Host Andy - Live From Azamara Journey !

Andy

Andy,

Updated deck plans show the guest laundry to still be in place. Azamara previously had neat gizmos that added the soap automatically to the washers.

Is this still the case or should I bring a couple of laundry soap "pods" with us ?

THANKS and you and Mum have an awesome time !

Local17

I'm pretty sure it's still that way, but will try to confirm for you. Please stay tuned !

Hi Mcomd508,

I certainly cannot or would not attempt to speak for Bonnie.... but I sincerely hope you will read my comments from a few moments ago, which I hope will temper your concerns. I'm in a Club Continent Suite, and have no issues, other than a television that did not work for one day. I do not believe that any other Suites, other than what I mentioned in my last post, are affected.

I've heard absolutely nothing about missing toilet seats, or bath plugs - but then again, we do not have a bathtub. We have a shower. All is well here. I will inquire about this in the morning.

In all honesty, I do not think things are at all concerning. What little is left to be done, I'd anticipate that much if not all of it will be completed by the end of this sailing. I will also try and obtain an update on the high end suites.

I hope this helps, and I wish you a wonderful cruise !

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your prompt response and your comforting words.

I have just quoted what other cc members posted before you. They made it sound like the ship was still under construction and unfinished.From Bonnie's own words, furniture was not delivered in time and there are temporary replacements for the time being.

Trying to know if things will be addressed before Feb 07 and the suites/outstanding items will have been fixed by then.

Let's see what Bonnie says.

Delighted to read all is well Andy, keep enjoying! Isn't Sooria a star even though he supports the wrong red UK soccer team (a little joke we have with him every cruise)

We slept on the new bed/bedding in the mock up room in Quest and felt if Azamara was able to make only one improvement and they chose one that would make the biggest impact for all, not a few, cruisers the bedding should be the easy winner, so comfortable

Continue to enjoy your trip

Andy, thanks for reporting in with your thoughts. I was beginning to worry all was not well!;) Glad of your overall assessment and they are looking after you. Nicole is a diamond, isn't she? I agree with Ann about Sooria and you have got a great butler there. Nice guy and a sense of humour too. As for the 16oz ribeye I'm such a lightweight these days that the 5oz filet mignon is just right for me and delicious (5oz and 8oz on the menu when I was there, still the same I think).

Keep enjoying!:cool:

Phil

Thank you for you review so far Andy, it's comforting to know the Azamara spirit is alive and well. I remember when we joined the Journey after her last refurb there were still some items outstanding and we had to wait for the new balcony furniture and sunloungers but it didn't detract from the overall experience.

We join the Journey on the 29th Feb and are very much looking forward to joining the Azamara family again.

Andy

Thank you for posting such a well balanced report. The fact that you have been busy enjoying yourself speaks volumes. Anybody with a grain of common sense will have known that there were bound to be snags following such a major refit, so the whining from some is inappropriate at this stage.

It's a wonder that the crew are still smiling - they must be exhausted, to well done to them!

There's a wonderful photo near the end of the dry-dock thread showing Capt. Johannes, Eric and Heike down in the dock. Andy, you might just tease Johannes and ask him what happened to their safety boots !!

Enjoy yourself and if you get 5 minutes could you report on the new Discoveries menus?

So glad your having a wonderful time Andy.

Of course there were always going to be minor snags after such an ambitious refurb project in that small timescale, but it seems that nothing major is missing and the Azamara experience is alive and well.

Andy

Thanks for your report and good to hear all is going well.

On the dry dock thread there were lots of pictures of the suites and your report and the other report so far are from those staying in suites. It would be great if we could have some pictures and information about the other cabins where the majority of us mere mortals will be staying.

Similarly, the reports so far are of the speciality dining. I, and I suspect many others, will be wanting to hear about the main dining room and some information and reports of the new menus that are being introduced.

Also, how is the weather?

Many thanks.

I think Andy has answered most of the questions but thought I would add a few more observations, yes maybe Azamara were a bit ambitious to do all the work in two weeks but the results overall are stunning and I am sure all areas will be fully operational soon.

The Pool area looks classy, last week on Regal Princess we were docked by Silver Wind and that looked dowdy by comparison, again if we compare our CC suite with the stateroom we had on Regal the Azamara offering looks way more modern and is more functional. Somehow the bathroom (and we have a tub) seems much more spacious with plenty of room for all our toiletries, they are on display but that does not worry us. Even the tub itself seems bigger and at 6ft 4ins I have no problem standing under the shower in the tub. We have in the absence of a plug improvised, a plastic tumbler or Pringles lid works just fine!

