Very Disappointed with Princess

ohtocruise

We have been on several Princess cruises and thoroughly enjoyed most of them; however, the last few cruises we have been disappointed with the food and service. To make matters worse it seems Princess is "nickel and diming" passengers. We avoided Princess for a few years but decided we would try them again with the new Regal Princess. Unfortunately, we had to cancel the cruise about 75 days before departure and was told that our deposit of $200 would have to be forfeited as a cancellation fee. It really isn't about the $200, but really how rudely the Princess was to us.

I sent a letter to Princess with my complaint and received a call back from a very unprofessional "customer service" person who simply said there was nothing they could do- it was a cancellation fee. When I contested she said she could give me a credit but that it would have to be used within one year. Without any consideration as to why we had to cancel, i asked to talk to her supervisor. She replied that there was no one there for me to talk too. REALLY, no supervisor.

This was the last straw with Princess and I politely told her to keep her credit. I am very sorry to see Princess go down as badly as they have. We are platinum level and think that they could have at least tried to remedy the matter.

No more, Princess.

I am sorry you had to cancel. In this day and age, I am guessing the other cruise lines would probably treat you the same.

There was a time when companies made exceptions. This doesn't seem to exist much anymore.

I would pursue travel insurance to recoup the $200.

I think it is standard in the cruise industry not to waive the cancellation fees for any reason. If they waived it for you, there would be thousands of others demanding a refund.

Did you have trip insurance? That would reimburse you.

Every cruise line has a cancellation policy. For Princess 74 days out or less will require a forfeiture of your deposit. It's clear. You say "about 75 days" before you cancelled. They will look at the exact dates booked and cancelled. You obviously didn't make the cut off date.

But I certainly wouldn't attack any hotel, cruise ship, airline etc that follows their own policy. Especially when it is very clearly presented when you book. I'd be super happy I only put down $200. I see no reason that they should "remedy the problem", as you state. It's not their problem. It's yours. And it matters not why you had to cancel. Sorry. No other line will handle it differently. It's business.

The remedy you are looking for is the advice are getting here to buy travel insurance.

Edited by eandj

Unfortunately, we had to cancel the cruise about 75 days before departure and was told that our deposit of $200 would have to be forfeited as a cancellation fee.

So which was it--before or after the 75-day window?

And did you book under a promotion with non-refundable deposits?

As usual, a complaint thread unencumbered by any actual facts--except for of course this "special" one:

We are platinum level

Hopefully the OP, being such an experienced Princess cruiser, will return to enlighten us how the Cancellation Fee Schedule which has existed since time immemorial constitutes "nickel and diming" :rolleyes:

Every cruise line has a cancellation policy. For Princess 74 days out or less will require a forfeiture of your deposit. It's clear. You say "about 75 days" before you cancelled. They will look at the exact dates booked and cancelled. You obviously didn't make the cut off date. Yes, you could try again. Maybe a credit towards another cruise?

But I certainly wouldn't attack any hotel, cruise ship, airline etc that follows their own policy. Especially when it is very clearly presented when you book. I'd be super happy I only put down $200.

Also remember, some promotions with Princess have non-refundable deposits.

That is really unfortunate. They do give you their cancellation policy in black and white-- and I know that they occasionally make an exception. I might wait a day and call back.

Princess already DID make an exception and offered a credit for their next cruise. The OP refused that. End of story.

Hopefully the OP, being such an experienced Princess cruiser, will return to enlighten us how the Cancellation Fee Schedule which has existed since time immemorial constitutes "nickel and diming" :rolleyes:

I think the "nickel and diming" remark was in addition to the cancellation fee thing, not part of it. Just "one more thing" in the eyes of OP, I suspect.

This was the last straw with Princess and I politely told her to keep her credit. I am very sorry to see Princess go down as badly as they have. We are platinum level and think that they could have at least tried to remedy the matter.

No more, Princess.

