Can you take food off ship at ports

iggycc

Depends on the port.

Nothing off the ship in Australia.

Most other ports you can take off prepackaged foods- Nutrigrain bars, hard candy, baby pouches etc.

No fruit, veggies or meats. Many ports in Mexico use dogs to sniff out the contraband. You do not want the cute Lab sitting next to you.

Since you'll have a car, shop at local market.

Packing a picnic lunch to eat at the beach would be out of the question.

As was stated bringing in fruits or meats are a big no no, just as they are in the U.S. Some ports may have dogs, others may just ask to check your bags.

Some people will bring some of the small boxes of cereals that they offer at breakfast. (not all ships have them) You would be OK with that. Same if you brought prepared packaged snacks from home.

Since Klfrodo mentioned the car rental...remember your home insurance will not cover you as well as any coverage you may have with credit cards. If you do rent, get all the supplemental insurance available. Make sure you understand what your deductible will be in the event of an accident. Even with supplemental coverage, it will rarely be full coverage. I wouldn't say not to rent but make sure you understand what you could be on the hook for. Remember, you are not at home and you have a ship to catch. Worst case someone is injured and the police wont let you go.

have a great cruise

It would be helpful if you told us what port/s you are visiting? Many people rent cars in ports so you are not the only ones doing that.

The only kind of things you can usually take off the ship are closed boxes like cereal.

Fruit,vegetables, meat etc. are not usually allowed but different ports may have different rules.

Have made sandwiches numerous times and put them in ziploc for a beach day, no one check bags on way out in Caribbean ports but they do coming back on.

Enjoy

does someone actually need to check your bags for you to follow rules (and the law I believe) and do what is right for the environment?

really????

Have made sandwiches numerous times and put them in ziploc for a beach day, no one check bags on way out in Caribbean ports but they do coming back on.

Enjoy

Obviously you do not live in an AG state. During the Medeterresn fruit fly invasion in SoCal in the late '80's/early '90's I got very good at wrapping up the kids' swing set. We were crop dusted with Malathion many times.

It all depends on where you are asking about. Some ports allow it, others don't.

People who say it is absolutely banned are just wrong. Some of the luxury lines will even prepare picnic for you to take ashore, but they know the rules and will only allow it where it is not banned. Most cruisers are not up to speed on the local laws so it is banned by the cruise lines.

We rented a car in Grand Cayman a few years ago. It's a really nice island and we didn't have to worry about ending up in a bad area of town because it's really nice there. But driving on the left hand side of the road was a little challenging. My husband (who was driving) kept forgetting to drive on the left side of the road. Thank goodness I was there to remind him. It was an adventure to remember. 😊

Carnival has the small cereal boxes at breakfast that are perfect for snacking and are ok to take off the ship. We've done it ourselves. Some ports are picky about fresh fruit or unsealed unpackaged foods like homemade sandwiches. I didn't see anything like that in Grand Cayman. But most all ports are okay with new unopened packaged food like bags of chips, candy bars, cereal bars, or the small boxes of cereal on the ship, just as long as its new and unsealed. When our kids were little and we were budgeting a lot more we brought food like this with us. We hated paying ten prices at some restaurant while in port for our kids that would pick at the food and barely eat it then get hungry an hour later. :rolleyes: We would bring boxes of cereal bars, goldfish crackers, fruit snacks, etc. I hope this helps. :)