Internet is probably better than before but not by comparison as fast as we had last week on Princess, also the access system on Princess was way better where you could access your account and get an update of daily activities for free and once logged in you could access the Internet at the touch of a button and log out likewise making it very easy. On here you also stay on the Azamara page but each time we want to use the Internet we have to enter our access code, there is a login option but we have never been given the opportunity to set it up, maybe I'm missing something but the Princess system did seem better.

Going back to the suite, we have the single bed chair it looks good and it's comfortable to sit in but no idea what it would be like as a bed, the "office" type chair is comfortable as well in fact it all looks OK. Storage is aplenty, we are packed for a three week vacation (4 large cases) and have had no problems finding places for everything. The bed and bedding are superb, especially the new pillows which are heavenly. Other than the missing bath plug, a broken hinge on the bathroom door (fixed now) and a minor flood when a pipe broke in the bathroom of the next door suite, again rapidly dealt with, we have had no problems.

As already said the tapas is included, but there is a wine bar in the Living Room offering fine wines at extra cost, and on that point there is a wine by the glass package on offer that we have not seen (or noticed) before, cost is $21.95 per day and offers a selection of wine including a champagne. Included wines have been good so far first day was a pinotage which was extremely drinkable after a long day boarding the ship so much so that I missed the next days although I have been told it was also good. Last night was a new one on us an Italian red called V90 (I think that's right) a replacement for the Chianti Classico again it was fine for us.

As for food we have only eaten in Prime C and Aqualina, so can't comment on the new restaurant menus, we do have a plethora of chefs onboard in addition to Corporate Executive Chef Robert we have both Chef Fabio and Chef Iwan both of them have been very visible around the ship. To date all of our food has been excellent to our taste at least.

Televisions are now working with an interactive menu allowing access to your account, restaurant menus, Land Discoveries and a fault reporting system, there are also pay per view movies not investigated all the options yet but have a feeling some of the options may not yet be fully functional.

Hot tubs of the pool deck have been out of action but it looks like they were being commissioned this morning, however we have been told the T pool will not be available this cruise. New surface on the jogging track is a pleasure to walk on and the same surface has been used on Deck 11, it's a rubberised material that looks and feels good. Wasn't sure about the colour of the fake wood flooring on the pool deck but it's growing on me, as I said before when it's all put together it looks quality.

We worried that the changes would not fit with our thoughts of Azamara, but far from it the whole makeover shouts quality and class, only thing that lets it down is the tacky Park West "art" that should have been put into one of the many skips that took the rubbish away - it just doesn't fit into the new image Azamara is creating! Rant over!

Weather has been perfect so far although we have just had some rain heading into St John's. As suites get more free internet time it's likely we will be posting the most however will try to get updates on other areas if we can.

Andy

Thanks for your report and good to hear all is going well.

On the dry dock thread there were lots of pictures of the suites and your report and the other report so far are from those staying in suites. It would be great if we could have some pictures and information about the other cabins where the majority of us mere mortals will be staying.

Similarly, the reports so far are of the speciality dining. I, and I suspect many others, will be wanting to hear about the main dining room and some information and reports of the new menus that are being introduced.

Also, how is the weather?

Many thanks.

Hi MrMojoRisin,

I'm working on getting the new MDR menus. No reports on the MDR yet, but I'm pretty sure we will be dining there tonight. I will say this - the menus look very very nice ! As for non suite cabins, I plan to try and take some photos. My Sister is in a veranda, and I will ask about taking photos.

Yesterday and Thursday, the weather was perfect - Sunny with a delightful breeze... but today, it's been raining so far. It's only 8:45 am here, so I haven't lost hope for the day.

More to come tonight. Please stay tuned !

Hi Riocca,

Thank you for your informative updates. I think we're doing a nice job of hitting the very important areas, that our wonderful members wish to hear about.

Please look for me around the ship. I will be at the Pook Deck most of the day, and plan to visit The Living Room pre-dinner (around 5 pm).

Have a wonderful day !

As suites get more free internet time it's likely we will be posting the most however will try to get updates on other areas if we can.

We will be boarding next week and I am wondering about internet packages. it has been a while since we were on Azamara last, back then the internet packages were by the minute. celebrity has since gone to 24 hr packages, how is it now on Azamara, still by the minute or per day? from your comment it sounds like we are taking "minute packages", I assume with discounts given based on loyalty level and/or suite type?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!

