robots/who-is-pepper

Bet robots turn out to be even cheaper than paying people from the developing world far less than minimum wage through intermediary 'labor' companies.

I think it's awesome! I'm sure it will be optional to use them, and that you can still talk to a real person if you want to.

And if you think these are cheaper than "3rd-world staff" then you obviously have never built and maintained a robot!

Sherry - FRC 1318 Robotics Mentor

Have you actually seen Pepper? This will be one of those times when you'll be glad that Holland America isn't on the cutting edge of technology.

A-2IVBIpnng

You can find a lot more Pepper videos on YouTube, but most are in Japanese.

Cuts down on the extra tipping I suppose.

Other than that, what will the robot do for me? Can he open my door and put the door stop in place when I return to the cabin? Then the reverse when I leave?

Can he fetch a lounge pad and a couple of blankets when I'm sitting on the promenade? Oh, and a towel for my back?

Will he carry my plates of food in the Lido?

Will he make me laugh? And engage with me?

Didn't think so. :rolleyes:

"17 joints for graceful movements" - that's a killer! Can you imagine what it would cost to put a bunch of these onboard a cruise ship? Prices are going to have to skyrocket to accommodate the price of these robots. Sorry, these Peppers.

I can't wait to see Pepper try to help DH tie his bow tie on formal (gala) nights. LOL Oh, another thing - are they male or female? I don't want to ask a male Pepper to help do up the zipper on my dress when DH is already in the lounge waiting for me and I can't reach the zip!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

WOW!! I am 77 & I think Pepper is a awesome addition to make life more enjoyable & easier :D. Can't wait until I can buy one . :p:p:p

You can order one for about $1,800 plus around $389 per month for maintenance and data on a 3 year contract. For that money, I'd lease a reliable car and make friends the old fashioned way.

The robotic bartenders on a competitive line is one thing but they have got to be kidding! Just what I want - talk to a robot - NOT.

Wish they would spend the money on better customer service people - now if they used robots there who actually had the correct answer to an enquiry - bingo and bonanza!

The robotic bartenders on a competitive line is one thing but they have got to be kidding! Just what I want - talk to a robot - NOT.

Wish they would spend the money on better customer service people - now if they used robots there who actually had the correct answer to an enquiry - bingo and bonanza!

They would have to train them to give three different answers to the same question.:D