Host Andy - Live From Azamara Journey !

Andy

I love the escargot on Celebrity, so I will definitely look forward to trying it on Quest.

I don't know what they do but if I remember correctly, it has some type of bread crumbs or something baked on top. I remember one White Night, that was the main thing I ate.....and ate....and ate. I haven't seen it served on White Night since 2012. I'm just happy to see it is served in Discoveries. Most nights on X, that was the appetizer I ordered.

Enough about lobsters :D Let's get back to something more important: bathrooms. I hope that as Azamara thinks about refinements for the upcoming Quest drydock, they consider this feature that would make the tub vs shower issue fade away completely:

ATT000043.jpg.9bf3ce2bbec1a345602d9f6ebfa325db.jpg

Lobster is good regardless where you get it. Some just is tastier than others.

I didn't care whether the 5 lb. lobster I had in Vegas was Homarus americanus or Homarus Gammarus. The only thing I regret is that it wasn't 10 lbs.

I ate lobster last fall in Boston, Bar Harbor, Portland and Halifax. The one in Halifax blew the others away. But I'd be happy with any lobster Azamara serves me. :D

OK now back to bathrooms. lol

Edited by ChucktownSteve

They are good but do not compare to the Maine lobster....to die for.

Hi Midwestchick,

Ok... so I guess the correct wording is "Spiny Lobster" LOL.

We love Maine lobster, but I was VERY pleased with the Spiny Lobster served tonight. It was very tasty and surprisingly sweet. We dined at Prime C for Mom's Birthday tonight, and everything was once again outstanding. Tonight, I had the Tuna Tartare appetizer, skipped the salad, and had a surf and turf of the Lobster and NY Strip, which was cooked perfectly, and so delicious. This is the 3rd time we've dined at Prime C. Each time, our waiter was Edward, and he's outstanding. If you dine at Prime C, I highly recommend asking for him. We also had the pleasure of dining with Kay from Azamara's Miami team, who is onboard with a team photographing the reimagined Journey. She's incredibly delightful, and a huge asset to Azamara.

For Dessert, we were totally surprised with a beautiful Birthday Cake, which was all whipped cream, and strawberries. I have a photo of the cake, but will post it when I return home. My sincere thanks to Azamara for such a wonderful cake - the smiles on Mom's face made it a perfect evening !

BTW, I heard the Spiny Lobster was served in the Main Dining Room, Windows buffet, and both specialty venues. Very nice job by Azamara, to bring some local flair to the menu tonight.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd offer a segment of "Random Thoughts" tonight. Hope you enjoy !

The Patio :

I'm absolutely loving what they've done to the former Pool Grill area. Not only does it look great, but the lunch offerings are outstanding. The Burgers are to die for - cooked to order, and very high quality. I'm also enjoying the skewers. 3 different types, steak, lamb and chicken - all of which are outstanding. If you like onion rings, don't miss them. I think they are the same ones from Johnny Rockets on RCCL ships - but they are fantastic. Here's a tip. I've noticed that very few guests order the Tuna Wrap. Do try it if you have a chance - it's absolutely delicious !

The Patio also offers an upgraded evening menu with table linens and waiter service, which is not catching on all that much - yet... possibly because it's been very hot, but I suspect this is going to be a *huge* success. We plan to try it in the next few days, so please stay tuned for additional insights.

Officer and Crew Engagement :

As I've said for years, one of the many things that makes Azamara special, is their officer and crew engagement. I'm completely blown away with how warm and friendly everyone is. Normally, that would be no surprise to me at all... but considering that they've all been through 2 weeks of an extremely difficult Drydock, makes you want to hug each and every one of them. They are all shining stars.

Another very cool event, was Breakfast with the Officers. 2 tables were set up in the middle of the Discoveries Dining Room. One table was Hosted by Captain Johannes, and Cruise Director Eric. Our table was Hosted by Hotel Director Ryszard (Richard) Gusmann and the Chief Engineer. His name is escaping me at the moment (sorry !), but he was very informative about the inner workings of Journey. It was easy to recognize his passion for his work. I've also become a huge fan of Richard. As many of you are aware, we totally love Heike Berdos - and always will, but it's so nice to finally get to know Richard. So many folks on this forum have been singing his praises for years. Now I know why. He's fantastic, and deserves huge credit for keeping things together, especially in the first few days, when some guests weren't overly happy.

The Living Room :

We are enjoying The Living Room. It's the perfect spot to enjoy a late afternoon or early evening drink. The addition of the Tapas Bar (4:30 - 8 pm most nights), is a great addition. The Tapas selections rotate daily, and everything has been delicious.

