Just Off the Oasis...

Thanks. Now they are talking about snow moving in on Friday. I'm just a little stressed.:rolleyes:

I like Antigua. The area around Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Heights is beautiful. You will there before I get back from Oasis. Have a great time! :)

We are going to Sandals so we will be based at Dickenson Bay, which is almost the opposite direction of Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard. We are thinking about doing an island tour either by boat (my preference) or on land so we might get to those locations. They look great on google earth. Lisa turns 40 in February so this trip is for her, so it really is her call. I tried to coax her to cruise, but she gracefully pointed out there are other types of holidays.;)

You can always try to fly down Thursday night, unless work makes that impossible. Safe travels and enjoy your time at sea. If you make it to the ice show I'll be with you in spirit.:)

We are going to Sandals so we will be based at Dickenson Bay, which is almost the opposite direction of Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard. We are thinking about doing an island tour either by boat (my preference) or on land so we might get to those locations. They look great on google earth. Lisa turns 40 in February so this trip is for her, so it really is her call. I tried to coax her to cruise, but she gracefully pointed out there are other types of holidays.;)

You can always try to fly down Thursday night, unless work makes that impossible. Safe travels and enjoy your time at sea. If you make it to the ice show I'll be with you in spirit.:)

1. So I've been told.:p

2. I'm sure you will pop into my thoughts.:)

Edited by Ocean Boy

Only sailed RCL? I wanted a comparison to carnival. I've only sailed Carnival and never had a problem but now thinking to try out RCL.

Hi Rob! I've done multiple cruises with both lines. Are there specific things you're wondering about, or just an overall comparison?

Good to read your thoughts. I'm on Oasis next Saturday. I've never encountered lines like that on Oasis or Allure before and I hope to not encounter them next week.

What did you like about Jazz on 4? I try to always pick out one bar and get to know the bartender for my diamond drinks. Were there any other bars that you particularly enjoyed? Did you go to CATS and, if so, was it worth the investment in your time?

I'll watch for your thoughts. Guest Services can be long lines on the last full day, but at least on Allure they had crew members walking out and screening people to see if they could take a form from them or some other reason to get them out of the line if they didn't have to be there. I'm hoping to spend less time in Guest Services this cruise! I usually am sucessful at avoiding it. Of course I'll do a Coke Zero report. :D

Just got off the Oasis' latest Eastern sailing. I'll probably try (and then forget) to write a review, so might as well write a few random thoughts while waiting to fly home. Happy to answer any questions about the ship!

• Lines were an issue throughout the cruise. I suppose some of this should be expected given the ship's size, but one would hope RCL would have this more under control. Getting someone at Guest Services yesterday afternoon took ~50 minutes -- of course, long lines should be expected on the last day, but it would've been nice if the desk was fully staffed. The Windjammer was often very slammed for breakfast, Park Cafe was often very crowded, and disembarkation was particularly messy this morning (line went from the gangway next to Sorrento's, back to the theater, then back up about a third of the way of the Promenade).

• Food was very good, other than the line issues noted above. I really enjoyed the MDR options, especially the rack of lamb and the braised beef duo. I don't see much value in specialty restaurants (though I'm sure I would tire of MDR food a bit if I cruised more frequently), but I did try Izumi for lunch. It was fine, but I don't think I'll be back. I quite enjoyed Park Cafe as well.
  • The service felt a little more impersonal than in past cruises, which I guess can happen when you have so many guests. But, for example, a waiter/waitress never came by at breakfast to ask for drink orders at the Windjammer (is that a new thing everywhere?). That said, our MDR waiter was one of the best I've had.
  • Only did a few shows, but greatly enjoyed what I did see. The diving show was absolutely fantastic. I'm glad I reserved the first show as later shows during the week were postponed due to rough seas. Ice skating show was also very well done. I also enjoyed the comedy show, though of course your mileage may vary given the line-up....though I felt the RCL employee hosting the show was better than the comedians!
  • Jazz on 4 was a delightful spot for a nightcap. Wish I started going there earlier in the cruise.
  • Once again, the Flowrider was a highlight. Lines were a little on the long side during the afternoons, so I'd recommend the morning sessions, especially on port days. In St. Thomas and St. Maarten, there were only about five of us from 8am-10am!
  • I did not select any drink packages -- just didn't feel it was worth it given how much I usually drink, plus the Diamond Happy Hour was going to give me some free beverages anyway. That said, I felt the a la carte prices were rough. I paid $18 for a martini -- granted, I asked for Goose, but that feels quite steep to me.

