Host Andy - Live From Azamara Journey !

Andy

There should still be a reply button or icon. Might vary depending on which platform (app, mobile, desktop etc) you're using.

Twitter has FAQs that can help you figure it out.

Got it figured out. I also had people following me that I have no clue who they are, so I blocked them.

Hi, not trying to hijack Andy's thread but thought as people were complaining about lack of information I would add our thoughts.

So far we are enjoying the cruise but it's not the usual Azamara experience, shame as there are many first timers onboard who I doubt will return. Things have been a bit strange onboard and I am sure it will be stunning when completed but it is a bit like moving into a new house when the builders haven't quite finished!

None of the largest suites have been completed with those passengers moved to CC suites and the top management who were due to travel not now traveling.

We are in a CC suite and first impression was that it looks great but we were worried about the practically, this was unfounded as we have found there is plenty of storage. On the minus side we have a bathtub but the contractors threw away all the bath plugs, although tomorrow there is a shopping trip planned for the officers to go to St Thomas and buy these and other missing items, we did talk to some fellow passengers who were missing a toilet seat. Bathroom it's self is fine and we have no problem with storage.

As for the rest of the ship it appears to be getting there today there was a lot of cleaning and painting on deck. The Living room is great and the tapas last night delicious, seems to be much more space than before somehow. Likewise with Windows and the back deck which when we have wanted to use it has never been crowded, however we are not sure if the tables there are the proper ones as they look like the ones used for White Night but we will try to find out.

Every where is looking much fresher and cleaner, more "upmarket" given a few more days I am sure everything would have been near perfect.

Prime C and Aqualina are still very much the same but we have not been in Discoveries other than for the drill so can't comment on that, the Patio looks good and has been very popular at lunch times although again we haven't eaten there.

Staff are cheerful and accommodating as always but you can see they are tired and covering it well, some passengers are less tolerant and the constant moaning is tiresome, maybe understandable but we are on calm seas under clear Caribbean sky's and there is plenty of good food and drink so why work yourself up and ruin the vacation?

Internet is OK but not very fast, doesn't seem any faster than before which is why you're unlikely to see many pictures. Don't know if this will improve but the tv's in the cabins have only just been commissioned.

That's our initial thoughts anyway, we have been promised surprises and treats during the cruise and we look forward to finding out what these may be.

I have written this off line and hope that I can copy and paste OK on an iPad as I've never tried it beforehand, will be checking in on the thread from time to time so if you have any questions I will try to answer them if I can.

Thanks for your report. I knew Heike had planned to be on the ship but had to leave in Miami because there was no room.

Post dry dock cruises are always challenging. I am sure there will be a lot of lessons learned for Quests dry dock and I hope you get a bath plug soon!!

Riocca,

Great attitude. Thank you so much for letting us know how things are going. Much of what you have to say is not really surprising as so much was planned it is understandable that some things were not finished. Although it is funny to hear about throwing away the bathtub plugs and forgetting a toilet seat (but not to the people who needed them!). :D

When we were on the Quest last spring, both Phillip and Captain Carl said more than once that the internet would be "more pervasive". I thought that was an interesting choice of words and interpreted it to mean that the signal would be strengthened throughout the ship but not necessarily faster. But I admit that is because I am a little skeptical at times.

Would you please answer one burning question? What is the furniture in your tub-equipped CC suite? Is the a sofa bed and comfy chair, similar to pre-drydock or the same larger chair and office-type chair pictured on facebook in the shower-equipped suite?

Edited by bob278

... we have been promised surprises and treats during the cruise ...

Hmmm ... maybe bathtub plugs and toilet seats ???:D:D:D

Well, enjoy your cruise. We're looking forward to boarding next Sunday as you leave. Hope you get it all nice and shiny by then.

The Living room is great and the tapas last night delicious, seems to be much more space than before somehow. Likewise with Windows and the back deck which when we have wanted to use it has never been crowded, however we are not sure if the tables there are the proper ones as they look like the ones used for White Night but we will try to find out.

Hi Riocca,

Can you help on a couple pf items please? Are the tapas in The Living Room part of the "more inclusive" package? Is it still possible to eat out on the back deck from the buffet in Windows in the evening, or if it now a pay-extra area? (I lost the plot on the discussions on that one !!!!!)

Hi Riocca,

Can you help on a couple pf items please? Are the tapas in The Living Room part of the "more inclusive" package? Is it still possible to eat out on the back deck from the buffet in Windows in the evening, or if it now a pay-extra area? (I lost the plot on the discussions on that one !!!!!)

Having followed both "plots" with some care, I believe the answer to both is "yes."

QUOTE: "Likewise with Windows and the back deck which when we have wanted to use it has never been crowded, however we are not sure if the tables there are the proper ones as they look like the ones used for White Night but we will try to find out."

