Jumping ship to MCS due to price

urc12

I didn't really get that. I figured Diamond + would be Black, Diamond would be Gold. I hope someone shares what they actually received. Thanks!

Read this post.....

When I found out about the MSC status match I went and signed up for the black card.

We made diamond on RCI a few cruises ago in 2007 and don't see ourselves ever making Diamond Plus (besides there is no real benefit).

And now even Diamond status is nearly worthless with Royal Caribbean's new pricing and their refusal to combine both the $300 obc (which everyone gets) with the diamond discount.

I sent in all information a week ago (12/16/15) web page said they would respond back in 2-3 days. It is now a week later and I have not heard a thing. I'm D+.

I just used the online form also, and I am waiting for the reply from MSC.

Question for those who have been successful in getting the level match confirmation: Did you just complete the online form, or did you have to call MSC?

Years ago (2009) we sailed the MSC Orchestra Western Caribbean. Found a FANTASTIC package for an outside room - $279 for the week!!! We jumped at it.

We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. It was quite different than any of the American lines we had been on. As far as the entertainment - comedy was bawdy, opera was sung, productions were great. We were able to purchase "drink packages" - a coupon book of drinks, wine or beer. Very cheap. They always seemed to have parties - with real drinks!! Food was hit or miss. Some nights it was fantastic - loved that they served pasta and risotto. Some nights my steak was great and my DH had shoe leather. The crew was terrific. Loved the Italian officers. The ship was beautiful. My only complaint were the lounge chairs by the pool - terribly uncomfortable. Didn't mind all the multi-lingual announcements.

I would sail them again in a heart beat. Will probably do so soon.

I just used the online form also, and I am waiting for the reply from MSC.

Question for those who have been successful in getting the level match confirmation: Did you just complete the online form, or did you have to call MSC?

Used the online form. Got an email 3 days later with PDF's of my cards and member numbers.

RCCL is by any means gourmet cruise line... MSC in our opinion is a bit weaker. Especially if you are steak lover... Steaks are really weak.

Gourmet? I was on the Allure a few weeks ago and the MDR was the only good dining option that was not an "upcharge". Far, FAR from a gourmet dining ship. If this is what you regular cruisers consider "gourmet", you need to try some All Inclusive AI trips.

We ran the numbers and our 10 day stay at El Dorado Royale Gourmet All inclusive resort (Riviera Maya, MX) was the same price as our cruise!

We want to love cruising, but it is a struggle. We enjoyed our cruise but the AI wins by far dollar for dollar.

Gourmet? I was on the Allure a few weeks ago and the MDR was the only good dining option that was not an "upcharge". Far, FAR from a gourmet dining ship. If this is what you regular cruisers consider "gourmet", you need to try some All Inclusive AI trips.

We ran the numbers and our 10 day stay at El Dorado Royale Gourmet All inclusive resort (Riviera Maya, MX) was the same price as our cruise!

We want to love cruising, but it is a struggle. We enjoyed our cruise but the AI wins by far dollar for dollar.

I meant not a gourmet line :)

I missed "not".

By the way RCCL has different quality on different ships. Brilliance had way better food than larger ships.

Celebrity, Holland and Princess (for the most part) have better quality of food than RCCL.

We went to AIs. They all have different quality of food. We liked Iberostars, but I don't think it is a gourmet. You really cannot prepare such amounts of gourmet food. Not possible. :)

Edited by Tatka

I sent in all information a week ago (12/16/15) web page said they would respond back in 2-3 days. It is now a week later and I have not heard a thing. I'm D+.

I signed up on the 19th as well, and have not received anything yet.

I signed up on the 18th and yes, after the form was submitted the message said 2-3 days. (Thanks for confirming that, I was thinking maybe I was mistaken at it said weeks.) However, I called over the weekend because I am anxious to book the Seaside which is only available to Voyager club members until next Tuesday. The agent personally spoke to a person in charge in the status match department and said that they've received an overwhelming response and even with the additional staff they've added, they can't guarantee that time frame. I asked if she knew at all of a time frame and she said she was instructed not to give one because they have no idea when they will get to them.

I have a thread going now about matching my RCI diamond status to MSC.

Within 2 days they gave me black card (highest tier) status and also applied a members 5% discount to my booking. If you haven't matched your status yet, and some report long waits and issues, what I suggest (and was told to me by MSC to do) is to create a Voyagers club number with MSC. THEN submit your match information. This supposedly makes the process much faster.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

I'm looking forward to it. Whatever someone did or didn't like I won't dwell on before going. I know it will be different somewhat, that is what I look forward to.

Want to trade an inside with a baby for your YC? :)

Thanks for the tip. We submitted one request for Diamond match but it has been months since we did. I will try creating the Voyager Club profile first and then submitting the match to see if that speeds things along.

