Princess for Christmas

NOSaints1

My wife and I have been on two cruises which included over the Christmas period. One round trip out of Australia (which we did just for a different Christmas experience) and the other was overseas on the Golden Princess last year (2014). I wont comment on the menus.

Let me just say that having been on 2 Christmas cruises I would not do another Christmas cruise just for the experience of Christmas on board a ship. The orgaisation of Christmas activities/services etc is very much up to the Cruise Director and his/her attitude to Christmas. One of ours could not be faulted in any way while the other on the Golden Princess left a lot to be desired. I doubt that the Cruise Director even knew what Christmas was all about.:)

We are currently stopped in Mazatlan. Our cruise began in SF where we were treated to carolers in 19th century garb doing a caroling routine that could have come right out of Dickens. The voyage thus far has been exlemplary with the food, entertainment and general ambiance right on as far as we are concerned. There are 500 kids on the ship but, if you avoid the normal "kid zones", they really aren't a problem. We took some greif from the family for scheduling this but I have to say it has been one of the best travel decisions I have ever made. Princess seems to have Christmas well and truly nailed...

DW and I enjoyed Christmas on a cruise as long as it's for the right reasons, as one of the previous posters mentioned. We don't go on a cruise for the Christmas activities. We go to get away from the cold and snow, for someone else to cook a great Christmas dinner, and because it's usually just the 2 of us just to relax. We enjoy the ship being all decorated, including the great gingerbread house display that they build.

If you want to be somewhere for the Christmas spirit I would highly recommend Disney World, they just do it right.

But DW and I will definitely go on future cruises for Christmas.

We did a Christmas cruise with our young adult children last year--one week from Houston to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. It was absolutely fabulous and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. For me, it was well worth the cost to be able to get away to a warm climate for Christmas and to not have to do any Christmas shopping--the cruise was our gift to each other and to the kids.

I was concerned about there being hundred of kids on board, but we had no problem finding areas to hang out where the kids were not around.

Edited by GradUT

I've done 2 Princess Christmas cruises and 1 Celebrity Christmas cruise. Enjoyed them all. I was a little concerned about having that Christmas feeling on a ship in the Caribbean, but it was great and I'll be doing it again next year.

On Christmas day, Santa visits. Eggnog is available at breakfast. One of my favorite desserts on Princess is their Gingerbread souffle served with Christmas dinner.

The ship is decorated beautifully and Christmas songs play throughout the ship.

No one had to cook the meal. No one had to do the dishes. Priceless or at least worth the extra cost of cruising at Christmas.

I have done 2 Christmas cruises, both to Mexico.

The first one in 2002, was December 16th - 26th. I loved this one as we missed the entire Christmas chaos back home. It was magical. Loved the Christmas caroling, the decorations, the meal, the movies, the gingerbread decorating contest - ironically, due to the dates, there were almost no kids onboard.

I think my last one was Christmas and then a B2B for New Years in 2010. Much prefer Christmas to New Years. There were more kids on this one and they were all so well behaved and adorable. It was great to see them excited on the ship.

I would recommend sailing over Christmas.

We are just on our way home from a Regal Xmas. It was wonderful. Carols on Xmas Eve, egg nog, and Santa for the children on Xmas day. Dinner was special with Turkey and British Xmas Pudding...as I am English but live in the USA, i thought the beautiful ship was amazing this Xmas. Would do again in a heartbeat.

We have taken four cruises that included Christmas on Princess and three on other lines (RCI and Celebrity). Once DH retires from teaching at a community college next year, though, we'll have more options to take cruises other than during his break. While I enjoyed every Christmas cruise, I'd rather pay a lot less and have a cruise with fewer children on board. (Although the number of children was only a problem on our Sun Princess cruise. On the other ships, we were able to find quiet adults only places.)

On one Christmas cruise (Island Princess, Panama Canal cruise), the special menu was done on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure who decided that. It was a formal night after our day in Cartagena with an early departure (3 p.m.)

On one Christmas cruise (Island Princess, Panama Canal cruise), the special menu was done on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure who decided that. It was a formal night after our day in Cartagena with an early departure (3 p.m.)

On our Sun Princess cruise over Christmas, our special meal was on the 24th also. Then on the 25th, they had a special lunch. I think they did this for us as we disembarked on the 26th and couldn't dress up for dinner on the 25th.

We have lucked out price was. On the Sun Princess cruise, it was 2002 and people were still not traveling after 9-11 and booked it after Thanksgiving. We paid $700 pp for a 10 night Mexican cruise (inside). In 2010, we booked it but had quite a few price reductions so it was $999 for a mini suite for both Christmas and New Years weeks which was pretty much the going rate for a mini suite on a 7 night cruise. I think Mexico was not that popular that year so it worked out.

On our Sun Princess cruise over Christmas, our special meal was on the 24th also. Then on the 25th, they had a special lunch. I think they did this for us as we disembarked on the 26th and couldn't dress up for dinner on the 25th.

We have lucked out price was. On the Sun Princess cruise, it was 2002 and people were still not traveling after 9-11 and booked it after Thanksgiving. We paid $700 pp for a 10 night Mexican cruise (inside). In 2010, we booked it but had quite a few price reductions so it was $999 for a mini suite for both Christmas and New Years weeks which was pretty much the going rate for a mini suite on a 7 night cruise. I think Mexico was not that popular that year so it worked out.

Wow, some god prices.:D

We did Christmas and New Year's last year (2014/2015) on the Ocean Princess and LOVED IT!! Beautiful decorations, Christmas carols by the staff, special Christmas morning religious service... just wonderful. Would do it again in a heartbeat!!

Thanks everyone for great information. Something I really want to do. My daughter is just back from Christmas New Year cruise on RCI. She was quite disappointed overall. With comments from Princess cruisers may try it this year but on Princess I feel comfortable on these ships.