Softened butter

masterty

I have a friend....;)

We talked about, ports, ships, countries, things to do and food to eat. After all of that his only requirement should he ever cruise is.... butter that is soft. He does not like constantly having to ask a waiter for soft butter. I told him they will bring it however you want it. His question is more of a corporate policy.

Is there a single cruise company that uses only softened butter in its restaurants?

The pet peeves some have. :confused:

In the main dining room, if you establish a relationship with your waiter, he/she will make sure you get soft butter.

But as most cruise lines freeze the butter given to pax, the butter in the buffet and other restaurants will likely be harder.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It is so funny you write this as I do not agree with your friend.

We have a very close friend who was a Hotel Manager on HAL. Whenever we were on his ship, we dined with him. The stewards, on HAL ships, place a silver (color) 2 piece butter dish on every dining table. The lower level is supposed to be filled with ice to keep the upper layer, where the butter pats are placed, at a safely cold temperature.

Whenever we sat down at the table, he always lifted the top of the dish to see if the steward had placed ice to keep the butter chilled. :)

I don't want butter that has been sitting out, unchilled for possibly hours. I eat very little butter so really not an issue for me but your post made me smile.

It's all wrapped...hold it in your hand for about 2 mins...not a big deal!

No, it is not all wrapped.

A lovely dining table does not usually have wrapped butter pats. A starched white tablecloth, monogrammed silver plate flatware, stemmed goblets, Rosenthal China....... doesn't call for 'wrapped butter'.

See my above post.

I have a friend....;)

We talked about, ports, ships, countries, things to do and food to eat. After all of that his only requirement should he ever cruise is.... butter that is soft. He does not like constantly having to ask a waiter for soft butter. I told him they will bring it however you want it. His question is more of a corporate policy.

Is there a single cruise company that uses only softened butter in its restaurants?

The pet peeves some have. :confused:

he has to take it out of the container and warm it between his hands for the packets. the containers are iced to keep it cold. if they serve the unwrapped dollops he's gonna have to let it get to room temo on the bread plate.

irks me too.

no one serves room temp butter as a matter of corporate policy. it just gets that way due to timing

It is so funny you write this as I do not agree with your friend.

We have a very close friend who was a Hotel Manager on HAL. Whenever we were on his ship, we dined with him. The stewards, on HAL ships, place a silver (color) 2 piece butter dish on every dining table. The lower level is supposed to be filled with ice to keep the upper layer, where the butter pats are placed, at a safely cold temperature.

Whenever we sat down at the table, he always lifted the top of the dish to see if the steward had placed ice to keep the butter chilled. :)

I don't want butter that has been sitting out, unchilled for possibly hours. I eat very little butter so really not an issue for me but your post made me smile.

No, it is not all wrapped.

A lovely dining table does not usually have wrapped butter pats. A starched white tablecloth, monogrammed silver plate flatware, stemmed goblets, Rosenthal China....... doesn't call for 'wrapped butter'.

See my above post.

Exactly. Evidence: Rotterdam dining room on our Veendam cruise - butter in chilled holder in left center:

2s92d94.jpg

5. Butter: Refrigerate, or keep just a few days' worth on the counter

In agreement with USDA and FDA guidelines, most butter companies say to keep butter refrigerated. But, butter is mostly fat (usually about 80% fat), which makes it less attractive to bacteria than products with high water content. And many types of butter are made with pasteurized milk, which makes them even less prone to bacterial growth, says Organic Authority.

Keeping butter in an airtight container like a crock makes butter last at room temperature longer (about 2 weeks), but when room temperature rises above 70° F, all butter should be refrigerated.

Salted and unsalted butter are not the same, however: Salt in salted butter makes it less susceptible to bacterial growth, so it should be fine out on the counter. Even so, salted butter will last only about a week before going rancid, according to John Bruhn at University of California, Davis, so it's best to keep out only what you'll use within a few days. On the other hand, unsalted butter is best refrigerated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/food-52/do-you-really-need-to-ref_b_7812628.html

ex techie

Exactly. Evidence: Rotterdam dining room on our Veendam cruise - butter in chilled holder in left center:

2s92d94.jpg

Beautiful table. Thanks for sharing the photo. That is what the table looks like each evening when we go to dinner in HAL'a MDR. A pleasure. :)

any ship I have been on the wrapped pats are in the buffet but dining room it is like the dish in the photo

we have also had it soft in a small dish maybe enough for the the table

At home I have a Butter Bell & it stays on the counter ..we use unsalted butter & it will keep for several days before going off

Edited by LHT28

The posts in this thread make me wonder how long people keep their butter out of refrigeration in their homes. Don't you worry about it spoiling?

My MiL in 50 plus years has never chilled the table butter for her morning toast/evening potatoes

Softened butter is not necessarily warm, it is usually butter that has been whipped, and is kept at the same temperature as the pats.

And while butter is not a "potentially hazardous food" as defined by the FDA and many states, whipped butter or margarine is and therefore must fall under the time and temperature rules of the USPH. Generally, while wrapped or hard pat butter may be reused after dinner service, whipped butter must be thrown out after 4 hours without refrigeration. Even the ice cooled butter dishes do not provide sufficient temperature control for whipped butter.

And so goes Dr. Seuss' "Great Butter Battle". :D

Butter can be left safely at room temperature up to 2 days. If it is covered or protected from oxygen, it will last longer. For this purpose a French butter crock is better than a butter dish. Butter is somewhere between 90% and 92% fat and the rest is milk proteins, lactose and residual water. The fat globules in butter generally protect it from growing the microbes that would cause food poisoning. Salted butter and also cultured butter have even more resistance to microbes. After two days, uncovered butter may become rancid. Rancidity is caused by exposure to oxygen. You can eat rancid butter and it won't make you sick, but it will taste awful. This is why it is important to keep the butter covered.

It's all wrapped...hold it in your hand for about 2 mins...not a big deal!

When I first joined the Navy I thought that all of my shipmates were very pious since they folded their hands before eating. Turns out they were just warming their butter:).

I would think they would keep the butter cold as a matter of policy for health reasons. The waiter may or may not be able to provide warmed butter on request.