BOGO Nonsense

What?????

It's not.....................a ............................sale????

:eek:

Yea, this has been going on for awhile.

One day it will be over and an new one maybe a

BOGO1/2sale

or

BYGOGOBO????

Whatever.

Enjoy

Then watch for your price reduction,

Safe travels.

It's all marketing. What I don't get is why does it matter what they call it?

Two people sailing. If there's no "sale":

Pax 1: $1000

Pax 2: $1000

Total: $2000

BOGO

Pax 1: $2000

Pax 2: $0

BOGOHO (math not exact)

Pax 1: $1335

Pax 2: $665

No matter what, you're paying the same total amount. In fact, unless they've changed thing on the website, they actually give AVERAGE per person cost. So looking on the website on all of the above scenarios would tell you $1K pp.

It was still 30% off an inflated price. The only reason you think that one was an "actual" sale is that you were happy with the price you got. But it was no different from other sales in that some sailings and cabins went down in price, while others were about the same or went up.

I considered it a sale because I had been pricing that cruise under BOGOHO for a few months and the price finally went down with the 30% scheme. ;) It didn't go down a full 30% (maybe 30% from the super-high-regular-price-that-no-one-ever-actually-pays), but it went down.

Edited by emory2001

I'm trying to find a reasonable (to me) per-night cost for Oasis, Allure, or Anthem without luck. I know these are the newest ships with the most amenities, so I guess there's quite a premium on their sailings compared to other classes of ships.

I was able to get a good price for Oasis in 2014 but that was during their "kids sail free" promo. Currently the lowest 7-night price seems to be at least 45-50% more which I guess is in line with the current value of the CAD relative to the USD :(

Now THAT was a sale, the Kids Sail Free in 2014, which I doubt we'll ever get again. My family and my sister's family took a Thanksgiving cruise under that sale. :D The adult prices weren't even really inflated beyond typical holiday pricing, and once you divided it by our 4 total passengers, it was the best deal I've ever had for a cruise.

Edited by emory2001

How long can Royal continue to run these horrible BOGO "sales"?

Has there been any other promotions in the past year besides this?

Is there any end in sight?

They will run this scam as long as people continue to fall for it.When they start to run half empty ships it will change.They raise the cruise price,then lower it.Then they say Bogo sale half of for the second person.What a load of bull.:mad:

For some reason, consumers seem to think they are getting a better deal when they see BOGO.

I have a small seasonal business (sell fireworks for New Years and July 4) I decided to do a little test last New Years Sale. Instead of listing everything as BOGO like I've done for a number of years. I just priced everything individually. If I sold it BOGO $10, then I just listed it for $5. I had more complaints than I had in 10 years because I wasn't doing BOGO. So this year I went back to doubling the price and promoting BOGO.

So I guess this little test of mine seems to hold true for the average person buying cruises. It goes right along with the $14.99 price tag versus $15. Psychologically people read $14.99 as a $14 dollar item. It's crazy

Grocery stores love to do this as well, but handle it differently. Here in GA, Kroger makes to buy 2 to get BOGO, whereas Publix's BOGO, are typically 50% off if you only want one of them. RCI definitely goes the Kroger route... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to find a reasonable (to me) per-night cost for Oasis, Allure, or Anthem without luck. I know these are the newest ships with the most amenities, so I guess there's quite a premium on their sailings compared to other classes of ships.

I was able to get a good price for Oasis in 2014 but that was during their "kids sail free" promo. Currently the lowest 7-night price seems to be at least 45-50% more which I guess is in line with the current value of the CAD relative to the USD :(

I think the "real" sales are about constant checking or getting lucky. I stumbled upon a "Going going gone" sale last month for our Allure cruise next month where we got a CP balcony for $1 more than an interior, so I was happy with that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do they keep running the BOGO? -- look at all the positive responses on this thread.

Many are happy with BOGO, and posters here are as a whole, saavy hard-core cruisers. The general public must be elated, they decide to take a cruise, and behold, a big sale is on!

Of course, those of us that follow fares closely know that there is no sale at all.

Think how it was 3 or so years ago when you wanted to book on the RC website. You checked the fare, added port charges and knew your fare. You compared every room category until coming up with the perfect room and fare.

NOW - you check the cruise of interest, what's the fare? Don't know without going halfway through a booking. How about for that E1 compared to E3 balcony? Sorry, can't do that on the website anymore, you need to try a TA website, then come back. Hey, RC, thanks a lot for that greatly improved website!

Another BOGO issue: you've saved your RC VISA points and now you want to redeem for that free companion fare. Sorry, you can't apply that to the "real" BOGO fare, you have to use the "guest #1 X 2" "undiscounted" fare that no one has actually paid.

I considered it a sale because I had been pricing that cruise under BOGOHO for a few months and the price finally went down with the 30% scheme. ;) It didn't go down a full 30% (maybe 30% from the super-high-regular-price-that-no-one-ever-actually-pays), but it went down.

Exactly my point. You considered it a real sale, because the price on the cruise you were looking at went down. Some others didn't, so for those who were less fortunate with the cruises they were looking at, it was not a real sale. The same happens with BOGOHO - some cruises go up, some go down, some stay the same, whenever they "renew" the sale. So, if yours went down, it feels like a "real" sale.

Now THAT was a sale, the Kids Sail Free in 2014, which I doubt we'll ever get again. My family and my sister's family took a Thanksgiving cruise under that sale. :D The adult prices weren't even really inflated beyond typical holiday pricing, and once you divided it by our 4 total passengers, it was the best deal I've ever had for a cruise.

I agree, this was the one time I can remember a promotion that was worth anything! Doubt that'll be back EVER again.

