Kids dress code for dinner?

loricfam

We are taking our first RCI cruise in March. My husband and I are set with the smart casual/formal night dress code, but what about kids? I have a 12 yo son and 9 yo daughter. On the non-formal nights can they wear shorts to dinner in the MDR? My 12 yo son basically lives in basketball shorts. He owns one pair of dress pants (from Christmas) that he will wear on the formal nights. I'm really hoping the dress code is only for adults and that kids can wear shorts in the MDR!

You can probably do anything you want because the cruise line is unlikely to enforce any dress suggestion.

However, they do specifically ask that shorts not be worn in the Main Dining Room for dinner. No mention of age, type of shorts, etc.

The dress code does apply to every one but as Bob said its not always enforced. Does your son own a pair of jeans or khakis? Those are allowed on any night and he could change back into shorts after dinner.

Edited by BekkaW

We are taking our first RCI cruise in March. My husband and I are set with the smart casual/formal night dress code, but what about kids? I have a 12 yo son and 9 yo daughter. On the non-formal nights can they wear shorts to dinner in the MDR? My 12 yo son basically lives in basketball shorts. He owns one pair of dress pants (from Christmas) that he will wear on the formal nights. I'm really hoping the dress code is only for adults and that kids can wear shorts in the MDR!

No the suggested dress guidelines are not just for adults. As it should be.

Edited by davekathy

My 13, 11 and 9 YO boys basically live in basketball shorts too.

When we cruise we have them bring one pair of khacki/chinos to wear with a button up polo shirt for the formal nights. For the other nights in the MDR I have them wear jeans with a nice shirt too. I tell them they must wear it to dinner and then can change into whatever they want afterwards.

They don't like it, but hey I'm spending all the money taking them on a fabulous cruise and they get to have crazy amounts of fun, they can ate least wear what I want them to wear for dinner each night. ;)

He doesn't even own khakis or jeans, but I can buy him a pair of jeans. Does he have to wear a collared shirt in the MDR on non-formal nights?

Don't sweat it. Per the dress code: "Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants." Your son will be fine in a pair of shorts.

He doesn't even own khakis or jeans, but I can buy him a pair of jeans. Does he have to wear a collared shirt in the MDR on non-formal nights?

When you're buying him his jeans also buy him a polo shirt with his favorite sports team logo on it.

Edited by davekathy

Don't sweat it. Per the dress code: "Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants." Your son will be fine in a pair of shorts.
If you are going to quote the dress code you might quote the rest of the SAME paragraph: T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch. The first paragraph of the Dress Code (which we all were conveniently given a link to by reallyitsmema) clearly states Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

I'm usually smart enough to NOT comment on dress threads, but the basketball shorts I see kids wear are baggy and saggy; essentially the equivalent of a wifebeater shirt.:eek: You know what the rules are. I would barely flinch a neat shorts, but if you are looking for validation for basketball shorts at dinner at any age, you not getting it from me.

Edited by TravelerThom

Actually, that goes on to say that t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch. That carries the implication that they are not acceptable for dinner, and in another section of their website, you can find a more explicit statement that says:

"Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner."

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, but don't want to see you give out incorrect information. The previous replies were more accurate in saying that they are not generally in the business of enforcing dress, so the kids would probably get away with it, but it's not considered appropriate.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal to see people in nicer shorts, but athletic shorts would seem inappropriate to me.

Does Royal even have formal nights anymore? I'm losing track.

My kids are 8 and 9. My daughter pretty much goes formal every night. My son will wear dress shorts and a polo on the first night. He will wear a tux one formal night and a suit on the second formal night. The other nights he will wear casual pants (children's place) and a collared shirt.

I think Children should be taught to dress up and respect dress codes. My children enjoy it. Problem is when the cruise line doesn't enforce it .... and everyone does what they want, there really isn't much point in a dress code.

My personal thought is that the basket ball shorts and t-shirts with sports logos are fine for the day and the Windjammer but not for the MDR. The MDR is still a formal dining space whether or not the dress code is enforced.