Additional thoughts on the Discoveries Chairs :

I think Phil and others made an excellent observation. The chairs are very comfortable, but I think that taller folks will enjoy them as they are, as the seats are very deep. I'm a bit shorter and heavier, and my back isn't the greatest, so maybe that's why I'm not loving them. At any rate, the previously mentioned cushions, would easily make the chairs wonderful for all, and I hope Azamara will consider ordering some cushions for those in need.

A final note for tonight, Mom & I were invited to the "Best of the Best" Dinner, which is being held on Thursday night. This will be the first time for us, and we're incredibly excited and sincerely appreciate the invite. Photos and insights to follow.

Hope you are enjoying my insights. More to come. Please stay tuned !

Hi Midwestchick,

Ok... so I guess the correct wording is "Spiny Lobster" LOL.

We love Maine lobster, but I was VERY pleased with the Spiny Lobster served tonight. It was very tasty and surprisingly sweet. We dined at Prime C for Mom's Birthday tonight, and everything was once again outstanding. Tonight, I had the Tuna Tartare appetizer, skipped the salad, and had a surf and turf of the Lobster and NY Strip, which was cooked perfectly, and so delicious. This is the 3rd time we've dined at Prime C. Each time, our waiter was Edward, and he's outstanding. If you dine at Prime C, I highly recommend asking for him. We also had the pleasure of dining with Kay from Azamara's Miami team, who is onboard with a team photographing the reimagined Journey. She's incredibly delightful, and a huge asset to Azamara.

For Dessert, we were totally surprised with a beautiful Birthday Cake, which was all whipped cream, and strawberries. I have a photo of the cake, but will post it when I return home. My sincere thanks to Azamara for such a wonderful cake - the smiles on Mom's face made it a perfect evening !

BTW, I heard the Spiny Lobster was served in the Main Dining Room, Windows buffet, and both specialty venues. Very nice job by Azamara, to bring some local flair to the menu tonight.

I do hope all the naysayers read this post. Azamara goes above and beyond in so many ways.

I do not recall who our waiter was in Prime C. The last time we dined there, it was an early anniversary celebration. I mentioned to the Maitre'd that we had hoped to see the sunset while we dined and realized it was on the side of the ship that Aqualina was on. I did mention we should have eaten in Aqualina. Shortly after I had mentioned that, we heard an announcement from Capt. Johannes that he was turning the ship around because a couple celebrating their anniversary wanted to see the sunset. He also joked he would be charging us one dollar extra to pay for the fuel.....lol. I will never forget that and when I tell that story, people look at me in disbelief. I also remember the first time we cruised on the Journey, we were eating lunch at a 4 top table when Capt. Johannes graciously approached us and asked if he may join us. To be quite honest, we had no idea

he was the captain. Keep in mind, it was our first cruise. A little later the staff physician joined our table and a very interesting conversation ensued. He also hooked me on rum raisin gelato. Homemade gelato on Azamara is hard to beat.

I just want to point out to all those who are questioning Azamara....don't judge so harshly. You have no idea and if you are hesitant, don't book a cruise. It will leave more room for me and those that love sailing on Azamara.

Once again Andy, thank you for taking valuable time for keeping us updated. I hope one day we will have the privilege of sailing with you.

Sounds from Andys thoughts that Azamara have not made changes to the Pool grill offerings at lunch time but have stuck with the tried and tested offerings of the last few years - wise move. The order system always works very well, they usually have one of their better more experienced waiters at the pass and this helps.

Can I ask are they now staying open right from lunch all the way through. Our recent Quest trip we were disappointed they closed around 3 (it was advertised in Pursuits as 2.30) - we often use the grill if we come back from a trip ashore around 3 having skipped lunch. It would be nice if this option was back on the "menu"

Sounds like their Top Tier breakfast is being run in a much better way (my review of Quest highlighted it was an issue there). Hope Ryszard takes this approach back to Quest

Edited by uktog

Thank you so much Andy for taking time from your vacation to keep us posted on all of the wonderful enhancements that you are finding on the Journey as well as confirming that all of the fabulous things that we have come to expect are still in evidence. We board on Sunday for our 9th Azamara cruise and the excitement just keeps building.

Enjoy the rest of your trip! We'll look for you on Sunday - will you be the one crying and hanging on to the door saying "don't make me get off";)?

