Host Andy - Live From Azamara Journey !

Andy

Hello mcomd508, if I understand well you are not onboard at the moment. If so, please stop complaining for others! The passengers onboard are adults.I am sure they can hadle any issues themselves.I sence lots of negativatie!

I quite agree. Some just like to stir up the pot, adding very little value.

Phil

It seems to me that there are a few 'teething problems' following the major works - who hasn't experienced some of these after building works on dry land? Surely it how the issues are dealt with that is most significant....We may all be hearing about problems which are affecting some passengers ( mostly those in CC suites, it seems), however, we are not necessarily going to hear about how Azamara personnel are compensating (and I do not necessarily mean financially) those who are inconvenienced.

I urge those who are anticipating their first Azamara experience to take heart....our experience of 6 Az cruises is that when things do not go according to plan, or are not as they would like (both rare occurrences), they respond/react very well. Do not worry about the problems : you may not be hearing about the solutions! [emoji6]

I quite agree. Some just like to stir up the pot, adding very little value.

Phil

I was going to add that this thread started by Andy is entitled Live from Azamara Journey and it would be a pity if it was hijacked by someone on a mission who isn't even on the ship. mcomd508, start your own thread if you want to and discuss it there.

Phil

I was going to add that this thread started by Andy is entitled Live from Azamara Journey and it would be a pity if it was hijacked by someone on a mission who isn't even on the ship. mcomd508, start your own thread if you want to and discuss it there.

Phil

I fully agree. The other advice I would give the poster is to reserve comment until he or she is onboard next Sunday. Despite the few niggles that there seem to be I am sure all will be resolved. We will board on Sunday in the full expectation of having a great time.

Good morning from Azamara Journey, sorry to see that this thread is being turned negative, yes there have been issues but the majority of passengers we have spoken to are perfectly happy. We have spoken at length to some of the passengers moved from the largest suites and they have had no complaints about the way they have been treated and compensated. Of course we haven't spoken to everyone affected so there's bound to be those who aren't as happy.

Problems happen on all cruises but these are probably being added to the list by the minority who may have their eye on compensation. Yes maybe the time scale was ambitious but the alternative would have been to cancel or foreshorten our cruise, but I would rather be enjoying the stunning scenery and weather we are enjoying on this cruise than the alternative. Although in fairness we haven't had any direct conversations around the ship with anyone expecting or demanding compensation.

Good news is we have spoken to the couple who were missing a toilet seat and they now have one, they are also perfectly happy and joking about the whole issue!

Only bad news to report is that the new wardrobes have the same fault as the old ones, something is causing all my clothes to shrink [emoji51]

Whilst the ship was empty yesterday I have taken a few pictures, will try too see if I can post some but I would have to use Dropbox and not sure about the quality I could achieve or the Internet time it would take.

One of the risks of any community forum or public review site such as this is the risk of being hijacked by negativism, and that is where one learns to sift through such comments, consider the source, and discount the comment as applicable.

We are booked on Journey for the February 29 sailing, and his will be our 19th Azamara cruise. We have learned that cruising, like food, wine, and many other things, is deeply personal, and one size does not fit all. That being said, our personal experience with Azamara is that it is the people that make the difference, in this case the extraordinary crew, staff and officers, and that is why we keep coming back. The destinations are outstanding, the ship is wonderful, but it is the human element, in out humble opinion, that place Azamara in our cruising sweet-spot.

I appreciate all of the positive, balanced contributions that posters such as Host Andy, Riocca and many others have made on this forum, and I read them with great interest, as it heightens my excitement about our next cruise adventure. Happy sailing!

Host Andy...enjoying your comments. I am thinking seriously about making the switch from Celebrity to Azamara and just cruising a little less often. It seems like this is definitely a step up from Celebrity but I know the cost is more. I am trying the suite class for first time in September on the Connie but really think for 2017 will treat me and mom to an Azamara experience. Thanks for all you do!!

Walter

One of the risks of any community forum or public review site such as this is the risk of being hijacked by negativism,

The flip side of that in such a community are the cheerleaders who refuse to let any negative word about a cruise line be written here. As you mention, the "truth" is surely somewhere in between, in the balance of the overly wonderful and the overly critical.

