Would You Cancel ??

hammo

We have just realised that our next cruise (on Hal, before our Celebrity Equinox cruise) has 1000 members of a Gospel group onboard. We're keeping our fingers crossed - very wary about how it will go

You know, that's probably the one group that I might consider cruising with. Although of a different faith, I really enjoy gospel music and there's probably a good chance that they will have some concerts that I could crash, even if they are private.

We have just realised that our next cruise (on Hal, before our Celebrity Equinox cruise) has 1000 members of a Gospel group onboard. We're keeping our fingers crossed - very wary about how it will go

If prayers work, you would be covered for just about any incident while aboard.

If prayers work, you would be covered for just about any incident while aboard.

True, that's the upside :) but we're not religious and wonder about the atmosphere in the bars ! Anyway, looking forward to the Equinox on 1 Feb !!

We try to avoid any cruise with a really large group. Even if the group is a great bunch of folks it can create all kinds of issues aboard with the group taking over public spaces, lounges, etc. Some groups are to be avoided at all costs...and these are groups that have their own agenda which they try to impose on every soul aboard. One particular religious group of which we are familiar actually took over half a large RCI ship and even brought their own entertainment aboard. Members of this particular group also harassed other passengers for wearing skimpy swim suits, drinking alcohol, etc. We think it is almost criminal that cruise lines are not required to divulge the scheduling of any group that exceeds a certain percentage of passengers (i.e. 25%).

Hank

I heard horror stories a number of years ago about a group on a HAL cruise who were born again Christians or similar religious group that harassed other passengers trying to get them to convert.

I would cancel....a) there is no way that a group that large isn't going to take over a number of venues during the day and night. b) There is no way that a group that large isn't going to get the full attention of all the officers and staff on board who will be pulled to service the smaller groups, wherever they are.

c) The spouses will also have events planned so it really is 2000 people disrupting the normal functioning of the ship...that's 2/3 of the passengers. That disruption includes breakfast in the MDR and due to session start times, probably will create waves of people in the buffet for breakfast as well as waves of folks in various places as the sessions end.

My advice....make other plans and skip that cruise. You won't regret it....

I tend to agree. I hadn't thought about the buffet and MDR....lunch will also be a problem.....probably total chaos. :eek: If you're set on the itinerary, see if it's available on another date or another ship.

I heard horror stories a number of years ago about a group on a HAL cruise who were born again Christians or similar religious group that harassed other passengers trying to get them to convert.

Oh well, we're too late to cancel now. If they have a problem with me in a bikini it's their tough luck :)

12 Night Silhouette European Cruise September 3 2016 -- Our roll-call has just been informed that the reason there are no balcony cabins left available is due to a 1000 cabin group booking ,( 2000 cruisers :eek:) set to board.

We have cruised before with a few groups of 100+ or so and no noticeable change to our trip , but 2000 would seem to be problematic for all the obvious reasons - taking over sections of the ship , dining , bars etc etc.

We are thinking of cancelling - does anyone have experience with a group this large onboard. I have tried the usual Theme cruise sites to see what the groups agenda is without success.The Roll-Call poster has not identified the group either . May not be a problem , but it sure feels like it at the moment.:confused:

It's a toss up because you really don't know about the group.

Since we had a "group" related issue with then RCCL over thirty years ago have been outspoken in our criticism of the cruise lines regarding large groups. Personally, we would love to see somebody start a class action law suit against a cruise line regarding this issue. But otherwise, the cruise lines (and this seems to include all cruise lines) have an attitude that protects groups and totally screws everyone else. While the cruise lines will deny a large group negatively impacts other non-group passengers, that is simply a lie or deception on their part. The only recourse for non-group passengers (who find out about a large group on their cruise) is to demand an alternative. It is only when enough non-group passengers create an "issue" that cruise lines will respond.

Hank

12 Night Silhouette European Cruise September 3 2016 -- Our roll-call has just been informed that the reason there are no balcony cabins left available is due to a 1000 cabin group booking ,( 2000 cruisers :eek:) set to board.

