Better price without balcony discount

We are Diamond and get a balcony discount. We booked an Oasis cruise a couple of months ago in Boardwalk balcony, but when I priced a Boardwalk Balcony yesterday without signing in (so no balcony discount) it was a total of about $30 less! This is taking the promotional OBC (which is not combinable with the balcony discount) into consideration.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Mentally, it is a weird decision to have to make. We made an onboard booking last cruise. $200 OBC with $250 balcony discount. $500 OBC with no balcony discount and a higher price.

We went with the lower price and took the balcony discount. I can make up the $50 with credit card reward points, and would prefer to pay less. :)

Same here, Diamond balcony discount 225.00 or 300.00 OBC. OBC was better deal of course.

OBC is more profitable for RCCL they still make a profit on whatever you buy. with Diamond Discount we get the money [savings]

Edited by sugcarol

Yes, this has been going on for some time now. Making being a loyalist useless in most situations as they are giving better discounts to the masses which are not combinable with any CAS discounts. RCI is pretty much telling loyalists we are no longer a priority. Which has actually been the case for some time now.

The balcony discount should be combinable with standard pricing, and in my opinion the continual BOGOHO sale is now standard pricing. So then it should be combinable with one other benefit as per the rules. If the OBC then becomes standard pricing for a long time, then it really would be time for RCI to get real and revise how they reward loyalty.

They offered these perks. Then they change their marketing so that their special pricing is now coming up to 2 years since it was a special.

I don't think we should get the balcony discount on top of real specials, but these are not real specials. You would have to nearly have a case with some law about fairness in advertising wouldn't you?

The only thing I would say is new cruisers are so happy that they saved so much. So it is totally working toward their target audience.

I will be giving the Australian Fair Trading department a phone call tomorrow. I believe this is getting past ridiculous with specials that are false. It is illegal in Australia to say it is a sale price if it can't be compared to genuine regular pricing.

The balcony discount should be combinable with standard pricing, and in my opinion the continual BOGOHO sale is now standard pricing.....

I agree with this 100%. The continuous fake sale also messes up the Visa points redemptions and shareholder benefit OBC.

Edited by clarea

It's still a better deal to get $300 OBC than $225 balcony discount (seems to me). It's that $75 difference in our favor?

I know this is $$$ that have to be spent, but we usually don't have any trouble spending $300 on a cruise so we'd spend that money anyway.

Tom

It's still a better deal to get $300 OBC than $225 balcony discount (seems to me). It's that $75 difference in our favor?...

Yes, that would be $75 in your favor. As long as you would normally spend that money on the cruise, then it's better to take the OBC.

The balcony discount should be combinable with standard pricing, and in my opinion the continual BOGOHO sale is now standard pricing. So then it should be combinable with one other benefit as per the rules. If the OBC then becomes standard pricing for a long time, then it really would be time for RCI to get real and revise how they reward loyalty.

They offered these perks. Then they change their marketing so that their special pricing is now coming up to 2 years since it was a special.

I don't think we should get the balcony discount on top of real specials, but these are not real specials. You would have to nearly have a case with some law about fairness in advertising wouldn't you?

The only thing I would say is new cruisers are so happy that they saved so much. So it is totally working toward their target audience.

I will be giving the Australian Fair Trading department a phone call tomorrow. I believe this is getting past ridiculous with specials that are false. It is illegal in Australia to say it is a sale price if it can't be compared to genuine regular pricing.

Do please report back! Suspect RCI could argue that definition of a 'sale' does not necessarily = reduction in usual pricing but sales promotion ( include obc or VOOM internet for example...)

Hmmm. I wonder if I didn't use my D+ discount and took the on board credit would I be able to get the stock holder discount

The shareholder OBC is not combinable with any other Royal OBC.

Do they let you use it with BOGOHO?

They did not let me use it with BOGOHO. They said it was not combinable with special pricing. I then asked them to list the cruises that I could use it with. That was 6 months ago, and I'm still waiting for an answer.

Hmmm. I wonder if I didn't use my D+ discount and took the on board credit would I be able to get the stock holder discount

Doesn't look like it......

Combinability?

Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the shareholder benefit offer is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, upgrade offers, chartered sailings, certain group sailings, "dollars off/wave" promotional offers, certain price programs, reservations made on a reduced rate/travel agent rate/inter-line rate and savings certificates. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to investorrelations@rccl.comand a prompt response will be forthcoming.

They did not let me use it with BOGOHO. They said it was not combinable with special pricing. I then asked them to list the cruises that I could use it with. That was 6 months ago, and I'm still waiting for an answer.

Not nice of them not to respond.;) Wish we had some now but we got rid of them a long time ago. Since we mostly book balconies (which might be changing due to price increases) we could never use it for the perks

Edited by molly361