Overall, I will definitely book again with RCL, but not sure when I will end up on Oasis again. The ship definitely has some wonderful features, but I think those are partially offset by lines/slightly less good service. So I'm not sure if the Oasis class is 'worth' the pricing premium currently being charged by RCL....I think I would be very happy on the Freedom class again, or perhaps with one of the Voyager class ships with a Flowrider.

Let me know if you have any questions about the ship!

We are leaving in 4 weeks on the oasis. I was concerned about the food lines. We are pretty early eaters (breakfast, etc) I was just curious if noticed what times were the peak times? Does that make sense? lol. I am usually up eating breakfast at home by 6am (sometimes earlier than that) and lunch 11am. Any help would be appreciated. It will be our 1st cruise ever. Thanks :)

Thanks for the review. After our 7 night Eastern on the Oasis last year, we don't plan to be back on an Oasis class ship. For all the reasons you mentioned, plus the disconnected feeling from the sea, terrible fitness center, people and more people everywhere, and the feeling like I'm on a floating hotel rather than cruising the seas.

I'm very interested to see what the Voyager class is like in a few months. We love the Freedom class so hope it's very similar. (which looks like it is from all my researching)

Dan

I feel the same.. would not pick Oasis again. This was our 5th cruise on RCCL (Voyager, Freedom, Enchantment, Freedom, Oasis). But like you, I felt a disconnect from the sea. But more so, we really disliked My Time Dining. The first time we tried it on Freedom, it worked out great. We asked for the same time each night, and the same wait staff. Felt no different than traditional dining, but at a better time slot. This time we did the same thing (reservations online before we sailed), but never got seated in the same section and had to wait each night even though we had reservations. One night they even sent us to a different dining room after waiting half hour. We were with friends who were trying RCCL for the first time. They were NOT impressed and doubt they will cruise RCCL again.

MY DH enjoyed the uniqueness of the ship. I LOVED the speedy internet. But in the end, we would select a smaller ship next time.

It is interesting how people used to say that they felt disconnected from the sea on Voyager and Freedom class ships until Oasis appeared. Now that disconnection seems to have gone. I guess the V/F ships have have been re-designed?

It is interesting how people used to say that they felt disconnected from the sea on Voyager and Freedom class ships until Oasis appeared. Now that disconnection seems to have gone. I guess the V/F ships have have been re-designed?

OB, welcome back. I hope you had a great time. We are thinking about going to Shirley Heights this afternoon. We did a fly by of NYC on our way down and right over St Martin. We just missed you by a day. See you on the flip side.

image_zpsejpk422f.jpeg

OB, welcome back. I hope you had a great time. We are thinking about going to Shirley Heights this afternoon. We did a fly by of NYC on our way down and right over St Martin. We just missed you by a day. See you on the flip side.

What an awesome picture. Thank you for sharing it! I can just picture myself at the end of that runway surfing the fence and getting blasted by jet wash. There is nothing like it!! :) :) We had a great week. I'll be posting a few thoughts on the cruise when I get a chance to type them out. Enjoy the rest of your vacation. I think you will find the trip to Shirley Heights well worth the investment in time. You might find touring Nelson's Dockyard while you are in the area a nice experience also.

Edited by Ocean Boy

We are leaving in 4 weeks on the oasis. I was concerned about the food lines. We are pretty early eaters (breakfast, etc) I was just curious if noticed what times were the peak times? Does that make sense? lol. I am usually up eating breakfast at home by 6am (sometimes earlier than that) and lunch 11am. Any help would be appreciated. It will be our 1st cruise ever. Thanks :)

We've been on both the Allure and Oasis and I was up in the windjammer around 7am at the earliest and there was hardly a crowd. No lines or waiting and lots of tables available.

Unless you're talking about port days and then it was busier if it was an early port disembark.

Also the wipeout cafe (made to order omelets) it was never busy that early in the morning.

In fact I'm not certain they don't actually start serving at any breakfast venues earlier than 7am unless it's an early port day?

Regardless I confident You'll have a wonderful time I'm certain!

We're sailing on Oasis a second time in June. Granted, it is a different experience from sailing on smaller ships, but it has wonderful things that the smaller ones don't have.

The entertainment is good enough to get me to attend, something I haven't done in years.

The food is as good as on the other ships, pretty much all cruise ships have the same level of offerings in the dining room.

Wipeout Café has made to order omelets, and so does Johnny Rockets......free of charge.

Johnny Rockets does charge for lunch, but it's much lower than a landside restaurant would charge.