The new tables for the outdoor deck of the Windows Cafe, aka the Sunset Bar, have not yet arrived. The tables presently out there are temporary. We are very sorry for any inconvenience.

Riocca, appreciate the report. I hope things are smoothed out over the coming days and you enjoy your cruise. These immediate post dry dock cruises I have always thought to be a challenge!

One question. Does the internet speed seem better than before and if so significantly?

Phil

Riocca said:

Internet is OK but not very fast, doesn't seem any faster than before which is why you're unlikely to see many pictures. Don't know if this will improve but the tv's in the cabins have only just been commissioned.
Edited by Pam

I have hesitated to post on this topic but I would never book a cruise on any ship coming out of dry dock particularly when there were extensive changes. They just are never done on time. Cruise Critic is full of stories of work incomplete for days or weeks following dry dock. Once the dust settles, I am sure the upgrades will be great.

I have hesitated to post on this topic but I would never book a cruise on any ship coming out of dry dock particularly when there were extensive changes. They just are never done on time. Cruise Critic is full of stories of work incomplete for days or weeks following dry dock. Once the dust settles, I am sure the upgrades will be great.

I agree wholeheartedly. And, as Bonnie posted, some containers were not delivered that should have been and weather also played somewhat of a factor.

Edited by midwestchick

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to report that we are alive and well, and there's no need to file a missing persons report :)

My apologies for the delay in reporting. The main reason is.... we're having a fantastic time. Also, I had some minor issues setting up the Internet (partly my fault), but all is fine now. No worries, I'm taking plenty of notes, and I plan to continue with updates as often as possible.

It's been about 4 years since we last sailed with Azamara, but the outstanding service and cuisine, is exactly as I remembered. Even more amazing, is that several of the crew, remembered me right away, and said "welcome home". Yes, I do feel as if I'm home again.

Ready, Set, Wait :

As reported on Wednesday, we had a delayed embarkation, as we boarded the ship at 5 pm. While there was a fair amount of sour faces in the terminal, I thought Azamara handled things well, offering sandwiches, pasta, beverages, and.... the option to visit the Royal Caribbean cafeteria for a complmentary lunch, as their complex is only a few yards away from terminal J at the Port of Miami. Sure, some would say that may not be the best way to start a cruise, but after the extensive work done to Journey, we had no problem with the brief delay whatsoever. Besides, my excitement level was through the roof, as I knew I'd be onboard soon, so I surely wasn't about to let a small delay upset me.

Had something awesome happen in the terminal. I had the opportunity to meet Larry Pimentel, and, the Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean, Richard Fain. Larry was extremely gracious to share very kind comments about my work on Cruise Critic with Mr Fain, and I was very proud. It's things like that, along with your wonderful comments, that keep my passion so strong. Larry was smiling from ear to ear. After boarding Journey myself, I can see why he's so happy. He has great reason to be very proud of the reimagined Journey.

I also had the opportunity to meet the Le Club Voyage Ambassador, Nicole Lukacs. Not only is she as sweet as can be, but it's so easy to see how much she cares about Azamara, and the guest experience. I'm so pleased that Azamara listened to my suggestion of offering a dedicated Guest Ambassador. Wow, did they ever choose the right person. Well done Azamara & Nicole !

First Impressions :

In a word ? Wow. I can't imagine that so much work has been done in only 2 weeks. Frankly, I do not know how they did it, especially in light of hearing some of the drydock horror stories, including dismal weather, and several containers of materials being delayed or, never making it to the shipyard. Still, Azamara found a way to put nearly all of the project together by the deadline, and deliver a beautifully reimagined Journey. I think that everyone at Azamara in Miami, and especially their officers and crew - all who worked endlessly and tirelessly, should be very proud of the transformation. Last I heard, the only cabins that are unavailable, are the CW and CO Suites, and the 2 Spa Suites. If I can obtain a status on them, I will be sure to update in a future installment.

How Suite it is :

We are in a Club Continent Suite (8066), which looks great. I'm very pleased with the updates, and the Suite is lovely and inviting. The only issue our Suite had, was the TV did not work for the first day. Not a big deal. From what I can recall from 4 years ago, it seems most everything in the Suite has been updated. The beds are HEAVENLY ! Our cabin has the shower and a large olive green chair. The shower is wonderful - with both a main shower head, and a hand-held shower head too - Nice. I know there's been a great deal of discussion about the chair, but I like it ! - very comfy, but I can see how some might prefer the small sofa. Just a personal preference I suppose.

The toiletries are About Rose. I know nothing about this stuff, (hey, I'm a guy !), but it smells really nice. My Mom says it's "absolutely lovely" - which is high praise.