We have not sailed Royal in a few years. Our last Royal cruise was a few years ago, and at that time, my kids were completely at pace with the majority of the passengers. Most kids I saw were dressed the same. Based on what I read above ... might change the way we pack for our upcoming Oasis sailing.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

My sons are now 22 and 17 and I have never allowed them to wear basketball shorts to dinner. They have been sailing since they were pretty little. They change when they are done with dinner. If you are not eating in the main dining room but in the Windjammer then you will be fine in shorts.

Actually, that goes on to say that t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch. That carries the implication that they are not acceptable for dinner, and in another section of their website, you can find a more explicit statement that says:

"Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner."

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, but don't want to see you give out incorrect information. The previous replies were more accurate in saying that they are not generally in the business of enforcing dress, so the kids would probably get away with it, but it's not considered appropriate.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal to see people in nicer shorts, but athletic shorts would seem inappropriate to me.

While I agree, you can imply that shorts are not acceptable in the MDR for dinner; there is nothing that explicitly says shorts cannot be worn for dinner. Add on top of that the fact that in actuality, people wear shorts to dinner all the time to dinner in the MDR and it is easy to imply the opposite.

Are you looking for answers that tell you what you can get away with or what is the right thing to do? All through life your son is going to be expected to act or dress in a certain way for certain activities. ( School/band/church/part-time job/job interview.....) At 12 years old he is almost a teenager. Time to dress according to the situation at hand. Get him a couple of pairs of khaki pants - maybe in a dark color so they won't show the dirt, and two or three simple polo or collared shirts. You can pick them up at Ross or TJ Max or Goodwill for a very small amount of money. Have him change right before dinner, and then head back to the cabin after dinner and put his comfort clothing back on. It's two hours a night that he should comply with your wishes - not the other way around.

When you're buying him his jeans also buy him a polo shirt with his favorite sports team logo on it.

Polo shirt isn't required. And who cares about sports? Give people accurate answers. Suggesting someone "dress up" wearing sports logo gear is tacky, IMO.

Ever see a woman turned away in shorts? I haven't. And I have seen a LOT of women in shorts.

The reality is jeans and a t-shirt is really all that is the baseline and perfectly acceptable for a kid. Shorts probably aren't an issue in real life either.

Edit: just saw "basketball" shorts. That probably would get them turned away. Dressier shorts are likely no problem at all.

Edited by LMaxwell

My sons are now 22 and 17 and I have never allowed them to wear basketball shorts to dinner. They have been sailing since they were pretty little.

My son just turned 18, and he wouldn't be allowed to go out to dinner in basketball shorts even off a cruise, at least not at any restaurant where you are seated and served. But, we all have our own standards. :)

My son just turned 18, and he wouldn't be allowed to go out to dinner in basketball shorts even off a cruise, at least not at any restaurant where you are seated and served. But, we all have our own standards. :)

Who would not allow him? You, the parent, or the restaurant? Pretty sure that's your parental prerogative speaking there (which is fine)

While I agree, you can imply that shorts are not acceptable in the MDR for dinner; there is nothing that explicitly says shorts cannot be worn for dinner. Add on top of that the fact that in actuality, people wear shorts to dinner all the time to dinner in the MDR and it is easy to imply the opposite.

No, it's not merely implied, when they say, "Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner." That statement is pretty clear; not an implication. The reason that people "wear shorts to dinner all the time to dinner" is that they don't care that it's not considered appropriate attire or perhaps just didn't see the above statement and don't know any better.

Edited by Paul65

Try checking out the sign outside the MDR that explicitly says "no shorts . . . ." The only reason it's not strictly enforced is that they don't want to get into a tussle with the yahoos who blatantly disregard not only the sign but the published rules (and, yes, rules differ from suggestions as in "suggested dress code").

There is actually a sign outside the MDR that says no shorts at dinner.

I agree with others, we usually bring 2 pairs of pants for both my son and husband. They rotate through them each night and change right after dinner.

We either dress per suggested guidelines of go elsewhere for dinner. Of course has been stated you may not get stopped if you don't.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

the dress code is for EVERYONE.

shorts are specifically asked to NOT be worn at dinner on any day in the MDR.