It was still 30% off an inflated price. The only reason you think that one was an "actual" sale is that you were happy with the price you got. But it was no different from other sales in that some sailings and cabins went down in price, while others were about the same or went up.

I disagree somewhat. There is no doubt that most of the pricing is marked up to cover the difference in the offering of half off the second person. But if one can purchase a cruise fare during a BOGO promotion and while doing so at the lowest fare offered for the itinerary, one can score pretty good. This isn't easy, but can be done.

On another note, RCI offered the BOGO50 on selected cruises. This promotion offered half off the 2nd person and also half off the 2nd premium and ultimate beverage pkg. Meaning... you had to purchase one bev pkg to get the 2nd bev pkg at half off. This was/is an excellent way to increase sells in bev pkgs. When you looked at the selected cruises that this was offered, all of the itineraries had 5 night port stops within 7 days. I suspect that it was determined that due to 5 ports in 7 days there was a noticeable decrease in beg pkgs purchased since most were off the ship so often. We booked a cruise on the Adventure the first week BOGO50 was offered. We ended up booking at the lowest price for this cruise and recieved two preimum pkgs for $600. Not bad. If you booked this same cruise today, it would cost us a lot more. Timing is everything w/ a BOGO promotion.

IMO, BOGO promotions are very effective to a consumer when you can book a cruise at the introduction of a said itinerary. Most simply do not know how to research and/or find the price history of a said cruise. Because of this, it's a very, very effective sales promotion. I think it will be around for quite awhile longer with different twists etc. But bottom-line, if one is happy with their price received, good for them! and Happy Cruising!

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

The strange sale tactic are basically the same as a car dealership.

According to a Carnival rep. the cruise industry realizes that only about 10% of the population in the US have ever cruised. So if they decide to cruise everything is new to them, until they find Cruise Critic where the truth prevails LOL

I disagree somewhat.

That's okay. I don't think you said anything that really disagrees with what I was saying. My point was that, if you benefit from a sale on the itinerary you're looking at, it feels like a "real" sale, and if you don't benefit, it doesn't.

Buy one and get one free? Or buy one and get one 1/2 half? Either way, it forces the customer to buy two of whatever.

Buy one get one free = 50% off of each. Not bad but still have two buy two in order to get the discount. The customer may not want two.

Buy one get one half off = 25% off of each. Worse because the customer is getting a lower discount. It is a better sale for the company because they made two sales and at only 25% off.

Either way, the customer is forced to buy two in order to get the discount. Personally, I do not do BOGO sales because they seem deceitful. Others find them great sales. It all depends what is wanted or needed. :)

I have just booked a BOGOHP Mediterranean/Greek Isles cruise on the Brilliance for June and I did have to buy 2 fares - with one being normal price and one being half-price..... but then I always take my husband with me when I go on my cruises anyway, so I saved half a fare! And we both got a select drinks package thrown in too, so we are happy with our booking. We did almost the same cruise itinerary on the Serenade in 2014 and actually paid a little more back then than we are paying now and we didn't get the drinks package included.

Edited by Lanzalady

Yep! Traveling with 3 in one cabin, the 30% off was the lowest price I've been able to find and I'm glad a booked when that came out. Hopefully we see another one when new sailings are released.

We lucked into that one as well... which is why we are able to do the cruise below...

Exactly my point. You considered it a real sale, because the price on the cruise you were looking at went down. Some others didn't, so for those who were less fortunate with the cruises they were looking at, it was not a real sale. The same happens with BOGOHO - some cruises go up, some go down, some stay the same, whenever they "renew" the sale. So, if yours went down, it feels like a "real" sale.

Exactly right. There are no real sales. The bottom line prices are just like airfares, maybe you'll find a good price on any given day and maybe you won't. RCCL just plays games by calling them sales. I have to believe it's all mostly targeted at new cruisers trying to convince them they've gotten some awesome bargain. Anyone who has cruised much will just ignore whatever they're calling the "sale" and look at the actual final price.

Interested in this as we are currently switching lines from DCL. We are debating between NCL, have to call to get prices sigh, Celebrity, Princess, and RCCL. RCCL with this sale/nonsale is we think the cheapest of the bunch. NCL may be the exception, just need to take the time and call them. So it might work out well for us. You got me wondering now if I need to wait. With the previous line waiting just meant open wallet further.

Its a CON.

Jacked up prices.

You pay serious premium to choose a stateroom early.

3 months out the prices collapse and last minute even worse.

Strongly disagree. My last three cruises prove you to be incorrect in this assessment.

But each have their own strategy I like mine much better than yours.

It may be that UK prices work this way but care to explain your method?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I book when the itineraries are released. It might be as far out as 18 to 20 months out. The prices increase, not decrease. My theory is that RCL grew tired of adjusting everyone's cruise fares down, so they now start low and continue to increase until right before sail date. Based on inventory per type of cabin, they'll decrease the cabin prices at or near 30 days from cruise date to fill remaining cabins. So far, in my past three cruises, there has never been a price dropped after final due date that was lower than the first price offered on the release date. Zilch. Nada.

In between the itinerary release date and final due date is the fodder you discuss. BOGOHO, BOGO, BOGO50, and so on. When one can catch a good BOGO promotion at the same time an itinerary release date is offered then one can score pretty good.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Interested in this as we are currently switching lines from DCL. We are debating between NCL, have to call to get prices sigh, Celebrity, Princess, and RCCL. RCCL with this sale/nonsale is we think the cheapest of the bunch. NCL may be the exception, just need to take the time and call them. So it might work out well for us. You got me wondering now if I need to wait. With the previous line waiting just meant open wallet further.

LOL, true that!

i'm finding rcl the best of the rest myself. i'm booked. :)