I appreciate the comments -ALL of them. Host Andy has done such a great job gathering all the photos during the dry dock and I am certain he is enjoying his cruise - I look forward to his musings upon his return.

That being said, our personal experience with Azamara is that it is the people that make the difference, in this case the extraordinary crew, staff and officers, and that is why we keep coming back. The destinations are outstanding, the ship is wonderful, but it is the human element, in our humble opinion, that place Azamara in our cruising sweet-spot.

You have hit the nail on the head. This, to me, is what makes a "luxury" cruise line, not walk-in closets or caviar laid out on a tray in the buffet at Sunday brunch, a la Regent.

It's the way you are treated by the staff on board, from the captain on down. On Azamara, senior officers--in particular the captain, hotel director, and cruise director--stop to chat when they pass you on the ship. On Regent, they keep their eyes focused on some imaginary horizon so they don't have to acknowledge you.

When we disembarked on Quest in Edinburgh this past July, the stepped gangway was steep, making it difficult to carry off any luggage. So the hotel director, F&B manager, and cruise director were there to carry your bags off for you, allowing the rest of the crew to continue to prepare for the next set of passengers.

On Azamara, suggestions are accepted graciously. On Regent, when we mentioned to the F&B manager that the restaurant had been closed at two in Manaus when all the shore excursions had not returned until 2:30 so the buffet was mobbed well beyond capacity, he snapped at us that the restaurant manager knew that and he should have taken care of it.

When we filled out our early-cruise feedback form asking that water and chilled towels be handed out upon return to the ship (it was 90+ degrees and 90%+ humidity in the Amazon) and asked that our form be placed on the hotel general manager's desk we were told that couldn't be done and we could only give it to the guest services desk. The general manager had made himself invisible to that point on the cruise. Nothing was done until we cornered a new GM who came on board in Manaus. We were then given water and chilled towels in three ports, and then it mysteriously stopped. We gave up.

Some people think walk-in closets and inexpensive caviar at the buffet on Sunday--what I call the "trappings" of luxury--make for "real luxury." We think how you are treated by the management and crew while on board is what really matters.

Edited by marinaro44

You have hit the nail on the head. This, to me, is what makes a "luxury" cruise line, not walk-in closets or caviar laid out on a tray in the buffet at Sunday brunch, a la Regent.

It's the way you are treated by the staff on board, from the captain on down. On Azamara, senior officers--in particular the captain, hotel director, and cruise director--stop to chat when they pass you on the ship. On Regent, they keep their eyes focused on some imaginary horizon so they don't have to acknowledge you.

When we disembarked on Quest in Edinburgh this past July, the stepped gangway was steep, making it difficult to carry off any luggage. So the hotel director, F&B manager, and cruise director were there to carry your bags off for you, allowing the rest of the crew to continue to prepare for the next set of passengers.

On Azamara, suggestions are accepted graciously. On Regent, when we mentioned to the F&B manager that the restaurant had been closed at two in Manaus when all the shore excursions had not returned until 2:30 so the buffet was mobbed well beyond capacity, he snapped at us that the restaurant manager knew that and he should have taken care of it.

When we filled out our early-cruise feedback form asking that water and chilled towels be handed out upon return to the ship (it was 90+ degrees and 90%+ humidity in the Amazon) and asked that our form be placed on the hotel general manager's desk we were told that couldn't be done and we could only give it to the guest services desk. The general manager had made himself invisible to that point on the cruise. Nothing was done until we cornered a new GM who came on board in Manaus. We were then given water and chilled towels in three ports, and then it mysteriously stopped. We gave up.

Some people think walk-in closets and inexpensive caviar at the buffet on Sunday--what I call the "trappings" of luxury--make for "real luxury." We think how you are treated by the management and crew while on board is what really matters.

I couldn't agree more, and that is where Azamara wins hands down, every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have my first Azamara cruise booked for next year so I don't think I can be considered a cheerleader yet.

That being said, what I've observed here is what appears to be circumstances that may be extrapolated beyond what is actually happening. One toilet seat missing (or even a hand full) does not mean yours will not be there on the next cruise. Actually the reported missing seat has been installed.