I signed up on the 18th and yes, after the form was submitted the message said 2-3 days. (Thanks for confirming that, I was thinking maybe I was mistaken at it said weeks.) However, I called over the weekend because I am anxious to book the Seaside which is only available to Voyager club members until next Tuesday. The agent personally spoke to a person in charge in the status match department and said that they've received an overwhelming response and even with the additional staff they've added, they can't guarantee that time frame. I asked if she knew at all of a time frame and she said she was instructed not to give one because they have no idea when they will get to them.

I have much more respect for a reply like that rather than making a commitment that they can't keep.

....due to the Cruise Critic effect?:cool:

That's how I learned about it...so probably!

I have much more respect for a reply like that rather than making a commitment that they can't keep.

I'm glad for honesty too, although I was hoping she could do it for me so I could book the new ship. Alas, I'll wait until general bookings open and hopefully be able to call and add the 5% when I get the black card.

That's how I learned about it...so probably!

I'm glad for honesty too, although I was hoping she could do it for me so I could book the new ship. Alas, I'll wait until general bookings open and hopefully be able to call and add the 5% when I get the black card.

I spoke to an agent named Ellie Vidal who was exceptionally helpful. She went into the system and manually expedited everything. It was just luck that I had reached her by calling the main number, but when I called back with a question I asked for her by name and was able to speak to her again. She was able to go back in and add (well, subtract!) the 5% from my booking.

I spoke to an agent named Ellie Vidal who was exceptionally helpful. She went into the system and manually expedited everything. It was just luck that I had reached her by calling the main number, but when I called back with a question I asked for her by name and was able to speak to her again. She was able to go back in and add (well, subtract!) the 5% from my booking.

Good to know that they can do that! The lady I spoke to, forget her name, was nice but not very helpful. Now it's so close to the date next week and with the holidays, I'm thinking I'll just wait and then call for the 5%.

Thanks for the info...you were lucky!

We jumped ship too, MSC Davina for June 2016. BOGO balcony, 10% military veteran discount, 5% discount Black level due to Diamond recognition. Kids cruise free. and the drink packages are much less.

RCCL and X have soured us with pricing and ship choices in certain ports. but more on pricing and nickle/dime fees all over. We can't wait to try a new line.

I have a thread going now about matching my RCI diamond status to MSC.

Within 2 days they gave me black card (highest tier) status and also applied a members 5% discount to my booking. If you haven't matched your status yet, and some report long waits and issues, what I suggest (and was told to me by MSC to do) is to create a Voyagers club number with MSC. THEN submit your match information. This supposedly makes the process much faster.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

I'm looking forward to it. Whatever someone did or didn't like I won't dwell on before going. I know it will be different somewhat, that is what I look forward to.

Want to trade an inside with a baby for your YC? :)

Thanks for the info on the MSC matching program - we are D+ on RCL and Elite on Celebrity so it will definitely be worth it for us to do this.

BTW we have sailed the Divina twice - once in the Caribbean and once on a 'grand voyage' (TA). There were not a huge European passenger base on the Caribbean cruise but there was on the TA which made sense since we were sailing to Europe.

Marianne

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoy MSC! I got off them in December and had a fantastic time. €26/person/day for unlimited drinks was amazing compared to RCCL's $67, and a la carte pricing is much more reasonable too.

Do NOT go in expecting an RCCL/Celebrity clientele (it's international), MDR (menus are tailored differently), or ship nightlife (lots of dancing). No "Broadway at Sea" but the shows were very good.

I'm going on the Divina in May. $1355.00 for 2 on a fantastica balcony. I'm also booked on the Seaside, a brand new ship in May,2018 in a 2 room suite for $2639,00. This is not a misprint. I have booked the Harmony for Feb, 2017, and paid almost $2900.00 for a balcony.Hoping for a price drop, but I doubt it.The ship intrigues me though. The pricing difference is amazing.

I'm intrigued by this thread, so I took a look at March 2017 sailings out of Miami. The weeks that are most commonly spring breaks are $1,399 pp for a balcony. If you go 2 weeks later, where fewer schools have spring breaks, the price is $700 pp for a balcony.

To me, it looks like the swing between peak and non-peak weeks is greater with MSC, making it more attractive for those that can cruise at any time. That's awesome for those who can take advantage of it. Personally, it doesn't help me since my wife works in the schools, but I'm happy for those who can jump on these.

We have looked at MSC but after a travel agent friend of ours took an MSC cruise she said it was the first time she couldn't wait for a cruise to be over. I don't know the particulars that sent her over the edge but it made us nervous. I will be very interested to hear your experience! Always nice to have options. We did try HAL, not for us! Never went back or considered going back. Trying Celebrity in March but they,too, are getting pricey so open-minded about choices. Haven't been on NCL since the 70's but might give it a try.