About the carpet in the Suite. Yes, I was someone who really didn't care for it from the photos. When I first walked into the Suite - I still didn't care for it... but ya know what ? It's growing on me. Different for sure... but if that's the worst thing I can say about the Suite, and it is... then it's safe to say that Azamara has done a wonderful job.

I'm enjoying the new interactive TV system - several new channels, movies (for a fee), and many ways to get to know the ship, without leaving your cabin. Our Butler, Sooria (his name translates to "Sun") is fantastic, and readily available for whatever we might need. He's another of Azamara's shining stars.

Prime C :

On Wednesday night (Day 1) we dined at Prime C. I had the Tuna Tartare appetizer, warm water Lobster salad, and 16 oz on the the bone Ribeye steak. For dessert, the mini cinnamon sugar donuts, served with 3 different sauces, (chocolate, vanilla, and caramel). Everything was absolutely wonderful. The Ribeye steak and tuna tartare were the highlights of the meal. As I've said for years, Prime C is the best specialty restaurant at sea, and it certainly delivered big time tonight.

Internet :

BTW, I think the Internet speed is greatly improved, and, so far, it's staying connected.... which is vastly different from what I experienced on our last Journey cruise. I certainly hope it will continue this way. Tomorrow, I will check out the Internet connectivity on my tablet and cell phone.

Final Day 1 Thoughts :

Now that I'm online, I wanted to share a few final thoughts for this installment. I just read through some of the comments on this thread, and I'm not in total agreement. I must say that for a post Drydock sailing, Azamara has done an incredible job. Are there little things here and there ? Is there some painting that is warranted ? Is there some work to be completed ? Yes, but nothing remotely enough to be upset or concerned about.

If you have any questions, please post on this thread, and I will try my very best to obtain answers. That's all for now. I will post day 2 and 3 insights over the weekend. I will try my best to post on a more regular basis. Please stay tuned !

Edited by Host Andy

QUOTE: "Likewise with Windows and the back deck which when we have wanted to use it has never been crowded, however we are not sure if the tables there are the proper ones as they look like the ones used for White Night but we will try to find out."

The new tables for the outdoor deck of the Windows Cafe, aka the Sunset Bar, have not yet arrived. The tables presently out there are temporary. We are very sorry for any inconvenience.

Dear Connie and Andy,

When are all the outstanding issues going to be addressed? I understand that difficulties may show up during a major makeover like this, but missing furniture, toilet seats and bath plugs? Unfinished suites? Maybe Azamara was too ambitious with the schedule for the dry dock.

I am booked for the upcoming Feb 07 cruise and am rather disappointed that I may be potentially sailing in an unfinished product.

Will Azamara offer any form of compensation for their guests who are currently on board or who will be boarding soon and may be facing the same problems?

There was certainly no discount on the pricing of the cruise to make up for all these inconveniences.

I have posted this, but had addressed it to the wrong recipient.

Please see below:

Dear Bonnie and Andy,

When are all the outstanding issues going to be addressed? I understand that difficulties may show up during a major makeover like this, but missing furniture, toilet seats and bath plugs? Unfinished suites? Maybe Azamara was too ambitious with the schedule for the dry dock.

I am booked for the upcoming Feb 07 cruise and am rather disappointed that I may be potentially sailing in an unfinished product.

Will Azamara offer any form of compensation for their guests who are currently on board or who will be boarding soon and may be facing the same problems?

There was certainly no discount on the pricing of the cruise to make up for all these inconveniences.

I have posted this, but had addressed it to the wrong recipient.

Please see below:

Dear Bonnie and Andy,

Hi Mcomd508,

I certainly cannot or would not attempt to speak for Bonnie.... but I sincerely hope you will read my comments from a few moments ago, which I hope will temper your concerns. I'm in a Club Continent Suite, and have no issues, other than a television that did not work for one day. I do not believe that any other Suites, other than what I mentioned in my last post, are affected.

I've heard absolutely nothing about missing toilet seats, or bath plugs - but then again, we do not have a bathtub. We have a shower. All is well here. I will inquire about this in the morning.

In all honesty, I do not think things are at all concerning. What little is left to be done, I'd anticipate that much if not all of it will be completed by the end of this sailing. I will also try and obtain an update on the high end suites.

I hope this helps, and I wish you a wonderful cruise !

Hi Riocca,

Hi Wacktle,

I'm not Riocca, but the tapas in the Living Room are included, and you can still take your cuisine from Windows Café (or elsewhere) to the back of the ship. It's not an extra fee area. Originally, a Specialty venue was planned, but that was scrapped some time ago.

Hope this helps !

Maybe he is waiting to post until the ship gets to a port and he can access free wifi from a cafe etc.

Hi Grandma cruising,

I will definitely be posting directly from the ship.