Story of 1980 original Prisendam's burning & sinking

NMLady

LOL... Try reading it ON a cruise! My jokster of a sister bought me a copy and slipped it into my luggage before a HAL far east trip a couple years ago. Well, it looked interesting, so I set about to read it.

About half way through the book ( was sitting in the Mix) I heard a voice say "huumph... REALLY?"

Sure enough it was the Captain. When I looked up he just smiled, shook his head and walked on..... :rolleyes:

(Good read though)

Friends of ours were on that cruise...very interesting to hear their story and see their scrapbook. Words of wisdom from them were to always know how to get into some clothes in the dark and know where your room key is. It was very lucky no lives were lost...one of them was close to losing his due to medical issues he had...many hours in a lifeboat was not fun. I always have a flashlight on the table next to the bed.

Friends of ours were on that cruise...very interesting to hear their story and see their scrapbook. Words of wisdom from them were to always know how to get into some clothes in the dark and know where your room key is. It was very lucky no lives were lost...one of them was close to losing his due to medical issues he had...many hours in a lifeboat was not fun. I always have a flashlight on the table next to the bed.

We sleep in sweats or t-shirt/shorts for this very reason.:rolleyes:

Me too. I keep a "ditch bag" ( long underwear and a windbreak layer with shoes and meds ) readily available, and carry a small "button" light on my ship ID holder at all times.

The book is a fascinating read. Especially right before a cruise!

Dolly was on this cruise. I wish we had had the chance to talk to her about it. I bet she would have a lot to say!

I briefly read the account, wow. I am wondering if I should read the book.

I briefly met Dolly on the Oosterdam back in 2013, she was a character. Mom and I had a cooking class with her.

Wow. That is really interesting. I just reserved it at my local library.

It makes me wonder how scarey it would be to have something like that happen on our transatlantic cruise, out in the middle of the ocean. :eek:

The book is available on Amazon if you want to read more:

http://www.amazon.com/Burning-Cold-Cruise-Prinsendam-Greatest/dp/0760320799

Read that book several years ago.. It's amazing that no lives were lost..Still have it in our library..Very interesting..

As a matter of fact, this is discussed every few years on Cruise Critic.. Here is another thread from 2014 about the sinking:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1987301&highlight=burning+cold

When we had our own boat, we make sure everyone was aware of the safety issues especially when we sailed at night

Edited by serendipity1499

LOL... Try reading it ON a cruise! My jokster of a sister bought me a copy and slipped it into my luggage before a HAL far east trip a couple years ago. Well, it looked interesting, so I set about to read it.

About half way through the book ( was sitting in the Mix) I heard a voice say "huumph... REALLY?"

Sure enough it was the Captain. When I looked up he just smiled, shook his head and walked on..... :rolleyes:

(Good read though)

Some HAL Captains have SUCH a sense of humor!

Glad you enjoyed the book. We read it right before a trans-Pacific cruise. Sheeeesh!!!

I read the book a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it despite the poor reviews (on-line). The whole incident could have been so much worse without the amazing work of many dedicated people.

It is a quick read and well worth your time.

The book, while not terribly well written, is fascinating. We met a couple that were on that cruise. They did not say a lot about it but we're still cruising.

Bolding mine. Totally agree. But the story was fascinating.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

SOS ms Prinsendam October 4, 1980

Recording #1 is an explanation by one of the participants.

https://archive.org/details/SosMsPrinsendamOctober41980

It rolls to Recording #2, SOS starts at 01:00 minutes, preceding that is a tone which triggers alarms in receivers on frequency.

Edited by pspercy

It rolls to Recording #2, SOS starts at 01:00 minutes, preceding that is a tone which triggers alarms in receivers on frequency.

Thanks for posting that link..Another interesting fact about the Prinsendam sinking.. I don't remember that story being told in the book, but it may have been..

In any event I printed up a copy of the article you posted to keep with my book "Burning Cold"

Thanks for posting that link..Another interesting fact about the Prinsendam sinking.. I don't remember that story being told in the book, but it may have been..

In any event I printed up a copy of the article you posted to keep with my book "Burning Cold"

When the powers that be were holding hearings to decide if they should do away with the requirement for ships to carry full time Radio Operators one of the participants in that rescue used it as an example of the value of having human operators. Didn't work.

As for being in the book, I don't know but doubt it, after all the heroism of the Marconi operators on the Titanic was rarely mentioned later.

http://hf.ro/

Edited by pspercy

I think that was not the only questionable decision by the captain.