Sue

Hi Everyone,

The Patio :

A final note for tonight, Mom & I were invited to the "Best of the Best" Dinner, which is being held on Thursday night. This will be the first time for us, and we're incredibly excited and sincerely appreciate the invite. Photos and insights to follow.

Thank you for the updates and you will absolutely love that dining experience...we have each time we have attended and the wine parings have always been spot on.:)

These posts are making me so HUNGRY. And with those new bathroom sinks, I won't have a problem getting wine for sitting on my balcony, right? ;)

I'm really glad we opted for an itinerary with quite a few sea days - I'm going to need time to explore all the different dining options! (and therefore should probably make time for a few laps around the new deck flooring too!)

I'm looking forward to more reviews as others try out the re-imagined Journey!

Hi Diligaf,

I'm trying my best to obtain them. So far, no luck - but I feel it will happen.

BTW, Azamara purchased 450 lbs of Caribbean Lobster today in Nevis, and they are preparing it for several dining venues tonight. How cool is that ?

It's another team effort that makes Azamara so very special.

thanks andy and pam. i made my posts prematurely.

Hi Diligaf,

I'm trying my best to obtain them. So far, no luck - but I feel it will happen.

BTW, Azamara purchased 450 lbs of Caribbean Lobster today in Nevis, and they are preparing it for several dining venues tonight. How cool is that ?

It's another team effort that makes Azamara so very special.

Hi Andy,

I asked the office the other day for the complete set of menus as well. I was told they are working as fast as possible to complete them and make them available for publishing. Between you & me, I hope YOU get the digital versions before I do! I'm terrible at posting photography on CC. I need to take a class from you on how to do it!

Sounds from Andys thoughts that Azamara have not made changes to the Pool grill offerings at lunch time but have stuck with the tried and tested offerings of the last few years - wise move. The order system always works very well, they usually have one of their better more experienced waiters at the pass and this helps.

Can I ask are they now staying open right from lunch all the way through. Our recent Quest trip we were disappointed they closed around 3 (it was advertised in Pursuits as 2.30) - we often use the grill if we come back from a trip ashore around 3 having skipped lunch. It would be nice if this option was back on the "menu"

Hi Uktog,

The Patio Lunch menu appears identical to what the former "Pool Grill" offered. I've tried about 3/4 of the menu, and everything has been so wonderful, that we aren't taking much advantage of the Windows Buffet. The Patio Lunch menu is so varied and tasty, that I'm in the category of - if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

There is some better news on the Patio hours. While it does not run straight through the day, Lunch is served until 5 pm. They close for 90 minutes, then Dinner is served from 6:30-8:30 pm.

No Patio Dinner tonight, as we will be having the Azamazing evening onboard the ship - from the Pool Deck. Of course, I will be reporting on the evening, so please stay tuned !

Hope this helps !

Hi Andy,

I asked the office the other day for the complete set of menus as well. I was told they are working as fast as possible to complete them and make them available for publishing. Between you & me, I hope YOU get the digital versions before I do! I'm terrible at posting photography on CC. I need to take a class from you on how to do it!

Hi Bonnie,

I'm glad to hear that you are working on obtaining the new menus. When I return home on Sunday, I will be happy to post them here on the Azamara forum, and create a new "Sticky" thread. Please let me know if that works for you. Thanks !

Thanks for taking the time to post, HostAndy. Am living vicariously through you!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Thank you for posting Carolyn. I'm so pleased to hear that you are following my Journey ! All the best to you.

Looking forward Andy, to read about the AmazingEvening in St. Barths.

this will be the same, than we will have in march, first time onboard the Journey.

I think they do not have the capacity on this small island for all the passengers.

Hope, no I´m sure, you will enjoy the rest of the cruise and keep us informed so well.

Marita

Hi Uktog,

The Patio Lunch menu appears identical to what the former "Pool Grill" offered. I've tried about 3/4 of the menu, and everything has been so wonderful, that we aren't taking much advantage of the Windows Buffet. The Patio Lunch menu is so varied and tasty, that I'm in the category of - if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

There is some better news on the Patio hours. While it does not run straight through the day, Lunch is served until 5 pm. They close for 90 minutes, then Dinner is served from 6:30-8:30 pm.

No Patio Dinner tonight, as we will be having the Azamazing evening onboard the ship - from the Pool Deck. Of course, I will be reporting on the evening, so please stay tuned !

Hope this helps !

What does the Patio serve for dinner?

