Jumping ship to MCS due to price

urc12

Two years ago while on a Royal Caribbean cruise, I saw the MSC Davina sail into port. We all said, "We need to sail on that ship!" None of us knew anything about the line, but after doing research, our family decided to book with MSC next year. This line's pricing structure is excellent and is one of the reasons we're sailing with them. Even considering the Diamond benefits we receive on Royal Caribbean, MSC's prices are far superior in every category of staterooms. MSC's drink prices and options simply cannot be beaten. While we will miss the promenades on the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships, it's time to make a change and enjoy a new experience. We booked as a group and the MSC agent we deal with couldn't have been better. He even assisted in completing all of our status matches during the booking process. With the new MSC Seaside coming on line in 2017, I suspect that MSC may become our cruise line of choice for the next several years.

We looked into sailings for next summer a couple of weeks ago. We are considering MSC, as kids sail "almost" free. We have sailed Costa to the Caribbean and the languages did not bother us at all. There were indeed many more Europeans on the ship, but we enjoyed it.

Thanks for your post, OP. The reason we looked at MSC a few weeks ago is the same reason you gave... RC prices are just getting too high for us. I would rather find lower prices and cruise 3x a year :D

The MSC model is very similar to NCL. Prices are low but there are a lot extra charge items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuinely interested in what they charge extra for, to help evaluate comparison. I don't usually require a lot of extras, so it may be worth it for me. Unless they're charging extra for towels, or desserts that are actually good. :D

The MSC model is very similar to NCL. Prices are low but there are a lot extra charge items.

Could you give examples of the MSC upcharge items? We are typically satisfied with the basic product and our onboard spending is usually minimal. It is one of our strict "cruise budget" rules so that we can cruise more often. :)

PS: Emory is 1 minute faster than I am in replying...

Edited by APDMOM
PS:

I would.be very surprised if the MSC deals lasted more than a year.

They're marketing themselves in a new market. Of course they're doing whatever it takes to attract customers.

I doubt they'll keep it that low once they have the passengers.

They've had ridiculous pricing on Divina since it came to the US market.

I just priced out a 7 day Divina cruise in May 2016. Balcony room for 2.

$1207. Minus 5% from fare with status match from other thread = 1157.

$1,157 for 7 days Caribbean cruise in a balcony stateroom.

Heck, on a budget? 981 gets you an inside on the same ship with an extra $25 OBC.

Same week. Freedom of Seas Balcony is $3035 for 2 (2835 with diamond discount) and an interior is 1862.

The situation gets crazier with kids.

got a couple of young kids? They'll sail free on MSC (they pay taxes and fees).

A Balcony for 4 on the Divina is $1415 (1365 with discount)

A Balcony for 4 on Freedom is $4378 ($4178 with diamond discount)

Is Royal Caribbean $2,800 better than MSC for a 7 day Caribbean cruise?

You could completely *give up* kids sail free discount and get two connecting balcony rooms on Divina and be about $1500 ahead of a single balcony room on Freedom. That's crazy. :eek::eek::eek:

Once word gets out on Seaside...

Diamond plus and have been on MSC x4. Both products have their pros and cons. MSC is European and attracts international travelers.

Divina is a beautiful ship. But I did miss the ice skating rink, promenade, speciality dining, towel animals, and other activities.

What I enjoy on MSC is the service and the ship, we love the YC.

I think the prices are here to stay, MSC has. New ship Seaside which we just booked, it looks awesome.

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I have been giving some thought to trying MSC. I need to read more about what RCI cruisers think when they give that line a try. I think I would very much enjoy being on a ship with more of a European flavor just as I enjoy the latin influence when we sail Adventure out of San Juan.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Genuinely interested in what they charge extra for, to help evaluate comparison. I don't usually require a lot of extras, so it may be worth it for me. Unless they're charging extra for towels, or desserts that are actually good. :D

No charge for towels, deserts at dinner and buffet free. They do charge for water in Europe but as an American you would get water coupons. Photos are about the same but are very different then rccl, no port photos, no cocktails for sale at shows.