We board as early as possible, and have our choice of tables and food in Windjammer for lunch. Go for breakfast early, and you won't have a problem there, except for port days. Room service for breakfast is free and good.

Book your entertainment as soon as it's available online. I did it more than two weeks ago for our June 11 sailing. That gives you seating without waiting in line with those who didn't book it. That really is worth it.

Never let others' reviews sway you in one direction or another. I have found that to be true with movie critics, and it's true for cruises, hotels and resorts.

Expect to have a great cruise and you will!

Edited by jagsfan

• 2 weeks later...
Would you please tell me about your Diamond Member experience on the Oasis?

In particular the Cocktail Hour.

Thanks in advance

Cocktail hour is from 6pm to 8:30pm in the Diamond Lounge. Complimentary unlimited soda, house wine/champagne, selected beers, basic mixed drinks, hot/cold snacks. Same drinks are available during the same time period at bars around the ship, but limited to 3 per person each night.

Cocktail hour is from 6pm to 8:30pm in the Diamond Lounge. Complimentary unlimited soda, house wine/champagne, selected beers, basic mixed drinks, hot/cold snacks. Same drinks are available during the same time period at bars around the ship, but limited to 3 per person each night.
Bob must have just gotten up:p Happy Hour is 5pm-8:30pm (I sure hope that correction is correct, Bob is almost always right.)

I feel the same.. would not pick Oasis again. This was our 5th cruise on RCCL (Voyager, Freedom, Enchantment, Freedom, Oasis). But like you, I felt a disconnect from the sea. But more so, we really disliked My Time Dining. The first time we tried it on Freedom, it worked out great. We asked for the same time each night, and the same wait staff. Felt no different than traditional dining, but at a better time slot. This time we did the same thing (reservations online before we sailed), but never got seated in the same section and had to wait each night even though we had reservations. One night they even sent us to a different dining room after waiting half hour. We were with friends who were trying RCCL for the first time. They were NOT impressed and doubt they will cruise RCCL again.

MY DH enjoyed the uniqueness of the ship. I LOVED the speedy internet. But in the end, we would select a smaller ship next time.

Just curious... did you ask for the same wait staff each night with My Time Dining? We do, as long as our dining times are all at pretty much the same. Actually, on the Oasis this past May, we didn't care for our first waiter and assistant, so we asked to be seated with someone else the second night. Much better. We then requested to be with the same wait staff for the rest of the cruise and it worked out well. We have had the same wait staff for the duration of the cruise for all of our cruises with My Time Dining. We tend to eat at the same time each night though which helps. We are typically on the earlier side.

It's funny how I didn't know how nice the Freedom class (and I imagine Voyager) is for views of the seas until I went to Oasis. Easy views from the top decks, as well as the awesome views from deck 4. Not life boats blocking your views like the Oasis class. I see that the Celebrity S class also has life boats blocking that deck as well. It's nice for the Freedom and Voyage classes to have the lifeboats up high enough that the view is not impaired.

Dan

Just curious... did you ask for the same wait staff each night with My Time Dining? We do, as long as our dining times are all at pretty much the same. Actually, on the Oasis this past May, we didn't care for our first waiter and assistant, so we asked to be seated with someone else the second night. Much better. We then requested to be with the same wait staff for the rest of the cruise and it worked out well. We have had the same wait staff for the duration of the cruise for all of our cruises with My Time Dining. We tend to eat at the same time each night though which helps. We are typically on the earlier side.

It's funny how I didn't know how nice the Freedom class (and I imagine Voyager) is for views of the seas until I went to Oasis. Easy views from the top decks, as well as the awesome views from deck 4. Not life boats blocking your views like the Oasis class. I see that the Celebrity S class also has life boats blocking that deck as well. It's nice for the Freedom and Voyage classes to have the lifeboats up high enough that the view is not impaired.

Dan

How much can the times vary for requesting the same wait staff? We have three dinners at 5:45pm, three at 6pm and three at 6:15pm. Are these close enough? We would have booked the exact same time for the reason you mention, but our dinner times are around the show times.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

How much can the times vary for requesting the same wait staff? We have three dinners at 5:45pm, three at 6pm and three at 6:15pm. Are these close enough? We would have booked the exact same time for the reason you mention, but our dinner times are around the show times.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

In our experience, 15 minutes is not a problem at all. 30 might be pushing it, but you could ask the person at the kiosk out front of the dining room to be sure. The key is asking to be with the same wait staff if at all possible.

Dan