Door Magnets

my3sonsnj

I would love to decorate my stateroom door with magnets and was surprised that the Cruise Critic store doesn't have any.

Where do most people get their magnets?

Has anyone come across cruise/vacation themed magnets sets in fun shapes to decorate doors? I've just been finding standard square/rectangle or round/oval individual magnets.

Thanks so much!

http://www.cafepress.com/+cruise+magnets

http://www.zazzle.com/cruise+magnets

I don't know what line you are cruising on but Disney has lots of these that have to do with the whole Fish Extender thing.

BTW, often if you decorate your door, someone will take it and put it on someone else's door. Don't know why, but some people apparently have no self control or consideration for others. You might also think about pirate themed or beach themed paper decorations.

I would love to decorate my stateroom door with magnets and was surprised that the Cruise Critic store doesn't have any.

Where do most people get their magnets?

Has anyone come across cruise/vacation themed magnets sets in fun shapes to decorate doors? I've just been finding standard square/rectangle or round/oval individual magnets.

Thanks so much!

Not all cabin doors are metal, so you might be better off decorating your door with something other than magnets. Also, don't use anything that you can't afford to lose or don't want to lose. Sometimes door decorations are stolen or destroyed.

Not all cabin doors are metal, so you might be better off decorating your door with something other than magnets...

That's true but some tape leaves a film behind. I have seen so much residue on the cabin ceilings and on the walls and doors because people use tape. Some lines don't even permit tape now.

We save the magnets that we've bought on past cruises (some people buy jewelry, we buy magnets:)) for in-cabin use (some have magnetic walls) and use old ones (magnetic symbols and letters from when our kid was little) for the door to hold up signs. If you use something else, consider the tacky stuff that dorms allowed (I think it's called Command brand) -- doesn't ruin walls or door surfaces.

I like having a sign on my cabin door as it helps me see which one is ours at a glance without having to check the numbers.

I've never "decorated" my door on a ship, or in a hotel...how did this practice even get started?

I'm curious if this is something that came from Disney? They have the Fish Extender thing. I had never heard of decorating doors until several years after I heard bout the Fish Extender. It may be a coincidence, but it is puzzling.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

And for those that wonder "why", there can be any number of reasons for wanting to distinguish a stateroom door such as dyslexia, failing memory, confusion due to the long hallways where all the doors look the same, etc. Getting back to the right stateroom should not cause stress during a vacation ;)

And for those that wonder "why", there can be any number of reasons for wanting to distinguish a stateroom door such as dyslexia, failing memory, confusion due to the long hallways where all the doors look the same, etc. Getting back to the right stateroom should not cause stress during a vacation ;)

Except for the balloons we have occasionally put on our doors (for the kid's birthdays) we don't do it either. However, this next cruise I bought car door magnets that I will be putting on the door. We are taking my 11 YO grandson and my 9 YO granddaughter. She is borderline autistic and letting her spread her wings is necessary.

Being autistic she can only remember so many directions. I plan on giving her the freedom to sign in and out of the kids program. She can do all of that just fine. Her issues will be when she gets to the deck, turns down the correct hallway but can't remember which identical door is hers. So, I've made a picture for the door. She gets confidence and freedom. Cheap at half the price.

I have never been able to figure out why people wrapping paper their door though.

People wit problems such as that I can see a need, but I do winder if that's the predominant reason.

A number of years ago I got a Support our Troops ribbon magnet from a co-worker, whose son was an Army Ranger. A few times I'd thought about taking that magnet along on cruises to affix to my cabin door. I was always worried that someone would steal it, so I've always left it at home.

People wit problems such as that I can see a need, but I do winder if that's the predominant reason.

Just feel like it, I do get some funny comments on my board. Sometimes a little back and forth over football

That's true but some tape leaves a film behind. I have seen so much residue on the cabin ceilings and on the walls and doors because people use tape. Some lines don't even permit tape now.

Don't use tape. That's a huge "no-no" on most (if not all) cruise lines. The two most common things to use are Command Strips or Fun Tack (aka poster putty). Those don't leave any residue and won't harm painted surfaces.

I've heard about people who decorated their door for their honeymoon and people would knock on their door early in the morning. People do tend to take the decorations and move them to other doors or kids might just take off with them altogether.

Don't use tape. That's a huge "no-no" on most (if not all) cruise lines. The two most common things to use are Command Strips or Fun Tack (aka poster putty). Those don't leave any residue and won't harm painted surfaces.

Not sure why you quoted me - perhaps just to agree with me but just to clarify, we do not use tape, ever. We don't decorate the cabin. :)

Please don't put anything on your cabin door that you would be sad about never seeing again.

I was recently on a 28 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise and for the first time I decorated my door.

After visiting Hawaii, I put up the Hawaii Lei beads that they give you (free) at Hilo Hatti's along with a couple cheap (New Year type) lei's. They were taken!

I can't figure out why someone, who can obviously afford a 28 day cruise, needed to take my door decorations.....

I don't think it was kids, since there were only about 6 kids on this cruise.

I totally agree with the above statement. Don't put anything on your cabin door that you would be sad about never seeing again.