Hi Everyone,

The Patio :

I'm absolutely loving what they've done to the former Pool Grill area. Not only does it look great, but the lunch offerings are outstanding. The Burgers are to die for - cooked to order, and very high quality. I'm also enjoying the skewers. 3 different types, steak, lamb and chicken - all of which are outstanding. If you like onion rings, don't miss them. I think they are the same ones from Johnny Rockets on RCCL ships - but they are fantastic. Here's a tip. I've noticed that very few guests order the Tuna Wrap. Do try it if you have a chance - it's absolutely delicious !

The Patio also offers an upgraded evening menu with table linens and waiter service, which is not catching on all that much - yet... possibly because it's been very hot, but I suspect this is going to be a *huge* success. We plan to try it in the next few days, so please stay tuned for additional insights.

Officer and Crew Engagement :

As I've said for years, one of the many things that makes Azamara special, is their officer and crew engagement. I'm completely blown away with how warm and friendly everyone is. Normally, that would be no surprise to me at all... but considering that they've all been through 2 weeks of an extremely difficult Drydock, makes you want to hug each and every one of them. They are all shining stars.

Another very cool event, was Breakfast with the Officers. 2 tables were set up in the middle of the Discoveries Dining Room. One table was Hosted by Captain Johannes, and Cruise Director Eric. Our table was Hosted by Hotel Director Ryszard (Richard) Gusmann and the Chief Engineer. His name is escaping me at the moment (sorry !), but he was very informative about the inner workings of Journey. It was easy to recognize his passion for his work. I've also become a huge fan of Richard. As many of you are aware, we totally love Heike Berdos - and always will, but it's so nice to finally get to know Richard. So many folks on this forum have been singing his praises for years. Now I know why. He's fantastic, and deserves huge credit for keeping things together, especially in the first few days, when some guests weren't overly happy.

The Living Room :

We are enjoying The Living Room. It's the perfect spot to enjoy a late afternoon or early evening drink. The addition of the Tapas Bar (4:30 - 8 pm most nights), is a great addition. The Tapas selections rotate daily, and everything has been delicious.

Additional thoughts on the Discoveries Chairs :

I think Phil and others made an excellent observation. The chairs are very comfortable, but I think that taller folks will enjoy them as they are, as the seats are very deep. I'm a bit shorter and heavier, and my back isn't the greatest, so maybe that's why I'm not loving them. At any rate, the previously mentioned cushions, would easily make the chairs wonderful for all, and I hope Azamara will consider ordering some cushions for those in need.

Okay Andy, I've got a complaint. The addition of tapas in the Living Room means I'll be eating even more delicious Azamara food on future cruises.:D:D:D

And I am so pleased that you have had the opportunity of sailing with HD, Ryzsard. He is outstanding and I will never forget the help and kindness he gave me on a previous Quest cruise. He really did go above and beyond for me.

Edited by Spursgirl

Hi Host Andy and all the other posters on this and the dry dock thread.

Thank you so much for the fantastic information and pictures you have provided. I have thoroughly enjoyed them all.

I will be a first time Azamara cruiser on 10 December in a CC suite when my good friend and myself will be sailing on Journey from Hong Kong through Vietnam and Thailand to Singapore.

We booked this cruise last May.... long before I heard there was a drydock planned. You can imagine how excited and interested I have been reading these threads and learning about the changes.

I am counting the months until it is my turn to experience the reimagined Journey and the wonderful crew.

As I have a rather significant birthday our first night at sea (the main reason for our trip), my big decision now is where to dine that night. Any suggestions?

Once again, thanks for the lively discussions.

Hi Host Andy and all the other posters on this and the dry dock thread.

Thank you so much for the fantastic information and pictures you have provided. I have thoroughly enjoyed them all.

I will be a first time Azamara cruiser on 10 December in a CC suite when my good friend and myself will be sailing on Journey from Hong Kong through Vietnam and Thailand to Singapore.

We booked this cruise last May.... long before I heard there was a drydock planned. You can imagine how excited and interested I have been reading these threads and learning about the changes.

I am counting the months until it is my turn to experience the reimagined Journey and the wonderful crew.

As I have a rather significant birthday our first night at sea (the main reason for our trip), my big decision now is where to dine that night. Any suggestions?

Once again, thanks for the lively discussions.

Hi Bluegum,

Thank you for your kind comments.

If you enjoy beef, I'd highly recommend Prime C. Our meals have been outstanding !

Hope this helps, and have a wonderful Cruise.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Bluegum,

Thank you for your kind comments.

If you enjoy beef, I'd highly recommend Prime C. Our meals have been outstanding !

Hope this helps, and have a wonderful Cruise.

Aqualina is also very nice with upscale Italian/Continental cuisine and great service.