Thanks for a great report Andy, we were concerned as the days went by with no onboard posters. We will be in 8064 on our first Azamara cruise so glad to see next door is in such good shape with comfortable chairs.

Highly doubt any cruise line can do a refit without a few items falling thru the cracks into the next cruise and glad Azamara is working diligently to complete everything. Sure notes have been taken and the Quest refit will go smoother but, still expect some finishing touches on the next cruise.

Interesting refit story; several years ago on Windstar and they had a refit in France and we were on the next cruise beginning in Barbados. Yes, they deadheaded across the Atlantic for a week working on completing the refit which wasn't near as comprehensive as Journey. Arrived a day late in Barbados but, we were taken care of with a hotel, meals, tour and joined the ship next day. Crew was dog tired and several key personnel had not joined the ship for our cruise. Sports deck was filled with construction materials and completely unusable. We made the best of the situation but, were not happy. With only 144 passengers, everyone discussed all the issues with each other and several people actually decided to fly home from Aruba on their own.

We stuck it out and made the best of the situation and along with others kept notes for our post cruise letter. This was a 2 week trans Panama Canal cruise ending in Costa Rica. We did enjoy ourselves and the others on the cruise and many times extras were included to try and make up for all of the discrepancies which from Journey reports are minor compared to our cruise. About 2 months after getting home was amazed to receive a check for the full cruise amount.

That said, to me the Journey issues are minor and they did start on the right day and appear to have things well in hand. Only compensation I can see might be refunds for those booked in the 2 higher suites to the price for where they actually stayed. The other issues are nits and sure extras on board are being or will be provided leaving a great experience.

We are even more looking forward to our Norwegian Fjord in August in the refurbished Quest.

Thanks again Andy and other onboard posters for filling in those of us who can't wait to experience the Re-Imagination of Azamara.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your very kind comments, and for your concern. I promise to get plenty of rest, and to enjoy every minute onboard Journey.

And of course, being with loved ones always make each cruise very special !

Have a great cruise Andy. Thanks for all you do as a great Host!

Delighted to read all is well Andy, keep enjoying! Isn't Sooria a star even though he supports the wrong red UK soccer team (a little joke we have with him every cruise)

We slept on the new bed/bedding in the mock up room in Quest and felt if Azamara was able to make only one improvement and they chose one that would make the biggest impact for all, not a few, cruisers the bedding should be the easy winner, so comfortable

Continue to enjoy your trip

Interesting that, aside from the excitement of the refurbishment, as you and Host Andy point out it's still the staff that make such an impression. "Welcome home" indeed.

Sooria (The Energizer Bunny) is a gem, and if we meet again I'll have to query his football allegiances :).

Glad that the changes in decor, much anticipated, have not been a disappointment for Andy. And also great that he received well-deserved kudos from Miami and its staff.

Thank you Andy, you are travel hero for your dedication to sharing information! Glad to hear you are having a good time! Question/comment: I guess if you only have a chair in a CC suite those of us in regular veranda stateroom I'll also have a chair rather than a small sofa? Have to say that is a disappointment to me as at the Azamara price point it seems a sofa would be a basic -- even in basic balcony category on Celebrity we had a sofa. If you could confirm furniture in staterooms that would be appreciated!

Thank you Andy, you are travel hero for your dedication to sharing information! Glad to hear you are having a good time! Question/comment: I guess if you only have a chair in a CC suite those of us in regular veranda stateroom I'll also have a chair rather than a small sofa? Have to say that is a disappointment to me as at the Azamara price point it seems a sofa would be a basic -- even in basic balcony category on Celebrity we had a sofa. If you could confirm furniture in staterooms that would be appreciated!

Pictures and renderings of veranda staterooms have always showed loveseats. Perhaps not in connecting rooms because of the connecting door.

Hi Wacktle,

I'm not Riocca, but the tapas in the Living Room are included, and you can still take your cuisine from Windows Café (or elsewhere) to the back of the ship. It's not an extra fee area. Originally, a Specialty venue was planned, but that was scrapped some time ago.

Hope this helps !

Thanks Andy (and Marinaro44 & Riocco who also replied). Really great news. Also, many thanks from me to Andy for all the photos and updates. It's really good to see and hear everything.

Edited by Wacktle
To add another thank you

We stayed in the mocked up room on Quest last month and it certainly had a sofa, its quite small but perfectly adequate