The MSC model is very similar to NCL. Prices are low but there are a lot extra charge items. "

My thought, exactly, THERE HAS to BE SOME DIFFERENCES IN WHAT YOU GET.

However posts like this get me to thinking about trying other lines by choice. I did look at MSC and I think tried to apply for the complimentary level status promotion and it would not work, I emailed them and they said they had no idea why, maybe it was not the IT department.

I have/and love cultural experiences on land or sea, so we would not mind any ship and it's clientele LOL. We were on a Costa cruise with 2500 Europeans and only 40 Americans and survived with some fun tail(note spelling) to tell LOL

Please help me understand. What do you mean by the different clientele? I understand that it is much more of an American clientele on the Divina. Even if it has more of a European flavor, does that create an issue?

During my Divina cruise I noticed a complete change in demographic. I didn't ask to everyone where they were from but I can tell the ship has less American and Canadian. I saw more Hispanic and European in my sailing. Asian was not existent at all. The buffets are heavy on pasta and pizza but the MDR at night was delicious better food compared to royal. In my opinion service is lacking but hey you are saving almost 50% compared to royal so I didn't mind.

During my Divina cruise I noticed a complete change in demographic. I didn't ask to everyone where they were from but I can tell the ship has less American and Canadian. I saw more Hispanic and European in my sailing. Asian was not existent at all. The buffets are heavy on pasta and pizza but the MDR at night was delicious better food compared to royal. In my opinion service is lacking but hey you are saving almost 50% compared to royal so I didn't mind.

I know there've been making mass changes to become more in line with what Americans are use to and want.

For anyone who did the status match, how long did your confirmation take? I just submitted the request yesterday and I was hoping to receive the confirmation and book the new ship before it goes on sale to the general public.

Interestingly, I thought the note said 3-4 days or so after submission, but I called a customer service agent (anxious I know) and she said they were told to give no time estimates and it likely won't be before the end of the year.

We sailed with MSC twice on Poesia and Divina for different reasons although prices were super nice. We wanted to experience "Europe in Caribbeans". On Poesia it was more like that, on Divina it was much more americanized. You might want to read my essay from my signature about Poesia. Divina did not have Italian tenor and Sicilian guitar duo.

RCCL is by any means gourmet cruise line... MSC in our opinion is a bit weaker. Especially if you are steak lover... Steaks are really weak.

However they have wonderful nightly shows. Production shows were a blast. They could not have other types of entertainment in theater due to multilingual public, but it was great! Rooms are very cozy, service was nice too.

MSC has great entertainment by the pool too.

We also met many Europeans and have interesting conversations.

I would try this line. It is a bit different but worth trying.

For anyone who did the status match, how long did your confirmation take? I just submitted the request yesterday and I was hoping to receive the confirmation and book the new ship before it goes on sale to the general public.

Interestingly, I thought the note said 3-4 days or so after submission, but I called a customer service agent (anxious I know) and she said they were told to give no time estimates and it likely won't be before the end of the year.

You know MSC website is not that impressive or exciting so I knew the status match was goi h to be a big issue but I was wrong. In about 2 week I got an email confirming my new status.

They make a big deal about Nutella crepes' kiosk on pool deck. Gelato stands all over the place, you might pass 2 or 3?but by the time you see the 4th or 5th they've got you. A lot of this is very subjective everyone likes different things. They only way you'll know if they meet your needs us too try it.

I would.be very surprised if the MSC deals lasted more than a year.

They're marketing themselves in a new market. Of course they're doing whatever it takes to attract customers.

I doubt they'll keep it that low once they have the passengers.

Uh....they already have lasted for several years sailing out of Miami with the reduced fares.....so...........

I'm still wondering what extra charge items you are referring to. I have sailed NCL and our onboard account was similar to those of other ships. There were 4 complimentary restaurants, and others that were extra cost. This is no different from other ships I have sailed.