Disappointing that you had to cancel :( and I am truly not trying to be confrontational or a "Princess cheerleader" but they DID try to remedy the matter...they were under no obligation to offer the FCC but they did...I truly do not understand the entitled attitude to get your money back, as previously stated by others, the policy is clearly stated when you book a cruise :confused::confused: am I missing something :confused::confused:

Was it more about the perceived rudeness...if so, not that it is right by any means...but that is EVERYWHERE nowadays.:(

Edited by TLC535

My experience in booking cruises where the deposit is nonrefundable is that Princess an/or the TA state it to me and in addition and it is in writing on the booking summary. My guess is that you booked under a promo with a nice deal, and many of those come with nonrefundable deposits.

I guess I don't understand. Princess followed their written policy which is clearly stated on their reservation forms. Then they went the extra step and offered you a credit toward a future cruise which they didn't have to do.

I don't see what you feel that they did wrong. They went over and above what is their written policy to try to meet your expectation and you refused their offer.

We have been on several Princess cruises and thoroughly enjoyed most of them; however, the last few cruises we have been disappointed with the food and service. To make matters worse it seems Princess is "nickel and diming" passengers. We avoided Princess for a few years but decided we would try them again with the new Regal Princess. Unfortunately, we had to cancel the cruise about 75 days before departure and was told that our deposit of $200 would have to be forfeited as a cancellation fee. It really isn't about the $200, but really how rudely the Princess was to us.

I sent a letter to Princess with my complaint and received a call back from a very unprofessional "customer service" person who simply said there was nothing they could do- it was a cancellation fee. When I contested she said she could give me a credit but that it would have to be used within one year. Without any consideration as to why we had to cancel, i asked to talk to her supervisor. She replied that there was no one there for me to talk too. REALLY, no supervisor.

No more, Princess.

It is in the contract you agreed to when you made the deposit for the cruise. All the cruise lines do it to protect themselves from having an empty cabin or a heavily discounted cabin when they sail. Hotels do the same thing although not the 75 days. From your statement it suggests that you were within the 75 day window. All of the cruise lines would have told you no refund.

Princess tried to satisfy you by offering to give you a credit good for one year. That was a generous gesture as most cruise lines probably would not have made that offer. It was your choice to not accept the offer. It is proof that Princess really tries to take care of their clients. This is not Princess's fault. If you had insurance which Princess certainly tries to get pax to buy, it may have covered the deposit depending on why you decided to cancel.

Since you were never on the Regal and offered no evidence on why Princess "nickel and dimes" you, that complaint at this point is groundless. Food is subjective as is service. It all sounds like a sour grapes comment.

From the signature line, it appears that the cruise is 47 days away. If it is about rudeness, you certainly have a right to express displeasure about that as it is uncalled for. But it does seem like they went above and beyond their published policy by offering you a credit for your deposit.

We are tying to understand the OP's issue. If we read the post correctly, the OP has not cruised with Princess for a few years. And having booked a Princess cruise they are unhappy because Princess simply followed their own rules regarding refunds. So we gather that the only complaint is that Princess refused to ignore their own posted cancellation rules. And even when Princess agreed to meet them half way by offering a future credit (more then most lines would do) they still are unhappy with Princess. So what are we missing here? As to the nickel and diming, and basing our thoughts on 2 recent Princess cruises (the most recent being the Regal last month) we do not think Princess is as bad (with nickel and diming) as much of their competition.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thats pretty cool that they would have given you a credit.

You should have taken it.

Was your booking a non refundable deposit?

When you make a res next time buy the insurance.

This goes for all cruiseline bookings.

I have to agree. I also feel it was quite generous of them to offer the credit. I purchase the insurance but have also booked a cruise with a non-refundable deposit. I limited the liability by using a future cruise deposit but that would still have been a loss of $200 - just the same as that incurred by the OP. However, I wouldn't have even tried for a refund or a credit as I knew up front that I had booked with a non-refundable deposit.

One should always pay attention to what is being purchased.