What I am saying is why borrow trouble? Just because things are happening on this cruise has no bearing on whether it will occur on the next. It seems that Azamara is addressing all the concerns as they develop.

The chairs in the eating area were there. They just weren't the NEW ones because that container didn't arrive in time.

Do you believe EVERY bathtub had no stopper? Didn't someone report that the crew was shopping in the next port for tub stoppers anyway?

If you wish to have an enjoyable cruise, why not wait until you're actually on board before you start complaining? It's irrelevant whether the current problems are small or large to you if they are corrected BEFORE you embark. Isn't it? Wouldn't you be impressed if they were fixed showing that AZ listened to it's passengers so you didn't have to deal with it on your cruise?

I'm just suggesting that if you go with the attitude that your cruise is going to be bad, it probably will be a self fulfilling Prophecy .

I for one am enjoying the live reports as I did the extensive refit thread. They make me so look forward to my Quest cruise and my Azamara experience.

Sorry you'll expect to have a bad cruise. :D

The flip side of that in such a community are the cheerleaders who refuse to let any negative word about a cruise line be written here. As you mention, the "truth" is surely somewhere in between, in the balance of the overly wonderful and the overly critical.

I appreciate the comments -ALL of them. Host Andy has done such a great job gathering all the photos during the dry dock and I am certain he is enjoying his cruise - I look forward to his musings upon his return.

Very well said!!

There's a huge difference between reporting facts and repeatedly rehashing how bad things are (especially when the reporter is not on board) and starting to talk about compensation. Just as there is a big difference between cheerleading and having tolerance and patience.

Most of us will accept that things can go wrong but it's how they are handled that makes the difference between a bad situation and an issue that came up and was resolved.

Azamara in particular has a very good reputation in how they resolve problems. Rather than complaining before you board, why not wait until you are there to see if you even have a problem. If you do, give them a chance to resolve it and, if they fail, you would have support for your cause.

I haven't seen any posts yet of problems that were not being addressed. Most things were noted but the response to them, for the most part, has not.

I have long loved the term "self fullfilling prophecy". There are a few people who will board the Journey on the next cruise and find problems that would go unnoticed by the vast majority of people simply because they expect to. It's a shame to put needless barriers in the way of an amazing time.

A good motto to follow in any travels is "Expect good things, prepare for the worst but hope for the best".

I do hope this thread returns to the original intent as I, and I'm sure others, would enjoy hearing about the new and improved life on board Journey.

TOTALLY agree! 👏👍👏. Let the whiners and doomsayers start their own thread. Personally, as always, I am looking forward to boarding the Journey next week.

Very well said!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sounds to me you should stick to Regent et al given your attitude. Having spent 49 days on Regent, I will tell you there is no "real luxury" there, only trappings of luxury. Lousy flight routings, arrogant and aloof senior officers, captains who avoid passengers...not my idea of "real luxury."

I agree with Marinaro44.

Regent did not serve water to returning passengers on an Amazon River cruise until I finally met the hotel manager. Most remarkably, 6 neighbors pointed out THEY didn't NEED the water! Water stopped on the 105° F day.

When 90% of the ship returned on excursion busses at 2pm, yup, they closed the dining room because the chefs were going off duty. The HM said it was the a dining room issue. People brought plates of food from the cafe to their suite after waiting 20 minutes in line.

You saw the captain only when he raced to the smoking room.

But Regent is good for some.

Hi Everyone,

“. . . Had something awesome happen in the terminal. I had the opportunity to meet Larry Pimentel, and, the Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean, Richard Fain. Larry was extremely gracious to share very kind comments about my work on Cruise Critic with Mr Fain, and I was very proud. It's things like that, along with your wonderful comments, that keep my passion so strong. Larry was smiling from ear to ear. After boarding Journey myself, I can see why he's so happy. He has great reason to be very proud of the reimagined Journey. . . “

Host Andy,

THANKS for taking time out of your vacation to share with us. Your experience with Larry and Richard is something you should be extremely proud of. I hope that you, Sis & Mum have the time of your life !

