Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

I gotta hand it to the Haitians. Their protest was much more civilized than the opportunistic thugs I've been seeing in our country lately.

Going on all 2nd and 3rd and info at this time, I would tend to agree with you. At least their signs aren't saying something to the effect of NO PEACE, if we don't get our way.

Hi All

Does anyone out there have any information as to whether Freedom will be calling to Labadee on 2nd Feb, 2016 or not. We are booked on this cruise.:confused:

The decision will probably be made at the time of the cruise, either by RCL corporate folks based on Intel from their own people at Labadee, or the captain of the ship when it arrives in port.

I have seen enough posts on facebook to add a little credence (considering the source) that a chartered cruise for March has changed from Labadee to Nassau. That would indicate to me, through speculation only, that perhaps the charter company made that change, but it is the furthest out change I have heard of. I do have a friend on the upcoming BUCKEYE CRUISE FOR CANCEER that is on Navigator in late February and as of today they haven't heard of any changes.

Again referencing Facebook, the March charter is the 2016 Beachbody Cruise and members are reporting the itinerary change was because of Zika Virus fears.

This is a first world problem website. We talk about sandy beaches and OBC for missing out on those beaches.

More and more lines are offering humanitarian components to their excursions. While some folks do cruise only for the sandy beaches, umbrella drinks and high life- others do appreciate the opportunity to give something back to the countries we visit. Granted, it's a drop in the bucket that gets done- but every drop can count.

I won't stop cruising. I love the sandy beaches and umbrella drinks. As for Labadee, I don't know that I would be all that sad to miss the port. We did enjoy our beach day on the last cruise we took. I have never thought to ask for OBC for missing a "beach day." Now, if I rented one of the cabanas for the prices they charge, I would probably like a refund in some form for a service I was unable to use.

There are some folks that do like the humanitarian components and the humanitarian excursions. Yes, this is a very "first world" site. We are all fortunate enough to enjoy the luxuries in life. Thankfully.

More and more lines are offering humanitarian components to their excursions. While some folks do cruise only for the sandy beaches, umbrella drinks and high life- others do appreciate the opportunity to give something back to the countries we visit. Granted, it's a drop in the bucket that gets done- but every drop can count.

I won't stop cruising. I love the sandy beaches and umbrella drinks. As for Labadee, I don't know that I would be all that sad to miss the port. We did enjoy our beach day on the last cruise we took. I have never thought to ask for OBC for missing a "beach day." Now, if I rented one of the cabanas for the prices they charge, I would probably like a refund in some form for a service I was unable to use.

There are some folks that do like the humanitarian components and the humanitarian excursions. Yes, this is a very "first world" site. We are all fortunate enough to enjoy the luxuries in life. Thankfully.

I'm sure Royal refunded the people who had cabanas. I don't know that for a fact, but I'd place money on it. Hey, you never visited us in ours, what did you do that day?

As for the cruiselines adding "humanitarian" type offerings. I haven't hear of Royal doing that yet. The closest I have heard is an "eco-related" one a friend who was supposed to be with us on Freedom, did in Cozumel that was called a turtle rescue. They loved it, I hope it was real and not just hyped and was well conceived.

This article is 20 years old but talks about some of the background of RCI and Labadee.

What struck me are the dates; it is nearly exactly 30 years since RCI's first call at Labadee and that may be significant with these protests.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Fantasy+Island%3A+Royal+Caribbean+parcels+off+a+piece+of+Haiti.-a019622661

Here is a photo I took of what was then called "Cocoa Beach", which is now, Labadee. Taken in 1984 when I lived in Haiti as a missionary for 18 months. As you can see, there are buildings there, but according to the locals, this was the start of another development - not sure if this was a cruise interest or not - but soon after, Royal made the deal to lease it.

8245392779_2e7e0b70a7_b.jpg

I also appreciate you posting that picture Toddcan. Anything else you can share, photos or memories, would be interesting. I enjoy learning about the way things were, and how they have become what they are.

Here is the original thread. There were a few other discussions from others who visited way back when. Feel free to post in that thread too - might be appropriate based on the current topics and discussions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1747828

Thanks for that picture Toddcan. That's really interesting. I also seem to remember you having pictures of the school RCI built. Would you mind posting those?

Sure.. rather than post a lot of photos, I'll link the original thread. Lots of photos, and discussion about out trip to the school. Again, feel free to post there too. Others would likely be interested.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1811839

Interesting article, but I take with a grain of salt. I found it interesting and yet hard to believe that you pay to be admitted into Labadee. What tourist would end up there and obviously the locals can afford to pay.

Here is the original thread. There were a few other discussions from others who visited way back when. Feel free to post in that thread too - might be appropriate based on the current topics and discussions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1747828

Sure.. rather than post a lot of photos, I'll link the original thread. Lots of photos, and discussion about out trip to the school. Again, feel free to post there too. Others would likely be interested.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1811839

Todd, thanks for the orginal pic in this thread as well as the links. That pic from the Cocoa Beach looks nothing like what you would see today from the same view point.

Todd, thanks for the orginal pic in this thread as well as the links. That pic from the Cocoa Beach looks nothing like what you would see today from the same view point.

For sure! I'm not sure any of those buildings are still standing. Although - you CAN see the bell tower on the small peninsula between Nelles and Barefoot. That is still standing today. I remember standing there .. oh so long ago.

So what are they protesting in that particular area? Are they upset that some of their fellow countrymen lucked out and scored a job with RCI and they want to sabotage that? Are they protesting rich tourist showing up in their country and they want to sabotage that and, again, hurt their own countrymen who are making a living off of the tourists?

What does protesting in the harbor around Labadee accomplish?

It got us all talking about it.

Royal caribbean was not able to dock because of protest, they put their people at the other side of the island to try and sell their hand made products, most people cannot find the shopping i just got back and had to walk a long way to find local shopping. Plus they have jet ski close to the island, that destroy the people fish nets. These people are poor and cannot afford to go buy fish. If Royal caribbean want to jet ski there, let them pay the people money for their fish lost. I think americans should protest the way they treat these people. boycott the cruise line. Travel Carnival or someone other than Rcc

I was just in Labadee a few weeks ago and booked that cruise for the stop there with the FOS. I feel the protesters crossed the line with blockage of the Freedom and most of all a sign that said No USA. I for one will Honor that sign and never go back to Haiti. The plight of Haiti is of the Haitians doing not mine and to disrupt vacationers who only want to spend their money there is misguided and wrong. I have worked hard for my money as have others and Haiti needs to realize that they are not special a be thankful for the money people are willing to spend on there island. They as protesters don't have the right to disrupt the lives of others with there cause,the cruise passengers are not the problem.

Currently sitting at the "R" bar on Navigator-we had Labadee canceled shortly after meeting up with Freedom in Falmouth, Jamaica. Some passengers are upset, but the rest of us are enjoying a few extra creations our fabulous bartenders are creating!

....so the ship is offering free drinks as a comp for missing Labadee? :cool:

We're on NOS 2 weeks from tomorrow, if the Labadee thing is still a no go for us should I ask for a full day of free drinks?;)

This is really sad for those who aren't able to get into port at Labadee. It's such a beautiful laid back port. Something we look forward to every cruise that we've taken with Labadee as a stop.

I hope it's cleared up by the first week in April. Our kids loved it on their first cruise Dec 2014

Dan

....so the ship is offering free drinks as a comp for missing Labadee? :cool:

We're on NOS 2 weeks from tomorrow, if the Labadee thing is still a no go for us should I ask for a full day of free drinks?;)

Nah, no free drinks-just more time with my favorite bartender! :cool: