Host Andy - Live From Azamara Journey !

Andy

Hi Phil,

They are still using the cards. Nothing has changed in that respect, and it works perfectly.

Good stuff Andy.

As regards the compensation I'm very pleased to read about the offer made by Azamara, which seems wholly generous to me and unsurprising. Hoping all on the ship are enjoying the new surroundings.

Just on the subject of the chairs in Discoveries, I have spent many nights sitting in them on Celebrity's S-Class ships and when it was mentioned here that they were the same as the new ones on Azamara I certainly didn't think "oh no, not those awful chairs". No bad memories for me and they were fine.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Glad it is all going well Andy - yes a very fair and generous offer from Azamara.

Only thing I would disagree with you -- I was so happy when I saw the photos of Discoveries and I thought great the comfortable seats from Celebrity. Perhaps it depends on our shapes but I love them, they really support my back so well

Good stuff Andy.

Just on the subject of the chairs in Discoveries, I have spent many nights sitting in them on Celebrity's S-Class ships and when it was mentioned here that they were the same as the new ones on Azamara I certainly didn't think "oh no, not those awful chairs". No bad memories for me and they were fine.

Phil

Phil, these chairs sit differently for a short person like me. For one thing, they're too deep and I definitely need a pillow behind my back. I may just have to bring one from the cabin at meals (if the cabins have throw pillows). :rolleyes:

Garry

Good stuff Andy.

As regards the compensation I'm very pleased to read about the offer made by Azamara, which seems wholly generous to me and unsurprising. Hoping all on the ship are enjoying the new surroundings.

Phil

I agree Phil, we were on the Solstice just before Christmas and whilst I agree the chairs are a tad heavy, we found them quite comfortable. If indeed they are the same on the Journey we won't have any issues with them at the end of the month. I expect the waiters will help in moving them into the right position for individuals as they always have in the past.

However, I do recognise that like food, seating is very personal:)

I echo everyone else who thinks that Azamara's compensation offer is very generous and the sort of thing that Larry and his team excel at.

Hope those who have not yet sailed with Azamara and who seemed to be complaining the most are now thoroughly embarrassed.

Thanks so much for all your updates Andy. So when's your next Azamara cruise?:D:D:D

Hi Spursgirl,

Excellent comments, and I completely agree. What upset me most, is that much of the commentary was from folks that weren't onboard, and it absolutely didn't line up with my observations. Anyway, Larry Pimentel and Azamara came through big time, and I sincerely hope that puts an end to the conversation.

As for our next Cruise, we previously booked Celebrity Eclipse for April. Had we not booked some time ago, I'd absolutely sail on Journey again in March. At this point, I have my eyes on the 18 night Quest sailing from Miami in December.... which partially transits the Panama Canal - that's my dream itinerary, and I hope we can make it happen.

As always thank you for your kind comments. Much appreciated !

Edited by Host Andy

I do not, in ANY way, want to cast any aspersions on your wonderful trip, Andy. But I am known in my group of acquaintances as somebody who watches and observes everything that happens and is said. There is a first-time Azamara cruiser on this board who was willing to use their internet time to share their experiences with us. They are the ones who had packed very lightly in anticipation of being able to do laundry onboard, but were having to send it out. They didn't indicate that they had been informed that laundry would be done free while the washing machines weren't able to be used.

Please don't "poo-poo" their experience as unimportant, I imagine that until they knew they wouldn't be having to spend money for something they hadn't planned on, that was a stressful situation. It was important to them.

Perhaps you missed it but Andy said the ship offered free laundry until the machines were installed and working.

Hi Midwestchick,

Good news. The escargot is back on the Discoveries menu, and it's highly recommended.

Hope this helps !

Andy, thanks for all the information you have provided. Just a friendly reminder to post the MDR menus. Many thanks.

Andy, thanks for all the information you have provided. Just a friendly reminder to post the MDR menus. Many thanks.

Hi Diligaf,

I'm trying my best to obtain them. So far, no luck - but I feel it will happen.

BTW, Azamara purchased 450 lbs of Caribbean Lobster today in Nevis, and they are preparing it for several dining venues tonight. How cool is that ?

It's another team effort that makes Azamara so very special.