We have cruised before with a few groups of 100+ or so and no noticeable change to our trip , but 2000 would seem to be problematic for all the obvious reasons - taking over sections of the ship , dining , bars etc etc.

We are thinking of cancelling - does anyone have experience with a group this large onboard. I have tried the usual Theme cruise sites to see what the groups agenda is without success.The Roll-Call poster has not identified the group either . May not be a problem , but it sure feels like it at the moment.:confused:

Would I cancel?

Yes.

Without hesitation.

Rebook. They will own the ship.

Looks like you'll be sailing with a bunch of doctors.

https://www.continuingeducation.net/coursedescription.php?topic=Cardiology_CME_Mediterranean_Cruise_September_2016

Not sure if there would be 2,000 of them but CME (Continuing Medical Education) cruises are very popular since the physician gets to claim some of the travel costs as a deduction.

As far as whether or not I'd sail with such a large group (assuming they are the full 2,000) it's hard to say. If there were other choices I'd probably consider them first.

I am a doctor. I work with these people every day.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

- Joel

Count on vouchers instead of elite happy hour.

Why do you think Celebrity would do vouchers? Do you the that these Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy, Dentists, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses & Others are cruising Celebrity a lot?

We booked this cruise under the 123Go get all 3 promo sometime last year while on a cruise. We have classic drink package. We still like going to the Elite event in the Sky lounge.

I have done some thinking and looking to find a different cruise or change to a land trip. I booked our airfare last year also, but gave us 5 days before and 6 days after the cruise. So we do have a large window to make changes.

The only cruise that comes close is leaving out of Southampton, England on Sept 3, 2016. At this time we are going to keep this cruise. My neighborhood at home is full of doctors.

Why do you think Celebrity would do vouchers? Do you the that these Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Doctors of Pharmacy, Dentists, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses & Others are cruising Celebrity a lot?

We booked this cruise under the 123Go get all 3 promo sometime last year while on a cruise. We have classic drink package. We still like going to the Elite event in the Sky lounge.

I have done some thinking and looking to find a different cruise or change to a land trip. I booked our airfare last year also, but gave us 5 days before and 6 days after the cruise. So we do have a large window to make changes.

The only cruise that comes close is leaving out of Southampton, England on Sept 3, 2016. At this time we are going to keep this cruise. My neighborhood at home is full of doctors.

We were on Millennium, Japan and China last fall. There were two large groups on board. They booked the large bars every night, so the elite happy hour was no more. We wound up in Cellar Masters and met others with vouchers, but it was not like the usual happy hours.

Other than that, the large groups (probably not anywhere near 2000 persons) were not an issue.

I starting reading this thread because we were on the Silhouette for this same exact itinerary this past Sept 3 and could imagine why anyone would want to cancel such a great itinerary. I don't want to take over the thread, but just have one question.

We are on the Article Circle Serenade of the Seas (unfortunately Celebrity no longer offers this itinerary) June 5 sailing. The ship is almost completely sold out, yet there are only 35 of us on the roll call. There has been speculation it might be a charter, yet when I google the ship and date, I can't find anything.

So my question is....What are my other ways of finding out?

Thanks in advance.

We were on Millennium, Japan and China last fall. There were two large groups on board. They booked the large bars every night, so the elite happy hour was no more. We wound up in Cellar Masters and met others with vouchers, but it was not like the usual happy hours.

Other than that, the large groups (probably not anywhere near 2000 persons) were not an issue.

Thanks Papa. I thought you might say they booked the Sky Lounge. I can only hope that they block some of the area for the Elite Event. Final payment is not due until June 20, 2016. Continuing Education, Inc. is still selling cabins on their website.

Thanks Papa. I thought you might say they booked the Sky Lounge. I can only hope that they block some of the area for the Elite Event. Final payment is not due until June 20, 2016. Continuing Education, Inc. is still selling cabins on their website.

Sea. Scanner is showing only one s2 cabin left, I bet June 21 there will be a bunch of cabins showing up