Host Andy...enjoying your comments. I am thinking seriously about making the switch from Celebrity to Azamara and just cruising a little less often. It seems like this is definitely a step up from Celebrity but I know the cost is more. I am trying the suite class for first time in September on the Connie but really think for 2017 will treat me and mom to an Azamara experience. Thanks for all you do!!

Walter

stinsowm,

Do give Azamara a try if you can. They have loyalty programs that work together and you will probably receive some perks. Hands down, without a doubt the Azamara experience is one you will love. The difference is the crew. Top to bottom they are the best. The atmosphere on the ship is relaxed and without pretension, like other "high end" lines.

Dear Connie and Andy,

When are all the outstanding issues going to be addressed? I understand that difficulties may show up during a major makeover like this, but missing furniture, toilet seats and bath plugs? Unfinished suites? Maybe Azamara was too ambitious with the schedule for the dry dock.

I am booked for the upcoming Feb 07 cruise and am rather disappointed that I may be potentially sailing in an unfinished product.

Will Azamara offer any form of compensation for their guests who are currently on board or who will be boarding soon and may be facing the same problems?

There was certainly no discount on the pricing of the cruise to make up for all these inconveniences.

mcomd508,

Without being aboard or present during dry dock I’ll share some things. . .

The missing bath plugs were likely placed in the cardboard packing of the shower / tub enclosures and were thrown out inadvertently.

It’s likely that one small work group was assigned the installation toilet seats and ran out of either time or the seats themselves. If the plastic threads on either the nut or bolt got stripped, it’s dumpster bound.

Wet carpets are likely caused by the failure of just a few plumbing joints that were soldered. The plumbers probably did a perfect job and the system was pressure checked and approved as ready to go. Bad news is that the cabinets and countertops were installed after the waterline stubs. All it takes is a nice bump with a 40b cabinet to bust a solder weld.

It is impossible to know the aggressiveness of Azamara’s schedule, but we must understand that no matter how perfectly choreographed, “things” happen. In my former life I worked where every minute of every workers time was scheduled to a task.

As one work group completed a task, the next would be there to, say test the installation, the next to remove the scaffolding and finally someone to clean the area. That scenario doesn’t include demolition work that was done. Unfortunately life does not follow a contractors or computers schedule. Bad weather slowing the loading of materials from the dock into the Journey could negatively effect all work groups by a factor of 20 or 30%.

If the schedule was easy or light the opportunity to take advantage of dry dock time and thus impacts how many of the nice things they could install for us. Darned if you do, darned if you don’t.

Consider the fun meter cranked to 11 !

Only bad news to report is that the new wardrobes have the same fault as the old ones, something is causing all my clothes to shrink [emoji51]

Already?? Wow, that must be some amazing new menu!:D

Thanks for the update and glad to see that things are being addressed (as I figured they would be). Carry on!

... the new wardrobes have the same fault as the old ones, something is causing all my clothes to shrink [emoji51]

Riocca - THANKS! I've always wondered how my clothes all managed to shrink from day-to-day when I'm cruising. Might just have to try leaving them lay out on a chair. :D

Hmmmm ... just a thought ... maybe I could shrink if I slept in those closets. :rolleyes:

Well said....lets get back to the good news from Journey.

Hi Lottie,

Thank You. I'm deeply disappointed to see the direction this thread has taken. Fwiw, much of this is hijacking/off topic, and it's rude to derail anyone's thread, especially a "Live From" thread. It makes me feel as if my efforts are pointless. I sincerely wish that our dear friends would start another thread, if all they care to do is gripe and worry.

I give you my word that much of this is overblown, and the bulk of whatever existed (such as bathtub stoppers) has since been resolved. To be clear, never at any time, did I observe anything terrible. I've heard reports of water intrusion in some areas. I have not seen any, so I'm unable to comment further.

I'm working on obtaining a complete list of the complaints mentioned by others on this thread, and will provide an update as soon as possible. What I do know, is that one of the 2 Jacuzzis are working, and the other should be working at any time.

I will say this, I'm having by far, the best cruise of my life, even with some tiny (and I mean tiny) observations here and there.

I plan to post another update later tonight. Thanks !

Edited by Host Andy