Edited by Host Andy

Pam,

The REI pillow looks good. As I am short, I have issues with these chairs on Celebrity, as others have stated...too deep. The REI webpage does not give a size of the pillow at its smallest. Could you please measure it for me? I would appreciate it. Also, which one of them did you get, as they list several.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi

I am new to CC and this is my first post so please excuse me if I am in the wrong thread or something. I have been reading with interest all of the comments re the Journey refit and issues as we will be sailing on the Quest in April straight after its refit. I have read all of Andy's post (and thanks Andy) but apart from 2 early photos have not been able to locate any others esp of recent photos after the completion. We have sailed on the Journey before and loved it

Thanks

Bazza9

Pam,

The REI pillow looks good. As I am short, I have issues with these chairs on Celebrity, as others have stated...too deep. The REI webpage does not give a size of the pillow at its smallest. Could you please measure it for me? I would appreciate it. Also, which one of them did you get, as they list several.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Okay, confession time; I just went looking for my pillow online and the REI site had the prettiest ones. I don't remember where I ordered mine from, it isn't nearly as pretty as those are (mine is camo, in fact) but it is the size of the smallest of those at REI. When you mash it down and roll it up into the pocket at the end, it compresses drastically. When you let it unroll, you think it is smashed flat, but give it a few minutes and it puffs right up. Mine is small particles of foam, I couldn't tell what the REI ones are but I would assume the same thing. I bought mine to supplement bed pillows in hotels that don't realize that some people like some height to their pillows; I slip it under the provided pillow. I have had it for 10 or so years, and it still performs perfectly. I think I have the next size larger somewhere, too, but I could put my hands on the smaller one.

And just to put matters straight, the only pot I know how to stir is on a stove; I am a widowed grandmother who tends to "mother" everybody I see. I certainly never meant any complaint or offense.

Oh wait, edit. You said at its smallest. Let me roll it up and mash it, and I'll get right back to you. Rolled up and folded into the pocket at the end of the pillow, it measures about 11" x 5 or 6". I hope that helps. And my brand is Thermarest, I don't know if they still make it or not.

Edited by Pam
add measurements.

And my brand is Thermarest, I don't know if they still make it or not.

I just looked it up on Amazon and they have all three sizes in a variety of colors. I just might get one before our Quest cruise in August. ;) Thanks Pam.

Garry

I just looked it up on Amazon and they have all three sizes in a variety of colors. I just might get one before our Quest cruise in August. ;) Thanks Pam.

Garry

They are just a life saver. Rolled up, they can fit into the small of your back on a long flight. I have to have some height to a pillow, or I wake up with a migraine.

Oh, and I want to fly to Nevis tonight! There isn't much I love more than warm water lobster!

Hi Diligaf,

I'm trying my best to obtain them. So far, no luck - but I feel it will happen.

BTW, Azamara purchased 450 lbs of Caribbean Lobster today in Nevis, and they are preparing it for several dining venues tonight. How cool is that ?

My mouth is watering !! so glad to see lobster back on the menu. Enjoy Andy. Thanks for all the updates.

I have read all of Andy's post (and thanks Andy) but apart from 2 early photos have not been able to locate any others esp of recent photos after the completion. We have sailed on the Journey before and loved it

Thanks

Bazza9

There's an older thread (but not too far down the page) of the Journey dry dock. It has lots of photos including those Azamara has posted in their social media.

I'm sure Host Andy will be posting more from his trip when he gets home - he mentioned some problems resizing and posting photos right now.

Hi Diligaf,

This is not a dig on Azamara but Caribbean Lobster is a contradiction in terms. The only true lobster is the Homarus americanus.

DON

There's an older thread (but not too far down the page) of the Journey dry dock. It has lots of photos including those Azamara has posted in their social media.

I'm sure Host Andy will be posting more from his trip when he gets home - he mentioned some problems resizing and posting photos right now.

Here's a story from USA today which has lots of photos of the ship after the dry dock.

You can see them full screen as well:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/01/29/azamara-journey-cruise-makeover/79520214/

This is not a dig on Azamara but Caribbean Lobster is a contradiction in terms. The only true lobster is the Homarus americanus.

DON

I think the key is "Homarus." The European species, Homarus Gammarus, is said to be comparable in flavor. But Homarus is rarely found on cruise ships, sadly.

YAY!

The escargot on Azamara was delicious. X serves it as well, but Azamara's is best.

I love the escargot on Celebrity, so I will definitely look forward to trying it on Quest.

Edited by bbqoug

Hi Diligaf,

Hopefully Azamara does the same when we visit Nevis in November on Quest (unless it's out of season at that time).

Edited by bbqoug